Need help choosing GC hotel for work incentive trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning an incentive trip to the Caymans (for 26 people in our company) and haven't been for 15 years. We need help in choosing a resort. It seems that the Ritz may be out of our price range but Hyatt and Westin are in the running. What are the pros and cons to both? Any recommendations for another resort? How has Ivan impacted GC and these resorts? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Of the two, I think the Hyatt is probably nicer, but it's also much more limited than the Westin. Only the Hyatt beach suites are operational, and because of its newly reduced size could probably not accommodate you. So I'd have to give the nod to the Westin (it was the first resort to be back in full operation after Ivan). The Marriott is also a good value but not as nice nor on as nice a beachfront as either of the other resorts. The Ritz-Carlton, of course, is probably the premier resort on the island. You'll see alot of rebuilding on the island (many people who post on this board can give you more details than I), but things are in full operational order, even though still not as beautiful and manicured as they once were.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Hi. We were at the Hyatt in April. Click on my screen name and you will find my review with some pics.
I can't compare it to the Westin since we didn't stay at that hotel. But I do think that Doug's reply about the limitation is logical and probably accurate. There would have been more pool and restaurant choices if the Hyatt building housing the standard rooms was reopened. If you all plan to eat a lot at the hotel, that may be an issue for you. But know that there are lots of good restaurants on the island. The 2 Hyatt pools are small so the screaming kids can be tough at times (if you're going during school breaks).
We were at the Marriott to pick up our rental car and the hotel lobby is really nice (can't comment on the rooms and service obviously). It looked brand new. I believe it was all fixed up after the hurricane. The pool looked small to me. The beachfront is smaller than the Hyatt's and the Westin's (Of the 3, the Westin has the bigger beachfront).
Good luck.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Do you think offering an ocean front room at the Westin would be preferable to a room with a resort view at The Ritz? We're comparing costs right now we can get both for the same price. We haven't been to either resorts so I need help making the decision. Comparing the Westin with the Ritz, what are the pros and cons of each?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM

A lot of posters have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, and I haven't, so perhaps they can give you a better answer, but the Ritz-Carlton is a much larger hotel and a high-rise, so that's a big difference. The Ritz-Carlton is probably more luxurious, but since both are effectively "new", I'm not sure you'd see that much difference, and I almost always opt for the nicer room with the worse view, but that's a personal choice. For many people, the room without the view would be incomplete. The best restaurant in the Cayman Islands---Blue by Eric Ripert---is at the Ritz-Carlton. For me, it's a toss-up; the Westin is a very nice resort, so I think you'd benefit more from some input by people who've stayed at each since Ivan.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I topped for you a trip report from someone who stayed at the Ritz "Just Back from Grand Cayman" by TnTWalter. She posted some pics too. At least you can get an idea of that hotel.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know about the Ritz post. You've all been very helpful. I think we're leaning towards the Ritz...