Negril - Beach and Cliffs combo - Advice?

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril - Beach and Cliffs combo - Advice?

We are just starting to plan a trip to Negril, Jamaica for the week before Christmas. It will be my wife, me, and sons 16 and 20. As this will be our first time in Jamaica (we've been elsewhere in the Caribbean over the years), our thought is to split the stay between a place on the cliffs (e.g. Rockhouse) and a place on the beach (e.g. CocoLaPalm). Four nights one place; three at the other.

While a suite to accommodate us all would be nice, we can also put the boys in a more basic separate room.

Our preference is for smaller, casual, and friendly places that are well-run and well-maintained. We have ruled out big AIs completely.

For our place at the beach, we would like to be within walking distance of a good assortment of cheap/moderate eating options. (BBQ stands and funky beach bars are our idea of perfect Caribbean dining.)

Less-expensive is better than more-expensive, but cost (within reason) isn't a primary consideration.

Any thoughts?

- Bill
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I think a split is a great idea, the beach and cliffs are very different.

Rockhouse is a good choice, also consider tensing Pen and Catcha Falling Star, though both will be quieter than Rockhouse (and that might be dull for the boys).

Coco la Palm is nice but not all of it - you do NOT want to be in the old Coco Inn part. Also consider Beach House Villas, Nirvana, Rondel Village and Whistling Bird - all in good locations, all different, all good beach areas. Charela Inn may work for you too.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM

The Caves (cliffs) and Idle-A-While
(beach) would be best bet #1, subsituting Rockhouse or Tensing Pen for The Caves if it too pricey.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks!

Looks like we'll start out with Rockhouse (though Catcha Falling Star was tempting). Caves is too pricy. Rockhouse will be a bit pricy too, since we'll do two units (waterfront villa for the parents, cheaper place for the boys, natch!), so we'll only stay there 3 nights.

For the 4-day "beach" part of the trip, I'm really torn. I've only gotten responses from Nirvana and Country Country indicating available accommodations so far, but am also very much considering Idle Awhile, Rondel, and CocoLaPalm. (Whistling Bird seems not to have a direct website!)
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Rockhouse will be great and I think your sons will enjoy it as well. I also love Tensing Pen, but it doesn't have a pool yet and Rockhouse has a restaurant/bar with a TV in the lounge area. The pool area is fabulous. You can't go wrong there --- we always eat there at least once on our trips.

Idle Awhile and Cocolapalm are right next door to each other and on a great stretch of the beach, within easy walking distance to many restaurants.

Idle Awhile is my favorite beach hotel -- a very cool place, small but upscale. It is a small boutique hotel run by the wife of the owner of Swept Away. Cocolapalm (I've never stayed there) is larger and has a pool and beachfront units. Always seemed a little crowded to me but we go between Christmas and New Years which is the busiest time of the year. A lot of people like it. But when you stay on the beach, a pool is really not necessary because Negril beach is perfect for swimming.

I have considered Rondel but couldn't get in and the only drawback for me was the lack of shade on the beach but that might not be a problem for you. It is also on a nice part of the beach and close to many eating spots. Nirvana has never appealed to me because of the big fence around the place which makes it seem prison-like, but I have seen their beachfront deluxe rooms and they are nice. I have also been intrigued by Country Country but the beach is fairly narrow and it's a little too far from my favorite haunts, although it is not a chore to walk anywhere on the beach. There are no screens on their windows but mosquitos don't seem to be much of a problem in December. I don't think Whistling Bird is in the same league as the other hotels that you are considering, but again, I have not stayed there. Splitting your time between both locations is a great idea....I always spend a week on the beach and 3 days on the cliff...you will love it.....Lori
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM

The Negril Resort Association site is the main site for Whistling Bird. Accomodations vary there, some have AC etc some don't, so make sure you know what's available. WB has one of the very nicest shady, garden beachfronts and a very nice tropical feel, but may be too rustic for many people.

Nirvana has a fence but it's not tall, only 3 feet, it's Yellowbird that has the prison-like 6 ft fence.

Nirvana, like WB, has great gardens and shade on the beach. The beachfront suits are the most modern and have AC and all that, but the cottages are neat and come with a cook Nirvana also has kayaks for guest use, a nice perk.

Rondel is the place we choose when we travel with family that insist on AC, TV, etc. They have a nice pool and jacuzzi (in fact two of each plus private jacuzzis for each villa, but those aren't very hot). All the villas ansd rooms were redone a couple of years ago.

All of your choices are located midbeach except Country Country.

I'd be glad to stay at any of them
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

RE: Tensing Pen -

Their website seems entirely inadequate for getting an idea of what the accommodations are like. No interior pics; no exterior pics except far-distant shots; no real descriptions... just prices. I would like to consider it, because the vibe sounds good and it gets great reviews. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I've not stayed at Tensing Pen but did stay next door at Catcha Falling Star in March and April of this year and their web site is quite detailed and has many photos...price is similar to TP.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Check out www.negrilonestop.com ---- they have a lot of pictures of TP and other properties under the Cliff resort section. I have stayed there in the past (pre-Ivan) and am going back again after New Years. It's a beautiful spot, very private and laid back. They are putting in a pool next year but have many entrances via ladders into the water. The restaurant and bar are only for guests so it's very quiet. Might be a little too quiet (re: boring) for your sons but it was perfect for us. I like it better than Catch a Falling Star next door because the landscaping is more lush w/ less concrete.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I have been to Negril many times. I love the cliff area, but prefer to stay on the beach. I think there will be more to do for your sons in the beach area. You can always go to the cliffs for dinner, etc....in fact i recommend that you do visit LTU Pub on the cliffs. You can combo it in with a trip to Ricks (for sunset- dinner will be pricey here), then you walk around the corner to LTU (i highly recommend the Chicken Lola). I also highly recommend CocoLaPalm. I have stayed here 7 times in all different room types. Even the ones in the "old" section, since that's where their 1 and 2 bdrm suites are. The rooms on that side are just more basic, but they are clean and comfortable. If you do the room split, i would recommend a jr. suite for you, and a deluxe or superior for the sons. Coco does have a high repeat client ratio, so they may or may not be available. I always tell people to check their website, and read the guestbook. It speaks for itself, plus you can see the room accommodations too. Good luck with the trip! You will love Negril! Let me know if you have any other JA/Negril/Coco questions- i am a travel agent too, and have been to JA 13 times.

Chesney