Search

Best Resort in T & C..........

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Ike
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Resort in T & C..........

My wife and I are looking at The Palms but Grace Bay Club and others look nice. $$$$ is no problem. My wife loves a great beach and a spa as well as a beach view room. I'm just along for the ride and stay in the shade. Good food is a must. Thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM

It depends on when you're going, of course, but if money is truly no object (and by that I mean if you can afford in excess of $1000 per night), then consider Amanyari, which opens in March. The resort experience with Aman is truly unparalleled anywhere in the world. If you can afford a grand vacation but not something like that, then either of these would be a good choice, but also consider Point Grace.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM

We have been to Provo 21 times and have stayed at Coral Gardens 15 times. Just got back and stayed in penthouse suite 1312. Suggest that or 1302 which is also a penthouse suite. Nice reef for snorkeling right off ther beach. In our opinion the Spa and dinner restaurant Coyaba are the best on Provo
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM

ike - let your wife take you along with her to anacona restaurant at grace bay club whether you stay there or not. its my favorite. you dine under a giant thatched palapya. its so romantic, and good food.
you could rent a villa with staff and have massage/spa treatment ppl come to her, while you are nearby in the shade... there are some stunning houses on provo.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Doug; Fodor's is correct most of the time. But the 2 Aman in Asia we have stayed at in the past 4 years were fair to good at outlandish prices.
I too am willing to go fairly top draw, but not $1000/day, but just because one Rock Resort managed resort is superb does not insure others will be.
I am trying to find out why Parrot Cay is not high on travelers list in the T&C.
It looks like I may go myself to Coral Gardens. I have no aversion to saving money.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Parrot Cay is high on everybodies lists. The difference between Parrot Cay and the others, is that Parrot Cay is on it's own Cay, so it's isolated from everything. You can only go to their restaurants, etc. All the other resorts are on Provedenciales (Provo) mostly on Grace Bay Beach. That gives access to moving around, and picking restaurants.
I would go to Parrot Cay and be perfectly happy!
You may also want to look at Point Grace and Turks and Caicos Club.
All the resorts mentioned are on the same beach, except for Parrot Cay. That beach is spectacular.
Even if you choose one, you can still use a spa at another.
there are some great restaurants on Provo.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:49 AM

bloma; Do you know if the meal prices at Parraot Cay are as high as their guest rooms. I am not looking for Cap Juluca food or prices. Good food at dinner prices of $80-$ a couple for 3 course dinner.
Also, is the snorkeling around Parrot Cay as varied as from say Coral Gardens on Provo?? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Well, at the very least, I seem to have provoked some discussion. Parrot Cay is a very nice resort and also very expensive. The only quarrel I have with a place like Parrot Cay is that you're paying as much for the exclusivity and proximity to visiting celebrities as the service and superior facilities. I expect it's unlikely you'd be able to get a dinner at Parrot Cay for even $80 per person, much less $80 a couple, but I can't tell you that with any certainty. Other posters will be able to. As for Aman, if you take advantage of what the resorts can offer (most notably the special tours and access that only these resorts can get for normal folks who are willing to pay the price ... as opposed to visiting celebrities and dignitaries), that's the only way you can justify the price. But to be honest, I don't think any resort is ever really worth more than $1000 a night. So I guess I kind of agree with StanKase here.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Stankase & Ike: Parrot Cay is isolated, and the food very expensive! $80 per person per meal to start. That might even be LUNCH prices.
It sounds like you will be better off staying on Grace Bay Beach. Plenty of excellent restaurant choices, in different price budgets. (Even if you can afford $400 meals, it's good to mix it up!)
I have only been through the Palms and Grace Bay Club, but I have heard their spas are excellent. Coral Gardens is also nice, and I think they include a welcome massage in their rates. (You may have to double check that) Turks and Caicos Club is gorgeous, but you may need a car, as to not as close to other restaurants. Point Grace is also an excellent choice. All are on the same beach, all have excellent restaurants. The best beach snorkeling is in front of Coral Gardens, and at Smith's Reef at Turtle Cove. Aman is pretty isolated from the "hub" and has horrible roads leading to it. (you would need a 4x4) although I think they will have boats to go back in forth. (not fun in the dark!) Not entirely sure about that either.
My favorite restaurant chioces:
Hemmingways at the Sands Resort. It is a deck on the beach, resonable prices. (go to thesandsresort.com, click on resort, click on Hemmingways, click on menu)
I love Tiki Hut, while casual, it's a fun place to go.
Magnolia's above Turtle Cove has great food, and great sunsets.
Bay Bistro, in Sibonne is excellent, and Anocoana in Grace Bay Club is pricey but worth it.
the Spa at the Palm's is probably the best on the island.
Stankase: Parrot Cay food might even be pricier than Cap Jaluca. the difference between the 2, is at Cap Jaluca, you can go around Anguilla and pick your restaurants, at Parrot Cay, you can only eat at Parrot Cay.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM

