Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria - reasonably priced accomodatons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family group is headed to Victoria in July. We'll have 14 - 17 people and three vehicles. We'd appreciate any advice on economical accomodations - do you think suites w/ kitchenettes will be our best option? Since we'll have cars, is it worthwhile to stay in the surrounding area, rather than in Victoria itself?

Thank you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM

I can suggest two places.

The Wintercott Country House, Victoria. (250) 652-2117 1950 Nicholas Road (Saanichton area) is a very nice place. It is well out from town near Butchart Gardens. (Which is a must see in my opinion even if I usually get bored stiff with gardens.) Peter Caleb and his wife are the owners.

If they cannot handle 14 or more, I think Mrs. Caleb can help you by locating a secibd B and B in the area.

Downtown, Ryan's B and B can hold about 16 people. Per room, it is a little more expensive than Wintercott, but it is located near the Provincial Museum, which is another stellar attraction in Victoria.

Sheila Ryan the owner has a beautiful singing voice I might add, and she goes on tour from time to time. Whether or not you could arrange for a recital, I don't know. Perhaps she would sing the hauting and beautiful Samrad Linn for you, in Irish. She interchanges seamlessly between Irish and English.

I wish you luck in finding suitable accommodations.

I think you will enjoy Victoria and environs.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:21 AM

If you truly want a "reasonable" place to stay, I would seriously consider getting a couple rooms at one of the local "Travellers Inn's". They are generally the best bargain in Victoria and many have had recent renovations so they are clean and well kept.
Nothing fancy...a room with a queen or 2 double beds, television, bathroom, in-room coffee-maker...the usual, but it will free up your dollars for other adventures, meals and shopping.

Here is their website:

http://www.travellersinn.com/
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM

We stayed in Victoria at a B&B named Marketa. Very good location, nice room, good breakfast. I do not remember their internet site (you can look for it, trying to find Marketa + Victoria.
The iste showns pictures and detailed description of each room.
However, I have the email address: [email protected]

We paid 100 Canadian $ / night.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM

I don't know if they're reasonable but here are a few more to consider:

http://www.royalscot.com/
http://www.qvhotel.com/
http://www.victoriaqualityinn.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM

When I first moved to Victoria some eight to ten years ago I spent my first week at a Traveller's Inn on Douglas St (I think there are about a dozen of them throughout the city). It was a clean, oversize room, downtown, and very reasonable. As reasonable and as modern as you'll find anywhere. And they even served free doughnuts & coffee in the morning. I was impressed.