Vancourer to Whistlers info

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancourer to Whistlers info

Hi, My husband and I will be traveling to Bc on Mar 2nd to the 6th. We will stay in Vancouver at the Executive hotel Vintage Park for 1 night and then driving a rented suv to Whistler. My concern is the drive and parking. Ive read that the road is narrow and may have road construction reducing it to one lane in places. This could cause problems getting back in time for our flight. Plus I am a big sissy and dont do narrow roads with sheer drop off's to well, throw in snow and ice and I am just a mess. I barely survived the road to Hana in Maui.
Also, is there parking at the hotels. I realize we wont be needing our car once we arrive at Whistler.
I am interested in dog sledding and the zip line as I dont ski.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM

The road to Whistler is beautiful and really not as bad as you are expecting. It's nothing like the road to Hana. IF it does go down to one lane it's only because of construction, and there will be flag men.
I don't remember it being scary at all.

There is a big parking lot at the edge of the village. There are no cars allowed in the actual village, but lots of parking right there.

Now, if your flight it that same day, I'd be concerned because of the weather. If they are calling for a snow storm, I'm not sure I'd risk missing my flight. HOw much time are you allowing yourself?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Hi, The road to Whistler is not bad at all. There is some construction but it doesn't slow you down too much If you drive down on a sat or sun there usually aren't any delays. I live in White Rock and we ski at whistler alot. Most hotels have parking free of charge for guests. There is a great [free] transit bus around the village connecting the upper and lower village and stops are close to most hotels. If you are staying farther outside there may be a charge of $1. I don't know if the zip-line over fitzimmons creek runs at this time I think its mainly a summer thing. You can contact a whistler activity center when you get there to arrange dog sledding, ski dooing ect. There are a few scattered through out the village. Even if you don,t ski Whistler has a vibrant feel. You can take the gondola up to the roundhouse, I would only do this if the weather is clear, other wise you can't see anything. Be sure to pick up the free magazines offered through out the village. The Peak, Whistler this week, and whistler dining, are all great resources. Have fun.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I agree with most of the above except for the comment that parking is often free at hotels at Whistler. I have visited Whistler dozens of times and while daytime parking is free in the main lots, the hotels almost always charge for parking and it is generally $18 or more a night.

The only problem with the road to Whistler is some of the drivers who use it. Many people don't know how to properly use passing lanes and they can create a dangerous situation.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

We are use to paying for parking it's becoming more common especially in Hawaii and the Carribean. $18 is a little steep though. I thought it would be coolto take a heli up there, but I guess the price can be high. Not sure if it could handle my luggage either, Ha Ha! I know that sounds crazy, Im afraid of roads but not a heli? We took a tour in one in Punta Cana. It was terrifying and exhilirating all at the same time! Dave says is was the most quiet he has ever seen me!
Can you get your car up to the hotel with no problem, luggage again? Some day I will learn not to overpack.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM

We always stay at the Horstman house when we go up to whistler. Parking is underground and free. There is a bus stop right out front where you can catch the free bus into and around the village.They have 1,2 and 3 bedrooms with a full kitchen a 1 bedroom is around $89 a night very reasonable. Also it is not right in the village which we prefer because you are not kept up all night by partiers in the village. Afew of the suites on the 1st floor have doors to the outside and you can pull right up and unload.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM

The road definately isn't bad (anymore) and if you're going up on weekends there probably won't be any delays at all. The only suggestion I have for the road is to take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Parking in Whistler can be a pain unless you don't mind walking a bit. Hotels occasionally give discounted parking rates to guests, but even at that they're a bit pricey (although as a non-guest I once paid $30 to park overnight). The daylots (I don't know why they're called that - you can park overnight) are free and HUGE, although on a good ski day on the weekend they do fill up. Depending on which one you get into (there are 7, all lined up in a row) you may face up to a 10 minute walk to get into the village (again, could be a bit more or less depending on where you're staying).

Most of the hotels have luggage drop off access in front of the main doors but you will have to move your car pretty quickly.

Both ZipTrek and dog sledding are running through the winter - more info at: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/