Are the rooms at the Westin updated?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at staying at the Westin on Grand Cayman. Would like to know if this is an older resort, and if so, have the rooms been updated as well as the faciliities at resort.I know the Ritz is the newest resort. Are there other new or reburbished resorts on the island?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Every hotel on the island has been updated in the last 3 or 4 years because of the hurricane. All of them sustained very heavy damage, and except for the Hyatt, all have been completely rebuilt and reopened since then. I doubt that the Westin has been refurbished since it reopened, however.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug for the information. Do you have any comments regarding type of rooms at Westin. I am booking room with oceanview and asking for an upper floor. It looks as though from the photos on the their website that the facility has maybe 4 floors. We are looking for a quiet section of the hotel.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM

The Westin is not a huge hotel. It's kind of in a horseshoe shape arount the pool. If you want quiet get one of the wings.

I didnt particularly care for this hotel and here are some of the reasons why:

1)The rooms are carpeted, which equals mold and mildew. My Husband had sinus problems.
2) No umbrellas by the pool for sun protection.
3) Very expensive food and drinks
4) Lots of kids. At least when I was there.
5) The rooms are small.
6) Marginal Food

If I went back to Caymans I'd stay in a condo.

Peace, Greenie
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Actually Doug, the only two hotels that did NOT close for rebuilding/removation after Hurricane Ivan (Sep 11,2004) were the Westin and Courtyard.

Both sustained some damage, but remained open.

Various reviews on different sites reported (particularly in the first year after Ivan) issues with mildew smells and damp in some rooms at the Westin, but given by how those types of reports have died down very much in the last year or two, I'd have to assume that such problems are a thing of the past.

The Westin was build in 1995, and rooms upgraded when Westin went with the whole "Heavenly bed" thing a few years ago, but to decide if it is for you, suggest you look at some reviews on that other website

Basically it does have the widest hotel beachfront on 7MB (700 feet), a nice pool with swim up bar, so if you are there to chill on the beach in a large chain hotel (as many people like to do), it may be an excellent choice.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Tom_Cayman is absolutely correct, as always.

If I were to choose, I'd actually pick the Courtyard or the Ritz-Carlton over the Westin in Seven Mile Beach. Those are my two favorites on that end of Grand Cayman. But I really like Tom_Cayman's resort, the Reef, on the East End, though it's kind of isolated. The Turtle Nest Inn, though it's not really a resortn(more like little apartments), is also nice, but it's also on the East End. A lot of people go with condos, which are generally a better value on Grand Cayman than most of the resorts.

Many of the people on this board go to Grand Cayman regularly, so you'll find a lot of posts to help you out.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. We are going to take a chance with the Westin. Hopefully our request for a room in a quiet upper floor will be waiting for us. Thanks again.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I think you'll do fine with the Westin. If there is a problem with the room, just nicely ask for another. I have bad allergies and always inform the hotel when making a reservation and call a few days prior to arrival. I even ask which type of room or building (if there is more than 1) would be better for me.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their advice.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Cambee, did you stay at the westin and if so, what do you think?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM

never mind, just came across your trip report!