Search

Beach Hotel - Negril, Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Hotel - Negril, Jamaica

Yes I am the Mom with 2 daughters!

My last post was for my cliff side considerations.

I plan to split the trip between beach and cliff.

For the beach - I really like to have a water view, however I am thinking that many of the hotels are set back and only maybe the front 2 or so have view? Is this correct?

So after several recommendations and a conversation with OneStop I have maybe possibly narrowed it down to 3.

Opinions? Comparisons?

Nirvano - has a 2BR, but garden view

Country Country - in order to get 2BR, I have to rent 2 rooms - up and down - looks super cute! Is there water view, uncertain here?

Rondel Village - has 2BR with water view

And I still love the look of Idle Awhile! But is my info correct that for the 3 of us, 2BR I would have to be across the road?

Oh and I just remembered! I never got anything back from Whistling Bird - so how would they compare in the mix?

Thank you very much!!!

Does anyone want to book my trip!?!?!? I do love planning and YES it does drive me nuts! Going for a glass of wine and relax!

And BTW this trip is end of May early June!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Idle Awhile doesn't have an "across the road" property. It is on the beach...all of it. And the 2BR room will be plenty for the three of you, I'd think. They are very spacious rooms. It is THE premier beachfront place to stay in Negril. You will not be disappointed. Of the three you have listed, I'd rank Rondel, Nirvana and CC in that order. But IA stands by itself above those. We stay at CocoLaPalm and highly recommend it over the other 3 you have listed, as well.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM

And Whistling Bird? I don't recommend it unless you like a cheap, run down place with a compound appearance complete with a chain link fence around the property.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Carribean Soul

I thought all of IA rooms were 'beachside' but apparently they now have a new suite that sleeps 6 people

http://www.idleawhile.com/vt/111-newersuite_inside.htm.

Country Country - I think you would be lucky to get a beach view since resort isn't very wide but it is deep and the cottages are either side of the path that runs through the middle of the resort.

We walked through from the main road to the restaurant and CC looks a very cute property and will look so much better when the greenery has grown.

The beach is very thin there compared to IA, Most resorts along Negril beach aren't set back as much as shaded for comfort, so a sea view is a premuim.

"however I am thinking that many of the hotels are set back and only maybe the front 2 or so have view"

Do you mean the front 2 hotels????? If that's your understanding, don't worry the hotels are in a line along the beach and have direct access to the beach and the road, while you might not have a sea view from your room you will have one from the bar/restaurant
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Hi...I have looked into staying at most of these properties. Idle Awhile, where we have stayed a few times, only has one bedroom units, a suite and regular rooms. They do have a new unit across the road that sleeps up to 6, I think, and it is very nice but you want to be on the beach! Nirvana has never appealed to me because of the big chainlink fence around the property. I would feel like I was in some sort of a compound, but others may just feel more secure. Lots of shady areas and a good spot on the beach. I have only been in the beachfront rooms which were very large and comfortable.

I have also looked into Country Country. When I called them, they said the premium rooms were beachfront. I went on tripadvisor.com and you can see pictures of some of the views from the balconies in the reviews done by people who have stayed there. 513 & 510 appear to have beach views. Breakfast, which sounds great and everyone liked, is included in the rate. Their beach area is fairly narrow but the property does look really cute. My only concern was no screens....I like to have the room opened up to hear the waves and I think these rooms would be pretty dark with the shutters closed. Maybe they have mosquito netting over the beds? I really hate mosquitos.

Rondel looks great and it's also centrally located and next door to the Boat Bar which I love. I would prefer the beach area at Idle Awhile because there are shady spots and Rondel looks very sunny....but you might want all the sun you can get! Whistling Bird is VERY basic and doesn't really compare to any of the other properties, although I have heard it is very clean and has a loyal following. I guess I would have to vote for Idle Awhile, Rondel, Country Country and Nirvana, in that order... Idle Awhile is just very cool, even if you aren't directly on the beach. But since you need 2 bedrooms, I would pick Rondel. They also have a couple of pools which your girls might like and a great water view from the beachfront rooms. I agree about the planning. I really enjoy it and even like to plan other people's trips, but I get very obsessive until I make my reservations and feel like I have to look at every single room in the entire area. Just thinking about it makes me want to get another glass of wine! Enjoy.......Lori
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Alya - you are right my question did not make much sense! No what I meant was that the front 2 or so rooms of a hotel would have a view beachside. With the other rooms stacked behind toward the road. Still don't know if that makes sense. Oh Well!

