Villa Rentals

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villa Rentals

I am considering renting a villa/house for my honeymoon in november. Has anyone done this before? Any advice? Is it worth the money? Any problems with the house/appliances/bugs or the island?
Thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM

We have rented villas in Bermuda and St. John USVI, and I have to say it is wonderful and our preferred way of vacationing. The privacy is much better than a hotel and the amount of space is much much greater. We have rented beautiful villas on the waterfront with pools and jacuzzis, so even the amenities are comparable. The cost of a villa will be no greater and often much less than a hotel. For example, if you stayed at a resort on St. John, you would end up spending about $700/night. A gorgeous, romantic villa for two can be less than $400/night. In November, the Caribbean hasn't hit its high season yet, so prices will be lower. The only issue with a villa is that there's usually no daily maid service. Other than that, you have the option to prepare a few meals on your own in a villa. In a hotel, you have to go out every meal. If I had my honeymoon to do over again, I'd definitely rent a villa. Of course, all villas are different. Some offer airconditioning, some do not. Some have bugs, others less so. But it's the tropics, even resorts experience some insect issues. Any ideas what island(s) you're interested in?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Info. I was considering St. John. Ive been looking at onlinevacations.com, they seem to have a large selection. Do you other reccomendations? What villa did you stay at in St. John? Is it difficult to get around the town from the villa?
Thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Ahh...now you've said the magic words..."St. John." There are many experts on this board. We stayed in a villa called "Fantastic View." Since then it has changed owners, and thank goodness too because the previous owner was a real creep. We did not rent through an agency and that is the only regret I have regarding that rental. Nothing went wrong with our stay, and the villa was very beautiful, just the owner was a real pill to deal with. I don't know who owns it now or what name it is under. It overlooked Great Cruz Bay, and that location is actually an easy few minutes drive into the main town of Cruz Bay. Several people on this board have suggested "Honeymoon Cottage" which is a short distance to Frank Bay, a very nice beach, and a walkable distance from town. There is also the option of renting a condo. such as Gallows Point which is waterfront and has a pool, less privacy though because it's in a complex. I have always been intrigued by a place called "Crow's Nest" which is sort of an apartment on the second floor of a building right on the edge of the water in Cruz Bay. It looks so-oo adorable, and the whole town is conveniently at your door. St. John is a pretty small island but I would definitely recommend renting a car for at least a couple of days even if you are within walking distance of things. It is very beautiful and laid-back. Has most American conveniences yet still has that Caribbean ambiance. It is also considered a very safe place. Some people face villa rental with a bit of trepidation, but really, the rental agencies are usually very eager to make your arrival and settling-in as easy as possible. It's only good for business. Take a look at carefreegetaways.com and caribbeandays.com and cateredto.com If you have any questions regarding St. John or locations of specific villas, please feel free to ask. Like I said, there are plenty of St. John nuts on this board.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Violu
In December of 2002 we were married in St. John. We leased a villa - OMG I cant remember the name of it. It was high up in the mountains with a beautiful view of Cruz Bay. The deck had a hot tub and Gazebo where we stood to recite the vows. Gentle breezes, the entire place was decorated with those native red flowers and the view ws breathtaking.
The villa's name was one word and started with a C..... something like Corolla. An unbelievable experience and the entire 5-days there was about $2500 for 4 people. While you may have a problem recalling the name of the place, you will never forget the experience, sights, and sounds.
shrink
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Check out Island-getaways.net. You might find something you like. There are loads of wonderful little villas all over the island. Villas are definitely the way to go, both financially and for privacy. Most management companies who handle the bookings are very very efficient. But it's getting very close to season, so I suggest you make your decision soon. Good luck and congratulations.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:54 PM

We normally rent when we go on vacation, regardless of where we go. Nevis, St Barths, Virgin Gorda, USVI, etc.

I am renting a villa in St Barths in Nov. St Barths is one of the best to rent a villa as there are so many to chose from. It is a fantastic way to spend your honeymoon. www.stbarth.com (St Barths Properties) has tons of villas. They have a fantastic reputation and lots of villas (more than 200) in their inventory.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:55 PM

Also, no matter where you go, if you have any problems with the villa the company should give you a contact number in case there are any problems, or bugs, etc. GL
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:08 AM

another island with tons of villas is provo in the turks and caicos. start by looking at www.provo.net , www.wherewhenhow.com , or www.searchtci.com , for all the links to rental companies.
have rented here and bvi always with excellent results. many houses particularly on jamaica (another many villa island) do come with maids, cooks, gardeners. and pools and lovely private yards next to the beach. hmmm can't wait for our next trip. maybe renting villa on maya riviera this spring.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM

st. john is my favorite island. i've sent many honeymooners there and all have come home with wonderful stories and thanks for telling about it.there are so many villas to choose.we have rented from the same company for years, they would be very helpfull in picking the right villa for you, and any info you want regarding the island. i would suggest renting a car to explore all there is.there are so many beaches to relax and play on, great restaurants and fun bars to meet people, just be friendly and you'll find new friends. rent a villa w/pool, it's so nice to lounge in it after a day on a beach or just traveling the island/hiking etc. check this site www.caribbeanvilla.com. 800-338-0987 st. john is a safe, beautiful island..you won't regret it !!! have fun !!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I will spend two weeks in St John next May for my honeymoon. We considered Caneel Bay but found we could rent a villa for 2 wks for not much more than just a week at the resort.

I must have looked at hundreds of villas from numerous agencies and revised my 'short list' many times. We finally settled on a villa called Southern Cross through seaview homes. We like the decor, the pool area, the king bed and the privacy. And even though it has 4 bedrooms, we are only paying the rate for 2 people.

After looking at villas, the thought of sharing space with anyone felt too crowded for a honeymoon! I envision a relaxing start to the day with a simple breakfast on our deck and on our schedule, exploring different beaches in the morning, and relaxing by the pool in the afternoon with wine or cocktails. Then a late dinner at one of the many restaurants or a nice meal prepared on the grill and enjoyed by a magnificent sunset.

The villas come with everything you need- all applicances, beach chairs, and laundry facilities. I plan to pack very lightly with mostly casual clothes. We did choose one with a/c in the bedroom.

All in all, I believe it will be a perfect honeymoon. Good luck with your plans!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!! I think we've narrowed it down to Drakes View and Villa Carolina. Any opinions??
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Very nice villas! Drake's View is more centrally located than Villa Carolina. They are both beautiful with spectacular views. They are not that far from one another. I would post on USVI-On-Line and see if anyone has reviewed these specific villas.