To All; Unless I hear more for feedback for Parrot Cay I think Coral Gardens will be it.

A $150+/couple meal without wine and likely a similar menu each night makes it too exclusive for our tastes. I was raised as a child n a tenement in NYC and overcame obstacles to get to retirement in "some" style but but $2000 for meals in a 6 night trip is excessive for me and that is before tax and service from what I am reading hear on the site. I know some of the celebs and prefer not to see them when I am on vacation. I want to......... snorkel...snorkel...relax without hearing the noise from the resort next door and have good meals but gourmet food that we can get in NYC/NJ.
Any othewr feedback would be helpful, Such as which 3-5 rooms should I request? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM

StanKase

Go for it! It's a nice resort and I found the snorkeling off the beach is good but my view is that any fish watching with 30ft of your room is good. My DH was freaked out by the barracuda so I snorkeled alone
most of the time.

Keep an eye out for the turtles, they are sneaky - they wait until you're swimming in the other direction and then they swim out to sea Also while we were visiting there was a smaller barracuda (18"or so) who stayed a few foot from the waters edge to the left of the resort (as you stand looking out to sea), it's funny how many bathers don't see him, but it's funny when you're snorkeling in 5ft of water to see him hanging out 2/3ft away from the bathers legs!

I did a trip report, try:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34682084

As I said in my report we had booked a one bed room and were upgraded to a one bed suite. The resort was busy but not packed.

Note to self! Always pack a 16yr old - I think they took pity on us
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM

ayla - returning to provo in april and am interested in the glow worm tour. who did you go with? how long does trip last? do you remember the price? thanks. i like the cudas too.
and about amanyari. i looked at their site and i have to say the accomadations are a smidge minimalistic for me. and rms are 1350-1650 a NIGHT. whoa! doug what "special tours and access" would they be offering on provo??
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:49 AM

virginia,

I did a quick search online and I think we must have used Outback tours because it's the only glow worm tour on Sapodilla Bay.

It was the tour recommended by the Coral Garden but he puts a flyer in the magazines that you can pick up at the airport.

He was the cheapest, I think $55 but really can't remember - I do the research and DH pays, Teamwork!!

The tour was a couple of hours long although the glow worms are only 10/15 minutes of that. He's a one-man band who lives on a boat that is moored in Sapodilla Bay with his cat.

We were there low-season so there were only 20 or of us on the boat.
I've seen pictures that make it look like its a seething mass of worms all in the same place but if you've ever seen Fire-flies then that was what it was like while we were there.

Was it interesting - yes! Will I do again, probably not.

If you do the tour of Sapodilla Bay just remember I've got first dibs on the hugely obscene mansion - anyone who has seen it will know what I mean
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM

ayla, lol, i know the house -la koubba i think. have wanted to stay there but years but alas.... no. thanks so much for the info.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM

ike, if your still with us - you might take a look at www.thepalmstc.com or www.pointgrace.com
point grace has an amazing penthouse called the 'nonesuch' with its own massage table room.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:00 PM

virginia,

Is that what it's called? - we were told it had been bought by a young Italian couple who paid a few million for it and spent a few more fixing it up. It has it's own tennis courts and if I lived around there I would be really pi**ed by the floodlights that were lighting them even though the owners still hadn't moved in!