Top Vancouver Hotels..........

Sep 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM
Ike
Original Poster

Top Vancouver Hotels..........

I will take my wife to Vancouver in January for her b/d..........we will visit Whistler and travel back to Vancouver before flying back home.......We would like to choose the top hotel in the city but the choices are very large. I'm considering Fairmont Waterfront, Four Seasons and The Wedgewood........but I can't make up my mind.......any help is greatly appreciated.
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:10 PM

I'm a big fan of smaller luxury hotels. I loved staying at the Wedgewood and only wish it was still within my budget as I'd love to stay there again and again.
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM

I have only stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront and I don't typically look for "the top hotel" in a city when I travel so I can't help you with specifics except to say that I thought it was a nice hotel but there are probabaly better top-end hotels in Vancouver.

I have generally heard that the Pan Pacific next door is a step up from the Fairmont.
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM

I can't comment on the rooms, although I've visited the lobby and conference rooms there quite a bit, but I really like the location of the Westin Bayshore, right at the entrance to Stanley Park. That wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it would be fine if you enjoy walking (plus I think the hotel has a shuttle). I'm pretty sure the Westin Bayshore is considered a step down from the hotels mentioned, but those do not have as nice a setting (IMO). Those original three are all good for shopping, however. The Fairmont Waterfront, of the three originally listed, is likely the best for views.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:43 AM

The Wedgewood is my favourite place in the world! I'm in the same situation as Patrick, I guess - it's no longer within my budget, but I sure wish it was. It's a wonderful hotel.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
mtjt

I stayed at the Pan Pacific some years ago. I remember high quality service. My main memory of the room was the huge glass window (wall) giving a truly spectacular view of the harbour and mountains beyond. Definitely would be considered a luxury hotel.

Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM
BAK

Re>We would like to choose the top hotel in the city but the choices are very large.<

There is no "the" top hotel in the city, so give up.

Maybe in Hicksville there's a single top hotel, but in Vancouver there are lots of really good hotels, including those on your list plus a couple of others already suggested.

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is the classic old Vancouver deluxe hotel, and even has a dog on staff. Four Seasons is the local branch of the worl'd's most recognized chain of luxury hotels. Pan Pacific is an adventure, surrounded by water.

And the best room in one is better than the not best room in another...

And do you want to stay int he hotel, or go out for a walk? Then, neighborhood matters more.

With all that said, pick the Four Seasons.

BAK

Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:44 AM

You may know this already, but just be careful when people talk about the Fairmont you know which one it is, there are two in downtown Vancouver:
- The Fairmont Waterfront (next to the Pan Pacific, by the harbour)
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM

I am going to Vancouver this weekend and staying at the Wedgewood. I researched a few places pretty extensively, including the Four Seasons, Wedgewood Hotel, and Pan Pacific. I decided last minute on the Wedgewood because of the consistency in great reviews (see T & L , Conde Nast Top 100 and Gold Lists, Tripadvisor.com, flyertalk, and yahoo opinions from guests). I have stayed at the Four Seasons in about 5 major metropolitan cities and have never stayed in a boutique hotel (as Wedgewood is classified). Will let you know my opinion when we return.

Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Amy

Just wanted to chime in and repeat that the Wedgewood is marvelous...my favorite hotel ever, anywhere; there's just something very special about the atmosphere there--and do eat at Bacchus, its restaurant, if you stay at the hotel--or even if you don't!

I loved Vancouver altogether, but staying at the Wedgewood made that trip particularly lovely.
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:14 AM

I stayed at the Sheridan Wall Centre this spring and really loved it! We had a room on the 16th floor with wonderful views to English Bay. It's very central to downtown and it's new. Ask for the north wing. One of the things I liked about is is the security elevator. You can't go anywhere in the elevator without your room key. We had a bad experience at the Pan Pacific with some idiot running around at 3:00 a.m. banging on the door. Security is difficult in that hotel because of the layout of the lobby and elevator access.
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Hello - we just returned from Whistler and Vancouver trip. I'd highly recommend the Wedgewood Hotel to anyone staying in Vancouver - service was wonderful and the room was beautifully appointed (Frette linens and upscale toiletry products, beautiful tapestry on bed); the bathrooms were marble (again, Frette towels and robes - the Four Seasons in Whistler had the same linens and towels) and the adjustable Kohler showerpiece is terrific. The chocolates upon arrival is an especially nice touch. The famous cookies at turndown were a nice touch although a bit overrated. Request a view overlooking the Robson gardens if you do book there. The location was fantastic and central to everything. Staff was extremely gracious.

I'd also recommend Brix for dinner. We were treated really well and had a perfect table in the window. Very nice entrees list, selection of tapas and wines by the glass. Top notch service and terrific at serving appetizers / tapas style throughout the varous courses (sometimes wait staff is not so gracious because of the several trips to overall price of meal ratio).