Search

Victoria Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria Hotels

I know I should have the answers here but I usually stay in bed and breakfasts. My friend wishes a hotel this time so looking for reasonably priced harbour view hotels. Was deliberating between Coast Harbourside or Executive House. Any opinions out there please!?
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Either should be fine. But have you considered the Regent? Someone here recently commented on their good experience there. Personally, I think I would like the view of the harbour from the Regent better than from the Coast, and it's right downtown on Wharf Street. The Executive House is not on the water but in that area I would consider Chateau Victoria too.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM

ginocat,

I don't know about either of those, however, there's a fairly new one harbourside called the Victoria Regent. It used to be condos but is being converted to a hotel. It's right downtown--on the water--and because it's newer, we were able to get a really good rate on a suite.

Believe it or not our room was about 900 square feet not including a wrap around deck that offered 180 degree views of both the harbour and Parliament Buildings. I honestly couldn't believe how big and grand it was! Plus they serve a very nice expanded continental breakfast in a little waterside lounge each morning.

The hotel is within walking distance to everything in downtown Victoria and we ended up paying less for our suite than we would have for any other size room we found by the water.

Here is the web site:
http://www.victoriaregent.com/

AL
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:56 AM

We've stayed at the Executive House and found it very pleasant. However, there's a new Marriott right near it that's apparently excellent and has a great rooftop restaurant.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Just looked at the Victoria Regent and it looks lovely! I'll phone this morning to see what deals they have. I know there are fabulous hotels in Victoria but I'm looking for a moderate rate. I like the fact that parking is free at the Regent!
Thanks for that!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Just tried the Victoria Regent. Only room available is deluxe king, no suites. I don't want the deluxe king because there is only one chair in the room. This is a major pet peeve of mine in hotels. Don't think it right that only one person can be comfortable in the room. There are many rooms in the Pan Pacific like this also.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Yeesh, couldn't they bring in an extra chair?

Whatever you decide, determine the view. The Marriott has a lot of construction going on around it so the direction the room faces would matter. Facing toward the harbour would probably be okay. I find the Marriott a little bleak looking; Chateau Victoria friendlier. But I've never stayed in either and can't make a proper comparison. The Coast has a rather unattractive time-share sort of building, unfondly deemed The Penitentiary by Victorians, on one side. I hate to mention this monstrosity but the Grand Pacific has a great location, but might be on the expensive side.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM

I live in Victoria. Stay at the Coast Hotel. It is on the water. It is modern and very comfortable. It has everything. You will not be disappointed. I eat there regularly at the Blue Crab.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks "irish". I'm more interested in comfort and not so interested in the view. Having said that I was able to get their last premier king room on the harbour for a very good price. I have also heard that the restaurant is good so that's a bonus!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi all. Just got back from my stay at The Coast Harbourside. I would definitely stay again. It's a great location right on the harbour beside Laurel Point. Room was standard but nice enough. Comfy chairs, etc. Great king bed with 6 pillows plus extras in the closet. Rates are very reasonable. Lovely lounge and dining room. Swimming pool that is both indoors and outdoors. Fitness room, hot tub, etc.
Some perks here - free parking and free shuttle service to downtown shops and restaurants. Was great to get a free ride to and from dinner! It is close enough to walk downtown - 20 minutes maybe - and it's a very lovely walk along the harbour.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Free parking is good!