Ferry Crossings to Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Vancouver area for the first time in June 2006.

We plan to have a couple of days on Vancouver Island. Is it better to hire a car in Vancouver and take it onto the ferry to Victoria or travel as a foot passenger and hire a car a car when you arrive?

Also can anyone recommend a competitive car hire firm as we plan to pick up a car in Calgary and drop it off in Vancouver?

Any help appreciated.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM

The least expensive way would be to travel as foot passengers on board the ferry and then hire a car when you get to Victoria. If you are on a tight budget, you can take public transit to and from the ferry terminals. That can be problematic if you have lots of luggage, however. The buses don't have space to accommodate luggage. In that case, you might be best off just renting the car in Vancouver.

The only car hire firm I've used here in Vancouver is Budget, so I can't offer much help on that front. Budget was all right, nothing special.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM

If you can afford the drop fee for renting a car in Calgary and dropping it in Vancouver, then I would not be too concerned about the few dollars it will cost you to take a car over.

Besides the weekly rental rate is usually less per day than when renting one or two days at a time.

Some of the rental cars like Enterprise, which last summer had the best rental rates in Calgary, do not normally permit one way rentals.

Here are some example figures.
Renting and returning a Ford Taurus at at the Calgary airport from Hertz will cost you $658 (in June)for 2 weeks.

That same car rented in Calgary and returned in Vancouver will cost you
$1855.

The daily rate for a Hertz Taurus is about $70 if you rent it for 2 days.

All prices in Canadian dollars with no type of discount.

So if $1,200 for a one way rental is acceptable, you can see why I would not worry too much about traveling by foot onto the ferry. Besides, it will cost you to get to the ferry unless you park in the lot, for which there is also a charge.

The Tsawwassen terminal is not exactly in downtown Vancouver. It is several miles to the south.

Horseshoe Bay, the terminal for the ferry to Namaimo is north west of the central city. Someone more familiar with the area will need to suggest how to get to the ferry if not by car.
I have done it no other way.

Perhaps Budget will beat the Hertz prices.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I'm not sure what Vorkuta means by saying there is no storage for luggage on the buses. Any time I've gone by Pacific Coach Lines, the luggage has been stored in locked compartments on the sides of the bus. This leaves you free to enjoy the ferry trip without lugging it around.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM

How long are you planning on Vancouver Island? If you are only going to be there for two days are you sure you will need a car?

Pacific Coach Lines will take you to the heart of Victoria they have loads of luggage space), if you are staying downtown and prebook they will even pick you up from your hotel in Vancouver.

Victoria is compact and you don't need a car and I'm sure there would be enough to do to keep you occupied for a couple of days.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM

There is no need to have a car for Vancouver & Victoria. Parking room in Vancouver is expensive. A car is helpfull, if you want to see something outside the town.

I recommend to book a rental car via a travel agent. My travel agent has agreed rental packages with AVIS, Hertz, National & Alamo in Canada including all insurances, 2nd driver and free of charge one-way fee between Vancouver and Calgary.

I have compared the prices and they are cheaper than what I get as price from the rental companies directly.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Hi April,

I'm talking about the regular BC Transit buses, which do not have luggage storage.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Vorkuta
Ah, I see.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

I have hired a car with Hertz with no one way hire fee, pick up Calgary, drop off Vancouver so I will take this car across on the ferry.

Is it advisable to book the ferry in advance or just turn up at Tsawwassen?

Is it difficult to park in Victoria?

How long will it take to drive round Vancouver Island? Any must sees?

Again grateful for all your help and advice.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:48 AM

To actually drive around Vancouver Island would take a couple of days. This is not some small Island in the Caribbean. To drive from Victoria to the northen most part on the Island would take an entire day and that is without stopping along the way. There are lots of places to park in downtown Victoria. I would suggest somewhere around the Inner Harbour (Fairmount Empress parking lot) and then you can wander around the downtown area easily. Must sees around Victoria would be Butchart Gardens. If you know exactly what time you want to catch a ferry it might be worth the $15 to make a reservation, however in June the ferry's shouldn't be too busy so there probably won't be too much of a wait.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM

You can't really drive around Vancouver Island in the sense that there's a circular route. For the time you have, forget about driving to the northern tip (Port Hardy) and back.

If you want to explore the island outside of Victoria and environs, consider an overnight trip to Tofino and Long Beach. It's about a 5 hour drive. You could then return to Vancouver by ferry from Nanaimo (or do the trip in reverse).
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Hi, The reservation fee for the ferry is 17 dollars right now. I always get a reservation because then i just have to be there 1/2 hour ahead. There is no rhyme or reason to ferry traffic. Take today My son was due back at UVIC but... it's very windy outside and 4 ferry sailing were cancelled. At least if you have a res. you get on first. In June it's better because the ferries run every hour. In the winter they run every 2 hours.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:15 AM

I don't know where you are travelling from but we have just booked a weeks car hire ( a large people carrier type)through Canadian affair for £281 ( about $560cdn) including insurances, with free one way drop-off Calgary to Vancouver- I don't know if it is possible to book them if you are not in the uk. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We have also booked a cruise on Serenade of the Seas for the cheapest price I could find. Best of luck!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM

First, on those low prices I see quoted, I think you need to find out if all taxes are included.

Secondly, Mickrory states that he pays no drop fee. I don't understand that comment at all.

I just priced a Ford Taurus from Hertz out of Calgary. If I drop it in Vancouver, it costs me $866 C.
If I return it in Calgary it costs me $298.
that to me adds up to a $568 C drop fee.

A two week rental is double the one week. Can you really rent a car in Calgary and return it in Vancouver for the same charge that you would pay for returning where you got it?
In other words, are you saying that you can rent a Taurus in Calgary, return it in Vancouver, and pay $298 C?

I find that hard to believe. You must know something I sure don't know.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM

We have booked 19 days car hire for a people carrier, all taxes included, picking up from Calgary and dropping off in Vancouver for£620. There is no drop off fee.It is from a reputable company we have used before who use Dollar car hire.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM

I highly recommend taking the Pacific Coach bus/ferry combination. You are guaranteed to be on the ferry sailing you want because the bus always gets on first, and you are dropped right in downtown Victoria, or at downtown Vanocuver hotels. Cheap and no stress about missing your sailing.