Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

what hotel and area to stay in in Vancouver?

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3 other friends and I are leaving the babies home with our husbands and want to spend a weekend in Vancouver. We'd like to be near shopping, restaurants and some nightlife. Any suggestions on areas and hotels? from some past posts it sounds like near Robson street is good.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:36 AM

Yes, that is the perfect place for what you described.

I don't know your price range...I found a GREAT deal for the Listel on www.estays.com (my trip is in a few weeks) That is one of the best websites I've found. It is definitely worth a look.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:15 PM

i would also suggest the coast canadian on denman street. i find that street a little more "mellow" than robson, if that is possible, and it is a hop, skip and a jump from the ocean. www.coasthotels.com
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM

We stayed at Best Western on Drake (corner of Drake and Granville St) just a couple of weeks ago. They have a (one-way) complimentary shuttle to anywhere downtown vancouver - including Pacific Centre (shopping mall), Robson street (which is a long street), and English Bay Beach, which is about 7 mins away by car (a longer walk back but we did it and survived! Up hill!!). There's a nice short walk to the waterfront to get to Granville Island and although parts of Granville street are kinda seedy (between the hotel area and downtown) there's always transit! The hotel service was good; the rooms are ok (I think that all downtown hotels are too expensive, but that's just my opinion!), and there's a breakfast included.

I believe Yaletown is a short walk away too.

I'm glad we stayed here vs. the best western Granville and the other downtown one (the places around taht aren't so nice).
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:43 AM

To clear up any misconceptions, I wasn't suggesting you stay at the Listel hotel (unless you want to) I was just letting you know you can find great hotel deals at estay.com I've looked at other prices on sites like Orbitz (where the airfare is the cheapest) and Expedia etc. but estays was the best.