Vancouver Hotels?

Search

Vancouver Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver Hotels?

We will be going to Vancouver May 27-June 2 and are looking for a centrally located hotel. We like nice hotels and are willing to pay, but we don't like to throw money away. Three that have been suggested are the Metropolitan, Fairmont and Pan Pacific. We have never been to Vancouver before and would appreciate suggestions. thanks, mike gold
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I can only speak to the Met. We were there last year and found the concierge friendly but the rooms super-small for the price. Next time I'll probably opt for the Wedgewood but it doesn't sound like you're looking for the boutique hotel type.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:38 PM

We just spent four nights at the Westin Bayshore and thought it was a great value at US$125 with very nicely appointed rooms albeit small baths. Loved the location next to Stanley Park.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Amy

I just loved the Wedgewood and its location is great. It's beautiful, charming, and friendly; in fact, it's really my favorite hotel
in 20-some countries!
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:08 PM

I think it depends on what amenities and atmosphere you want in a hotel. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is the grande dame of hotels in Vancouver, and would offer great accommodation. The Metropolitan is well-regarded, and the Pan Pacific sits on the inner harbour with a wonderful view. The cruise ship terminal is right next door. The Wedgewood is a truly wonderful, small, boutique hotel, just around the corner from the Hotel Vanc, and has a terrific bar. The Westin Bayshore is a favourite of mine - again, on the water, right next to Stanley Park, a few minutes' walk or cab ride to the downtown core.

You might want to look at http://www.greatervancouverhotels.co...ctions-map.htm for a map of downtown hotels. Just be aware that the list is not all-encompassing.

Cheers,
Linda
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

this is great help. we are seriously considering the Wedgewood and will probably make a decision for it today. thanks again for the help. mike
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

we decided to go to the Wedgewood and it was just wonderful. one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at anywhere in the world. they had converted two smallish single rooms into a suite and it couldn't have been nicer. we were treated like guests by everyone from the desk staff to the restaurant manager. the location was very nice also. by the way, we had the tasting menu at the restaurant and it was very nice - much more reasonable than other fine restaurant tasting menus we have had in france and the states.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hello - we just returned from Whistler and Vancouver trip. I'd highly recommend the Wedgewood Hotel to anyone staying in Vancouver - service was wonderful and the room was beautifully appointed (Frette linens and upscale toiletry products, beautiful tapestry on bed); the bathrooms were marble (again, Frette towels and robes - the Four Seasons in Whistler had the same linens and towels) and the adjustable Kohler showerpiece is terrific. The chocolates upon arrival is an especially nice touch. The famous cookies at turndown were a nice touch although a bit overrated. Request a view overlooking the Robson gardens if you do book there. The location was fantastic and central to everything. Staff was extremely gracious.

I'd also recommend Brix for dinner. We were treated really well and had a perfect table in the window. Very nice entrees list, selection of tapas and wines by the glass. Top notch service and terrific at serving appetizers / tapas style throughout the varous courses (sometimes wait staff is not so gracious because of the several trips to overall price of meal ratio).