hotel in St Thomas

Dec 31st, 2008, 09:31 AM
pcw
Original Poster

hotel in St Thomas

We will be arriving around 10pm in Charlotte Amalie on a Saturday night. The plan is to catch the earliest ferry to Tortola on Sunday morning. Any suggestions for a hotel that would be convenient to the airport and ferry terminal. Just basically need a place for a good night's sleep. Also will any resturants be open that late in the evening for a meal?
Jan 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM

Best Western Emerald Beach is just minutes from the airport & ferry. Cheap rates.
Jan 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM

We are spending 1 night in St Thomas at the end of our trip to St John so that we can catch an early morning flight out.

I found that the rates at BW Emerald Beach to be sky high.

We are staying at Island View Guest House. It is $125 for the night with breakfast. This is for March 2009.

www.islandviewstthomas.com/

Deb
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM

There is a Holiday Inn right in town that in 2006 was surprisingly not too bad and very reasonable. If the ferry is at 7-8AM a taxi will get you to the ferry in 20 minutes. Any later and it might take 30-35 minutes.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM

Deb,
Not sure about what rates you were quoted to be "Sky High" at BW, but we booked for one night at the end of our STJ trip in June for $156 through Expedia. That's cheap in my book.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

IMO, the Holiday Inn which is right downtown is fine for one night's stay. It is not in the best section but there are restaurants in the area. If I recall, the ferry takes off not far away across the street. When you decide on a place, I'd just call them ahead and ask what will be open then. Saturday night should be no problem though.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

Stan,
If they are going to The BVI's, the ferry leaves from Downtown Charlotte Amalie on the waterfront, not Red Hook.

pcw,
FYI, there are two places on the CA waterfront where the ferry's leave. The one futher down the waterfront from the airport is the STJ ferry. The one for The BVI's is a building with a bar called The Petite Pump Room (just trying to give you a landmark). Still, they are only maybe a 1/2 mile tops from each other.

The Holiday Inn would be close. I wish I could put it into exact perspective, but it can't be more than 5 minutes or so from the ferry dock. Just depends on traffic. There is a very good bar/restaurant called Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchtown where you could get a bite to eat. It is about 2 blocks from the ferry dock. Since it is a bar as well, I'm sure they would serve at least some food fairly late. There also might be some places open at Yacht Haven Grande on the waterfront. There is a place called Wikked and another called Fat Turtle. Arriving as late as you are, I can understand that all you need is a place to lay your head for the night. I wish I could help you more with accomodations.

Best Western Emerald Beach does get very good reviews. The area around The Holiday Inn apparently is not the best area to be walking around in the later hours of the night. Where are you staying on Tortola?
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
cdw

The Holiday Inn is across the street from the ferry dock to the BVIs. It is not the nicest but it could be tolerated for a night. My daughters and I stayed there for one night before heading to St. John the next morning.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Scott - I looked for one night in March [which is of course high season] and Emerald Beach was running around $260.

I was able to book Island View for that same night for $125.

Deb
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I have not stayed overnight in St. Thomas in several years but what do those in the know think about Hotel 1829 or Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Just a thought...
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM
pcw
Original Poster

thanks for all the help. We're looking at the Holiday Inn or Hotel 1829. they have not responded to my rate request yet.