Moderate Vancouver Hotels?

Aug 17th, 2004, 08:49 AM
mtjt

Moderate Vancouver Hotels?

Hello, looking for a decent hotel in Vancouver. Don't need full luxury 5 star, say 3 1/2 to 4 star, with a good location. We'll be there in early October. Daytime hours we'll be daytripping mostly outside of town, evenings we would like to be convenient (walking distance or short drive/cab) to downtown area shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. A view would be a bonus! Kitchenettes are always a welcome feature, but not required.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Michelle

Aug 17th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Michelle,

In May we stayed at the Blue Horizon and have booked there again for September. The BH is located downtown on Robson Street and is right in the center of dining and shopping. The hotel offers very large rooms with balconies, and most anything above the fifteenth floor will afford some sort of view. I just got a rate of $169 CAN (about $127 U.S.) with them and their rates may even be a bit cheaper in October.

Go to: http://www.bluehorizonhotel.com to take a look at the place and their excellent location. If you decide to book there, specify whether you want a city or water view. Also, let me know if you want some restaurant recommendations in the general area.

Good luck,

Al
Aug 17th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I would second the Blue Horizon. It's aboput as good a quality you can get at less than $200 that centrally located.

You could find lower rates in the WestEnd like in the Coast Plaza or SANDS Motor Hotel or even by False Creek like the Best Western or Travelodge but I think if it's central location you want the Blue Horizon would be best.
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Ok.. I'm going to suggest something a little different. I used to live in Vancouver and have just booked my parents into the Lonsdale Quay Hotel in NORTH Vancouver. A 3* Hotel with a Fall Internet rate of $89 CDN (although I called over the phone) for a standard room. People assume that downtown is the best, but really Lonsdale Quay especially at this rate is a good deal as well as a great location. It is situated directly above the Seabus which is a ~15 min ride to downtown Gastown where all the tourists go, and where you can still partake in the upbeat restaurants as well as the local druggies and homeless etc.

At Lonsdale, you have the transport (Seabus, as well as the bus station), Lonsdale market which is a much smaller version of Granville Market, but still lively and fun. A movie theatre over the road (walking distance), a wicked Greek Restaurant on 3rd (as well as other restaurants) Sushi is also very cheap in Vancouver. Plus you can get a quick bus ride to Lynn Canyon Falls (free), also Deep Cove for a relaxing coffee overlooking the cove... they even have a small community theatre (loads of movies have been made there), and to boot you're right next door to wilderness ~ Depending on the weather there are small interesting walking trails at Cypress, Seymour Mountain Parks. Downtown is there, you just need to get over the psychological barrier of going over the Burrard Inlet! The easygoing, accessible living in North Vancouver is IMHO often overlooked . By the way, Vancouver is not considered a night city, most people who work during the day live outside, so especially in fall/winter the streets at night can become deserted, except maybe for Yaletown and Gastown.
http://www.lonsdalequay.com/
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Ok and maybe Davie Street... and Denman Street... I miss Capers..
Aug 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM

My vote is for the Sylvia Hotel on English Bay. Handy location for walking around the sea wall and a pleasant walk to downtown.

Sylvia Hotel
1154 Gilford Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6G 2P6
Tel: (604) 681-9321
Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:56 PM

We just got back from Vancouver and stayed at the Hyatt Regency, 4 star, center of downtown. We bid $65US through Priceline and got it on our first bid. Tax of about $14US is extra. The room was 16th floor with city view. The room was listed on Hyatt website for $204US. If you want more information on how to bid on priceline go to biddingfortravel.com.

Janet
Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:30 AM

We've stayed twice at the Rosedale on Robson which is located near the library on the corner between Robson St and Yaletown (which has excellent bars at restaurants) and is about a 10min walk to the Auqabus to Granville island.

It is an all suite hotel so all the rooms have kitchenettes. The higher floors have views.

We booked through a company in the UK and paid £50 a night (including taxes etc) last October and they have a free (if very limited - coffee and pastries) breakfast in the morning.

Jo
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:00 AM

Ive stayed twice at the Rosellen Suites
Its got all the comforts of a big hotel , but all the warmth and coziness of a small hotel
Very Close to Robson Street and this Hotel is located right beside Stanley Park ,
You wont be disappointed
http://www.rosellensuites.com/about-rosellen.html
Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

One other possibility which I have used several times is to buy the Entertainment Book, in this case, for Vancouver, if there are any left on the www.entertainment.com website. For the $10. you'll pay, you'll save hundreds of dollars at hotels, restaurants, and popular tourist sites. We were in Vancouver a couple of summers ago and used the entertainment book to save over $200. for 3 nights accomodations. We called the hotels listed in the book, got the best price, then asked for the entertainment book price, always lower. That way we were able to stay in a higher grade hotel for less money.