Driving from Munich to Vienna mid February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to fly into Munich mid February with my wife and 2 kids for a skiing vacation in Innsbruck. We want to take a side trip to Vienna. I am thinking about driving from the Munich airport to Vienna. We will most likely stay overnight in Vienna and then drive to Innsbruck and maybe stop at Salzburg on the way. What are the roads like in Austria? I am experienced driving in snow but are the roads dangerous? Also, does it pay to have a car in Innsbruck and drive to the slopes rather than take the ski bus? The ski bus starts out a 8:45 AM, a little later than we are used to for skiing. Please let me know what you think about driving in Austria rather than take the train. It is about the same price so money is not the issue. I am curiuos what your thoughts are.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Snow tyres and chains required. Chains aren't needed if you stay on the autobahn and in the valleys. From the airport the fastest drive to Vienna is via Passau and Linz. If you're an experienced driver in the mountains, know when to mount the chains (and when not) and got a feeling for the max. safe speed, why should there be a problem? Of course it is dangerous driving down a snowy winding mountain road... but when I can do it, you should be able to do the same
8:45 is far to late, you'll stand in line forever.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply about the driving. I am really interested in your response about the ski bus in Innsbruck. Is the bus going to be really crowded? I am going to go to spend about 3 days in the ski areas around Innsbruck and the spend a day in Kitzbuehl and a day in St Anton. Do the ski resorts charge for parking? Will I get to the lifts faster if I drive to them? I like to ski early and stay late. What time do the lifts open? How will that work out? I do not want to spend all my time driving but do not want to waste time on the bus. How long will it take to drive to Stubaier Glacier, Kitzbuehl, and St Anton? I want to make sure I get a great experience skiing and not waste time on the bus. Have you skiied Austria? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Oops, many questions ;-)
>Is the bus going to be really crowded?
It always depends when you're going. I don't think it would be wise to be at the cash desk later than 8am. So don't take the bus. When the big busses arrive everybody will be standing in line, waiting to pay for the ticket. Parking is free, the sooner you're there, the closer to the lift you can park your car.

>Will I get to the lifts faster if I drive to them?
Yes. Drive to the parking next to the lift, buy your ticket and you're ready.

>I do not want to spend all my time driving
If you're already in Innsbruck there are only short drives to most places. With your car you have additional storage. It's always difficult to put on your shoes in the bus. And the smell is just... in the evening onboard. You don't need to be back at the bus at 4pm, but you can stay till it's dark. Many lifts operate until 5pm in late winter.

If you're 2 or even 3 people, put your skis between the front seats, the ends close to the feet of the person in the passengers seat. You can still reach the stick that way.

Driving times vary, but on the Autobahn, if it's not a sunday or holiday, everywhere can be reached within an hour.

>Have you skiied Austria?
Yes, every week-end a few years ago, today only a few times a year. I'm getting to old for this ;-)
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Travel time by train towards Kitzbühl and St. Anton

Innsbruck->St. Anton: 1 hrs 10 Min
Innsbruck->Kitzbühel: 1 hrs 8 Min

I would not stay in Innsbruck, if you want to ski in Stubai Tal, St. Anton or Kitzbühel, as travel time is to time consuming. You can ski on the local slopes in Innsbruck (small ski area with old lifts).
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I do agree a 100% with Tom. Staying in Innsbruck will take almost 2 hours driving time off your day, every day. One hour driving in the evening after Sunset or on the bus, instead of "apres ski" fun.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Have you checked the distance and driving times from Munich airport to Vienna, and then to Innsbruck? Even on the autobahns, you won't have much time to spend in Vienna, if this is a one-night stop.

My advise: Skip Vienna.

My second advise: If you want to ski all the places you mention, I agree that Innsbruck is not the best place to stay. In fact, I would reduce the number of places you plan to ski. Pick one or two, and stay there. The Europeans are not like skiers in the US, i.e. chasing up and down the slopes from early AM until the lifts close. Part of the fun of skiing and apres skiing in Europe is to join in the more leisurely pace. Each of the places you mention have plenty of runs so that you won't get bored.

