Grand Hyatt or Westin?

Oct 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Grand Hyatt or Westin?

Hi I'll be going to Taipei just for a weekend trip early November and cant decide whether to stay in Grand Hyatt or Westin. People told me that Grand Hyatt is great with excellent location but the travel agent recommended Westin instead.
I'm not looking at doing much particularly, just relaxing, chilling out, and enjoying hotel facilities. Proximity to entertainment, nightlife and good restaurants would be a plus. Could anyone give me some ideas??
Many Thanks!! = )
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:13 PM

Count me as a vote for the Grand Hyatt.

To be fair, I've not stayed at the Westin in Taipei so I can't compare the two.

However, I did spend several days at the Grand Hyatt a couple years ago. It was a beautiful property with great rooms, excellent service and facilities.

I found the locaton convenient and with the 101 open you are close to shopping and activity.

Enjoy your trip!
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info cjbryant. What about the Formosa Regent? Heard its ranked as THE TOP hotel in Taipei, is that true?
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM

You've got to look at the location of these properties. I am sitting here looking out the window at the Grand Hyatt. Its location is much better than the Westin. You'd mentioned good restaurants and hotel facilities, the GH has 6 restaurants onsite, and Taipei 101 next door. (Which is something you've got to see. Amazing). Althought they have renovated some.... the renovation did not extend to their bathrooms.

Still a better hotel than the Westin, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Doubt very seriously about the Formosa... Who voted it to be the top anyway??? the Formosa staff?
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:58 PM

While it's been a number of years since I stayed there, the Grand Hyatt was just wonderful. (It didn't hurt that they comped me a suite!) Both the facilities and the service were top-notch.
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM

chelsea,

The top hotel is Far Eastern Shangri La, which is also the newer of the hotels. Rooms have great views but tend to be smaller than others. It also has an adjacent mall. Formosa Regent is dated but is in the most central location of Taipei where you find more of the traditional Taiwanese food and clubs. Regent is also closer to more night markets. However my ultimate vote will probably be Hyatt because it's closer to Taipei 101 and Warner studio and endless things to do there including some of the best shopping.
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Umm looks like the Grand Hyatt has the most votes!! Thanks so much for all your input guys!! Unless anyone else has sth really bad to say about the GH here, Im probably going to go for that!! = )
Cheers all!!
Chelsea
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:39 AM

If so many people here are recommending the Grand Hyatt but your Travel Agent is recommending the Westin, I'd ask her why. Maybe it's the awesome and helpful staff that could outweigh the better location that the Hyatt offers. Could also be that the Westin has better rooms. When I recommend a hotel to a client, I take into consideration more than asthetics.
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM

If so many people here are recommending the Grand Hyatt but your Travel Agent is recommending the Westin, I'd ask her why. Maybe it's the awesome and helpful staff that could outweigh the better location that the Hyatt offers. Could also be that the Westin has better rooms. When I recommend a hotel to a client, I take into consideration more than look and location.