Thank you all for your thoughts on these properties.

I have emailed a few of the hotels with specific questions.

And now have given everything to my girls for a final decision!

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM

They are lucky girls! My first trip to Negril was at 18 years old. I have been hooked on Negril and the Caribbean ever since.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM

dfarmer,

no worries Mon, I thought I knew what you meant

I just wanted to clarify it. Don't worry about being 'beachside. Jamaican resorts seem to use greenery as well as AC to keep a room cool, trust them, it works.

I also love the sea (I'm a Brit and we're seafaring people - when you live less than 60 miles from the sea, living in the US can be a shock to the system) however I didn't miss seeing the sea from our room. We had cats!!!! Sooo... skinny but so protective as a group of the kittens.

Most resorts in Negril the beach is a short walk to the beach

The restaurant at CC was very good and the best calamari I'd had in a long time.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeese come back and let us know what you decided and how the girls enjoyed it - you will be helping future travelers
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Am trying to catch up with you dfarmer. I read this post on Negril last summer and enjoyed it so that I bookmarked it. I had correspondance with this "Liz" once, also. I think you would enjoy it too as she (and her husband, I think has gone yearly for ever!!) has been to every location and Negril is her favorite. http://www.alink.com/personal/liz/negril/2003trip.htm She talks of 3 Dives owned by Lloydie and (?). There was a movie made at this 3 Dives lately I think.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

CaribbeanSoul - funny you should say that, actually when the girls and I were discussing this trip yesterday, they were already asking if we could go back for the youngest's graduation in 2007!

Hello Dyer! Thanks for that link, looked at it briefly, will certainly get back to it!

Still deciding on the beach - the girls love Country Country, but if they have a choice we would prefer a 2 BR. Nirvana is their top choice of the ones I offered. Rondel is mine. So we will see!

Thanks all, great info!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM

We loved 3 Dives also. The "movie" that you might be referring to is an installment of The Amazing Race where they made a stop at 3 Dives for some onion chopping. Lloydie has lots of memorabilia that he shared with us at our request, I am a big "Race" fan. Funny you should mention the "Granny Sauce" and how it is bottled. We bought 16oz while we were there, love that spicy stuff. It came in a recycled spring water bottle. We still have some from July. Too many hot peppers in that stuff to go bad!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I have always loved the lookof Country Country !!! Too Cute . Same people designed the posh Compass Point I think ...?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM

brenandg - YES, the Amazing Race (my memory fails me on occasion) and I didn't see that show but I wish I would have seen 3 Dives on t.v.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Dyer - THANK YOU for that link!! Awesome amount of info, kind of like an easy to read condensed guidebook! Within this site is a link to Irie Vibes, has a jukebox, what a way to plan your trip with tunes of Jamaica playing through my speakers.

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Caribbeansoul, Whistling Bird is not surrounded by a chain link fence, you are thinking of a different hotel, probably Yellow Bird.

COMPLETELY different.

Dyer, glad you like the site
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Liza: Yes...you are correct. I wasn't thinking clearly. Yellow Bird is the one I was referring to and not Whistling Bird. Sorry for the mixup.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM

I was hoping you would have time to read Liza'a post, dfarmer! Glad you found it interesting. I could follow her to Jamaica just as easily as I did faithie to Yelapa, Mexico!!!! Oh, well, someday. Work sure can get in the way of fun!!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM

dfarmer - had to add this tidbit. Michael "mike" or "skinny" Miller of the Grizzlies is from our hometown - Mitchell, South Dakota. Small enough town that we know him, his parents (former teachers), and most of his relatives. His birthday is the same as my soon to be 22 yr. old daughter - Feb. 19th.