As to your last question: Yes, I have skied in Germany and Austria for many years, ever since I was 10 years old Now I'm 79 and still ski, although mostly in the Rockies.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM

My deepest respect for your fitness, sir. How is it possible?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful messages. Unfortunately, I did book Innsbruck, and mainly because my wife does not ski much so I had to comprimise. I do realize, the driving I will do, is way too much for the travelling with Vienna and Innsbruck. I chose Innsbruck because my wife is not much of a skiier and will only ski 3 days at the most. I will have my 2 kids with me age 16 and 9 so Apres ski is a little stilted. You are right about the American skiier getting in runs from top to bottom, that is the way I ski. I have seen other ski clubs do the St.Anton and Kitzbuehl on separate days so it looks like it is doable. My question is, can I do the St Anton or Kitzbuehl drive in 1 hour if I left at 7:30 AM during the week. We will be traveling Presidents week so I am not expecting any traffic. How is the drive from Vienna to Innsbruck? Is it beautiful? What city would you suggest we travel to instead of Vienna. How about somewhere in Germany since we are flying into Munich. Doyou recemmend any cities on our way to Innsbruck from Munich? Any suggestions would help.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM

2/25/06 - 2/28/06 is the peak holiday week end of the season. (Fasching) Try to avoid it if possible. The pistes are packed with people. Innsbruck - St. Anton in one hour usually isn't a problem, but many people on their way to work. Vienna to Innsbruck is just north of the main Alpine mountains, nice on the Autobahn, but not like you're actually in the mountains. It's just the fastest way to go west-east. Eastern Tyrol/Großglockner Region is beautiful.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:26 AM

I would not drive by car from Innsbruck towards St. Anton. Parking is a problem in St. Anton for day visitors.

Alternative offers are:
INNSBRUCK GLETSCHER SKIPASS
Valid for Nordpark, Patscherkofel, Axamer Lizum, Kühtai, Rangger Köpfl, Glungezer, Schlick 2000 and Stubai Gletscher (costs 93€ for 3 days skiing + skibus transportation)

or

INNSBRUCK SUPER SKIPASS

Valid for Nordpark, Patscherkofel, Axamer Lizum, Kühtai, Rangger Köpfl, Glungezer, Schlick 2000, Stubai Gletscher, St. Anton or Kitzbühel (you have to choose Kitzbühel or St. Anton) (costs 152,50€ for 4 days skiing + skibus transportation).

Just go into Innsbruck visitor information center and they will advice you.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Forgot to mention.

St. Anton is a high risk avalanche area. You better check the avalanche and weather report before your trip. The best slopes will be closed latest arround lunch (and for the afternoon) in case of warm & sunny weather or most slopes are closed until lunch time in case of heavy snowfall or rain.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. I will probably rent a car for the comfort of not having to wait for the ski bus. I skiied in Cortina this year in February and used the ski bus but we did not have to wait for the bus very long. I really want to ski Kitzbuehl and St Anton so I can ski bigger resorts rather than the smaller ones in and near Innsbruck. Where should I ski in Innsbruck? I expect to get the super ski pass, however, if I have a car I will not need the ski bus service. I will need to check the difference in cost. I would like some guidance on skiing in Innsbruck since I will ski that area for 3 days and what about the tobaggon runs that they advertise for the evening.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:31 AM

I deceide for a the ski area close Innsbruck on a day to day decision.

Deceide for Stubai Tal glacier if you have warm weather above average and less snow in the valley. The slopes on the Glacier are a little flat, but there is a long black slope down to the valley.

Deceide for Axamer Lizum if you have lot's of snow. Axamer Lizum is also known for some intersting variants, but there are only very few winter days, when you can ski them.

You can reach some ski-resorts only with chains during the winter season (i.e. Kühtai). Make sure, that your rental car is equipped with extra chains or try to book car with winter tires in Munich (but this can be difficult, as car rental companies try to reduce costs for extra tires).
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information on where to ski. I will make the decision on where to ski the day before based on the conditions. I see that there are ski areas to ski at. Besides St Anton and Kitzbuehl is it worth driving to other ski areas other than the ones in Innsbruck? There are others near St Anton or maybe Garmish in Germany. Is that worth driving to instead of the ones near Innsbruck?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM

I do not wish to confuse your choice of ski places, but many better places exist not far from Innsbruck than those mentioned.
Logos gives you good advice about February period as this is the most crowded of the season.
Less than 40 minutes east of Innsbruck on the Autobahn is the Zillertal valley and one of the best region for varied skiing in Austria.
The towns of Fugen, Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen, Finkenberg, Lanersbach and the Hintertux Glacier offer good skiing for all levels. Many towns have lifts that join to form a good " Ski Circus" and one ticket can be purchased for all.
Huge parking lots offer free parking. Best skiing early- most lifts open at 8:30- most crowds arrive at 10 or after.
Many europeans stop to eat 12- 2 Pm and this oftens provides many fewer skiers as the ski schools generally stop during this time also.
This area offers an easy drive from Innsbruck on excelent roads, usually snow free on relatively flat valleys.
I would not recommend St. Anton- this is a longer drive and as mentioned at peak times parking is at a premium to outside visitors.
Kitz is subject to poor snow conditions - regardless of what is reported.