Search

westin or hyatt

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
westin or hyatt

i'm going to Grand Cayman in August and am trying to decide where to stay. I've heard both negative and positive things regarding the westin and hyatt. any suggestions?
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I am leaving Thursday for my first visit to Cayman Islands. I was looking into staying at the Westin or Hyatt and I too heard positive and negatives. As I looked at more comments and did more research, it seemed renting one of the condos might be the way to go. We are going to be staying at Aqua Bay Club. I have read only positive things about them. I'll let you know how it all turns out next week when we return.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Neither the H or W is worth the price compared with the better condos on GC. I'm a big fan of great hotels and I'll pay a very high price if I'm getting what I'm paying for. Both the H and W disappoint in the value department. The W is on the better stretch of beach and is newer and overall a tad more desirable. The H is much larger with more expansive grounds and amenities, but is not one of the better Hyatt resorts in the world IMO in terms of room quality, luxurious appontments, etc.
The Ritz Carlton will probably open someday and will resolve this issue, as it will fill the niche of a much needed luxury resort on an otherwise great island.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Travleis...what are the better condos in your opinion?
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Crand Cayman is fabulous! We stayed at the Westin in August. It is not a huge hotel but lovely accommodations and a nice pool. It has the nicest stretch of beach out of all of the hotels. Fabulous but very expensive Sunday Champagne brunch! The Hyatt requires you to cross the street to get to the beach - a little bit of a walk! Not for us! I would return to the Westin in a second!
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Stay away from the Westin...really crappy rooms.. For $320/night my room was stinky, small and furnished really cheaply...The Hyatt's rooms on the beach, not the main building, look really nice and are newer..I would go there if I ever return to GC...Anyone who liked the Westin has never been to a good hotel..
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Yes, the beachside suites at the Hyatt ARE gorgeous. But they start at around $1000 per night, too.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. obviously, there is no clear consensus, though many people seem impressed with the condos. we decided to give the hyatt a try. we plan on golfing and like the idea that the course is right there. and according to the travel agent, it's a better resort than the westin - whatever that means!
thanks again.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM

My husband and I just returned from the Hyatt. We loved it. It's true it's not directly on the beach unless you get a suite, but it's a short walk through an overpass to the beach and pool at the beach. There are other beautiful pool areas on the other side also. We used both. Hemingway's is also on the beach. It was one of our favorite dinners. We watched the sunset as we drank our wine and food and service was great! I don't like condo's because then I would feel obligated to cook!
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:39 AM

The Hyatt's beach is very crowded. You can hardly get out of your lounge chair without stepping on your neighbor. We have stayed at the Westin for the past 5 years but last year we stayed at Aqua Bay - it was wonderful - cheaper than the Westin - rooms were larger and nicer. Plan on going back next year. Just take some beach shoes the water was a little rocky. Have fun