RWI or OC/W?

Nov 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

RWI or OC/W?

We were looking to book a vacation to T&C for May '05 and were looking into staying at either Ocean Club, Ocean Club West or Royal West Indies. All three look comparable to each other, so we are just having a little trouble making that final decision. It seems for the most part that everyone had nice things to say about each, except for a few negatives against RWI.

My first question is what are the drawbacks, if any, with RWI? Secondly, is there a difference between Ocean Club and Ocean Club West? I think I read somewhere that OCW has a swim-up bar, which sounds fun. For our last vacation we went to Anguilla and stayed at Carimar on Meads Bay and loved it! We would like a place that is just as enjoyable.

We are in our early thirties with no children and love the beach. We like to snorkel, but mostly we just like to relax on a beautiful beach. We like going out for dinner and would rather rely on taxis.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Sunnyboy

OC and OCW are virtually identical properties with the main difference being OC is a few years older than OCW - both appeared to be well maintained. The grounds and buildings at both OC & OCW are similarly laid out and they offer almost the same amenities except all the watercraft (sunfish and sailboats) are kept at OC. The two resorts are about a mile or so apart and there is a free shuttle bus that runs between the two every 10 minutes or 15 minutes throughout the day and evening. Guests may use the facilities at either resort. I don't remember there being a swim-up bar at either OC or OCW - at least not when I was there a couple of years ago. Can't comment on RWI as I've never stayed there but all three resorts are on the same stretch of Grace Bay's 11+ miles of pure white sand. There is very little natural vegetation along this beach so bring plenty of sunblock and be sure to use the beach umbrellas provided by the resorts to protect you from the sun. As for snorkeling, there really isn't any near the three resorts you are considering. The best 'off beach" area is at Coral Gardens a couple of miles down Grace Bay - a long walk or short cab ride. You'll need a 4WD vehicle to access other "off beach" snorkel siteson Provo or rely on local tour operators to visit snorkel sites that are accessible only by boat. There are some restaurants within walking distance of each resort but as you surmised you will need a taxi (or rental car) if you want to get the most from your dinning experiences.

Nov 12th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Some people are concerned about RWI because its next to Club Med, but we stayed at RWI last May and that was never an issue. We heard a little carribean music around 5-6 and that was it. Also, is that is a concern, then you should know that OCW is on the other side of Club Med. But Club Med is one of the oldest resorts on the island, and has a HUGE beachfront and is fairly spread out.

I guess the other criticism is that the restaurant at RWI is not the best. We found it OK, but there were better places to be found a relatively short walk away.

I think there is one other beach accessible snorkling spot on Provo. I've heard of a place called Smith's Reef (I think) that is near Turtle Cove, but the reef in from of Coral Gardens is the best known.

If all else is equal, OC is a little more centrally located that the other two, but with the shuttle from OCW that advantage is lessened. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of the three.

We're planning on returning to Provo in May also, and we intend to stay at RWI again. We found no major issues with it, and see no reason to change.

Good luck in your trip planning.

Ken
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Actually Ocean Club it on the other side of Club Med---Ocean Club West is the one that is more centrally located --next to Grace Bay Club and diagonally across from Ports of Call
Nov 12th, 2004, 08:12 AM
cdt

We were at OCW last Dec. and it looked like there had been a swim-up bar but it was no longer in use.

We loved the resort and it did look newer than the original OC. The big question right now is the possibility of construction noise on either side of OCW. Probably best to check with people who have been there very recently.

OC might be quieter, unless something is being built east of it. It has a better restaurant than OCW but is farther away from other facilities.

We walked past RWI and Club Med several times. Club Med is so spread out that it's hard to imagine noise bothering the neighbors, but perhaps you can hear something if you are in the RWI building closest to CM.

Nov 14th, 2004, 02:30 PM

RWI is a great place to stay!! We were there in April with two families. We all enjoyed every part of the resort. The beach is great, the landscaping is beautiful, the accommodations were clean and decorated nicely. It was very quiet when we were there. It was perfect for us.
Snorkelling off the beach at Smith's Reef (Turtle Cove) and Coral Gardens is tops. Swimming with the turtles is always fun.
Have a great stay. We know you'll love it!