Vancouver Hotel--help me choose!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my initial choices for a 3-night Vancouver stay in August, so please help me choose (no car, in from Seattle by train, early 30's, 2 women alone):
EXECUTIVE HOTEL DOWNTOWN ($133 USD)
GEORGIAN COURT HOTEL ($147)
We want a clean, nice hotel downtown with great views and under $150 a night. anyone have experience with these two?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I live in downtown Vancouver and (for reasons to complicated to explain here) last year I had to stay for three nights at the Georgian Court Hotel. I was satisfied with it and would certainly recommend staying there. I am a light sleeper and found that although the hotel is central, it was quiet at nighttime and there was no street noise. The rooms were comfortable (though rather featureless) and the staff helpful.

By Executive Hotel, you probably mean the one at 1379 Howe Street. I have never been inside that hotel and don't know anyone who has stayed there. All I can comment on is the location. 1379 Howe is a little out of the central downtown district (though still within easy walking distance). That part of downtown is a little sleazy, though not dangerous.

All things considered, I'd choose the Georgian Court.

Hope this helps. If you can't get into the Georgian Court, another downtown hotel that you might consider is the Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia. My parents stay there whenever they come into Vancouver so I'm quite familiar with it. The rooms are pleasant, the bar and restaurants good, and the location excellent. Traffic noise could be a bit of a problem if you are a light sleeper.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I've just noticed that your post asks for a hotel with great views. The views from the three hotels discussed here (Executive, Georgian Court and Hotel Georgia) are not particularly remarkable. If you want a spectacular view, try the Pan Pacific Hotel (though you will have to pay a lot of money for that view). Another hotel with a view is the Westin Bayshore.

Let me know what you decide. I'm curious now!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel with great views try the Blue Horizon on Robson. (www.bluehorizonhotel.com). It's much more central than either of the hotels you mentioned and from about the 10th floor up, (it's over 30 floors), the views are great. So especially being without a car it's important to be in the heart of things and in a busy area which Robson Street is 24/7.

By the way - although the hotels have quoted you in US$ they charge in CAN$ so the actual price could fluctuate with the exchange rate. I would guess the actual Canadian rates are about $185 for the Executive and abut $200 for the Georgian Court so use that as a guide when being quoted in CAN$. And don't forget - it's highly reccomended that you use Canadian money in Canada so use the ATM at the Train Station as soon as you get off the train.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice--I'd temporarily reserved at the Executive on Howe, but can chcange that if I can get something better on Hotwire, esp. the Blue Horizon or Crowne Plaza. I really appreciate the tip about getting Canadian money from the ATM at the train station! I hadn't even thought about that yet because everything on the special hotel deals sites has been quoted in USD.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I can't think of much reason to stay at the Executive Court; if you can change your reservation to any of the other hotels mentioned on this thread, do so. I'd say it's worth paying a little extra money to stay in any of these other hotels. (There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the Executive Court; it's just that the others are much better in terms of location and view.)