Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Hyatt or Westin on Grand Cayman with 2 Teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about going to Grand Cayman in May and need hotel advice. We have been to several islands with our kids (now aged 14 (girl) and 12 (boy), but never to the Caymans. We like adventure, beautiful beaches, and things to do for the kids. We tend to enjoy being close to the action rather than in a remote locaton. A good pub or two nearby is a big plus as well!

I have read a great deal about the Hyatt and the Westin. Which one would you suggest for us?

Thanks,
David
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:16 AM
traveltopper

topping

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM

The Hyatt is a bit closer to mid-priced restaurants and bars, but I am not sure if all of the hotel is open yet. I have stayed at both and preferred the Hyatt. I thought the service at the Westin was poor for the price although it was last spring and not much was open yet due to hurricane damage. My kids are much younger so we now stay in a condo for convenience. We are leaving Saturday.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the possibility of the hotel not being fully open. I guess I just assumed everything was back in order after the hurricanes.

Have fun on your trip!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I think the Westin overall is a nicer hotel and has a better beach than the Hyatt, but the Hyatt is closer to the action (though the Westin is just a long walk or short drive) and would probably have more activites (e.g. watersports). But I think the snorkeling in front of the Westin is better. I am pretty sure most if not all of the Hyatt is now open again.

Whatever you decide, make sure to go to Coconut Joes, for a fun, casual meal and take the kids on a trip to Stingray City.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kristen1206. I have heard of Stingray City but not Coconut Joe's. I'll look it up - thanks!

Can you comment on the pools at the two hotels?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:05 PM

I have not seen the Hyatt pool but my friends stayed there so I can ask them. The pool at the Westin is very nice and just off of the beach. It also has a swim up bar.

Also, definitely rent a car for at least a day and explore the island. There is cool little beach near Rum Point where there are dozens of starfish. And there is a hiking trail if you are interested in that. And the Turtle Farm and Hell are fun to see. I have a link to my Grand Cayman photo album on the board that I posted today if you want to see some pics.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Kristen, these are fantasitc suggestions and I plan to print them out and follow as many as possible. Also, thanks for sharing your pics. The island looks stunning and your group seemed to have a lot of fun!

Thanks again,
Dave
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM

The Hyatt hotel portion has not reopened and it may be awhile before it does. Having just been on the island(stayed in a condo), it doesn't even appear they started much work on that side. The Hyatt's beach suites are open.

We did stay at the Westin a few times many years ago(last time in '03). We preferred it's location over the Hyatt's hotel section because it was directly on the beach. Also, IF both the Hyatt's hotel and beach suites are open their section of beach front is jam packed as it's not that extensive. Watersports are at both places.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I am sooo glad I checked on the Hyatt. You are right, the main hotel is not open. According to the hotel, there is no construction going on or any plans confirmed to repair/reopen the hotel. The only rooms they are renting are the "beach suites", which are across the road. I just cancelled my reservations there and booked at the Westin.

Thanks!
Dave
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM

I just wanted to be sure you understood that the beach suites are ON the beach. Their hotel is what's located on the opposite side of the road(and a walk back).