Skiing and renting Ski's in Innsbruck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not a ski forum but I usually get good results if someone answers. I am looking to rent ski's in Innbruck rather than at the slopes. I am staying at the Hotel Innsbruck on 3Inrain. Where is the closest rental so I do not have to waste time on the slopes? I will keep them for 5 days and also any ski information will be helpful. I am going with my family and skiing 5 days and I will have a car in Innsbruck.I was thinking 1 day at the Stubai Glacier, 1 day in Kitzbuehl, 1 day in St. Anton and was wondering how I should spend the 2 other days for skiing? I am open for ideas and do not mind the driving. We are intermediate skiiers. Any information would be helpful.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I can't help with the ski rental question, but I would highly recommend that you allocate at least one of your two remaining ski days to Ischgl, which is about the same distance from Innsbruck, and in the same general direction, as St. Anton. It has wonderfully extensive and diverse slopes for intermediates, outstanding mountain restaurants, unbelievably modern lift facilities, and the added attraction of a great long run that takes you across the border into Switzerland - with a trip back on a double-decker tram that holds nearly 200 people. It's regarded by many as the best relatively unknown ski resort in the Alps.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

That is really interesting, because that is exactly what I had heard about Ischgl. That it is one of the best unknown resorts in Europe for skiing. I think I will add that locale as well. Is the drive any longer to Ischgl than it is to St. Anton? I will be driving back and forth from Innsbruck. My wife is not really a skier and I had to have a spot for her to enjoy as well. How is the parking? Do you have to pay for parking?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

tt
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I've driven up to both Ischgl and St. Anton from the Innsbruck area, and my recollection (which I'm refreshing with a map in front of me) is that it's roughly the same distance and time to either. As you know, I'm sure, you start out on the autobahn going west from Innsbruck. After passing through a number of tunnels, the road becomes a two lane - I was there last year and there's a bit of construction going on, so the divided part may be extended now - and you exit left for Landeck and the road up to Ischgl, continue straight for St. Anton. From the split, the distances are nearly the same and the road quality quite similar.

It's been a few years since I was last in Ischgl, but as I recall there's free open parking just as you exit left off the main drag and enter the downtown area, and paid parking - in an underground lot a bit further on, where the pedestrian zone begins. I think there may be other outdoor lots as well. It's not that big a place, so just about any parking is within a short walk to one or the other of the three gondolas that take you up out of town to the main ski area. There are really only two runs that return to town - the one that you see when you first come into town, which ends up at the Hotel Elizabeth Eisbar, is good and steep and can get seriously bumped up and icy, so is a real test for intermediates, especially with end-of-the-day quads. The other one is narrower but otherwise easier and comes out more-or-less above the middle of town. Many skiers simply ride the gondolas back down.

Ischgl has the most outrageous apres-ski scene I've ever encountered (nothing else comes close), so leave a bit of time at the end of the day to check it out, even if you're not usually into that sort of thing.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM

frankdaddy, why don't you ask your hotel if they have any recommendations?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I have found in the past that practically any specialty ski store will rent skis.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reply's. The reason I am asking about rentals is because I will be driving in from Vienna and wanted to rent in town close to the hotel and I might be coming in late. I am trying to avoid renting on the slopes because I will use them all week. Sometimes when you post a message like this people know of excellent rental shops near by and I can call them and ask about times they will be open and what types of ski's they rent. I have saved many hours if I have this info before hand not too mention some money. Some shops will even deliver them the morning before you ski. I did call the hotel and they were not very informative. Thank you for the skiing and travel info Flyfish. I will definitely make a change to the itinerary for Ischgl. The driving info was a big help as well. How early do the Austrians wake up to ski? I am hoping to be in the car by 7:45 Am and hit the slopes early. Will there be a rush to the slopes at that time even if I ski locally to Innbruck? Any info would be helpful. Thanks,
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Many sportshops in and around the city will rent skis, no problem.
I think St. Anton is too far away for a quick skitour.
Why not consider Axamer Lizum, abt. 15 miles from Innsbruck. Situated at 1600m., place of downhillraces during the Olympics. Very nice pistes.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Sorry, I can't help much on the early-morning traffic question, Frankdaddy. On both my Ischgl and St. Anton (it was Lech, actually, but the road passes right through St. Anton) trips we were arriving Saturday mid-day for a ski week and traffic was not a factor. I wouldn't think that traffic would problematical mid-week, but that's only a guess.

With regard to traffic generally, though I've managed generally to avoid real problems, I learned two years ago that weekends - and more specifically traffic heading out on Saturday - in that area can be horrendous, even on the autobahns. I spent an entire day getting back from Lech to Munich a couple years ago - all but an hour or so in stop and go (mostly stop) traffic, so watch out for that.

My experience in Europe generally and Austria specifically is that there's less rush to hit the slopes early, so you may be OK with the early start you have planned. (In the case of Ischgl, it seems like the whole town is partying until 4AM or so, so things tend to be pretty quiet on the slopes in the morning.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM

A start at 7:45 am seems for me to late for a travel towards Ischgl or St. Anton. The estimated travel time towards Ischgl & St. Anton from Innsbruck is 1:20 hrs. This means you will arrive during rush hour. The lifts open at 8:30 am and I have made the expierence, that there is a rush hour at the base lifts between 9:00 am and 10:30 am (in case of blue sky). This can result in waiting time up to 30 minutes. Therefore I would recommend to be on the road at 7:00 am for a trip towards Ischgl or St. Anton.

You should also know, that villages like Ischgl and St. Anton try to reduce the number of day visitors by limitations of the parking room. You should be prepared for additional transfer bus travel before you see a lift.

You can do your online route planning via

http://route3.tiscover.com/route/names05.asp
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information on the travel time. That is great info. for me. Since I have 5 days of skiing I am planning 1 day in St Anton, 1 day in Ischgl and 1 day in Kitzbuehl. I would like to ski the Stubai Glacier. That's 4 days of skiing. Do you think this is too agressive? What other slope should I be skiing for the last day. I do not mind driving since I will have a car and would really want to ski the St Anton area and could skip Kitzbuehl if there are other places. Thanks for your help in answering these question.