Three days itinerary help

Jul 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Three days itinerary help

We'll be driving from Quebec to Toronto at the end of this month and we can't decide on the route, there are so many recommendations for things to see that it's hard to decide.
Your suggestions, please, on what is the best route to take and what are the must see places to visit. Thank you
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM

I assume you have three days. That's not very much, so I'd break it up this way.

Day 1 Québec to Montréal. Probably the best would be to take the autoroute (either 40 or 20 is aobut 3 hours) so that you would have half of that day to spend in Montréal. Alternatively, you could meander along Route 138, the Chemin du Roy, getting into Montréal by the end of the day.

Day 2 Montréal

Day 3 Montréal to Toronto. If you go via Route 20 and Hwy 401, it will take you about 5 hours. However, that route isn't terribly interesting. Leave the 401 just west of Brockville and follow the Thousand Islands Parkway to Gananoque. Stop in Kingston for lunch and some sightseeing (try to see Old Fort Henry). If you have time, continue from Kingston along Hwy 33 through Picton and Prince Edward County, rejoining 401 at Trenton. You likely won't have any further time, but the road along the lake (Hwy 2) goes through many pretty historic towns such as Brighton, Cobourg and Port Hope.

Two of the main attractions along the route are Upper Canada Village near Morrisburg and the Thousand Islands. However you would need at the very minimum half a day for each.
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we have three days.
I've heard about the Thousand Islands but not about Upper Canada Village, is it very special?
I've read that Montreal is a letdown after Quebec City. What is your opinion?
Thanks again
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Upper Canada Village is a collection of houses and other buildings which were moved from their original locations when the area was flooded by the construction of the St Lawrence Seaway 50 years ago this month. It is a delightful place which recalls Upper Canada of 130 years ago and gets 3 stars in the Michelin guide.

Here's the website:

http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/home.htm

I wouldn't say that Montréal is in any way a letdown after Québec City. It's a very different place--a modern metropolis with an old quarter (Vieux Montréal) that is almost as old as Québec. There are so many more attractions, however, that a day and a half would only scratch the surface. If you haven't seen it, here's the official website:

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/

Jul 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Upper Canada Village looks like a wonderful place but is it attractive for adults because on the web it looks more for children.
I looked up Chemin du Roy, it looks very interesting drive, what is the most beautiful part to drive? I wouldn't drive all the way Montreal but I'd like to drive at least a part of the way, is it possible and what part?
Thanks again
Jul 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Hi kvli,

If you drive the 138, do the bit from Quebec City to Point-du-Lac (a few kilometres beyond Trois-Rivieres). From there the 138 goes inland for a stretch and is less interesting, so hop on the 40 for the remaining drive into Montreal.

You can always have a late breakfast or early lunch in Trois-Rivieres. When shall I tell my mother-in-law to expect you?

Alternately the 132 can be nice coming out of Quebec City, but the options for getting onto the 20 are limited or more circuitous.

JQ
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Upper Canada Village is at least, if not more, attractive to adults as to children. There's much history to be learned there in a very attractive setting.
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

I think my route will be dependent on the weather. If it will be good weather then I'll go to Upper Canada Village and Thousand Islands and if it's not so good I'll go to Montreal.
What is your opinion?
Is it doable? Is it possible to find accommodations on the route or I need to reserve in advance?
Where is the best place to take a Thousand Islands boat ride?
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM

You should be able to find accommodations en route without reserving ahead.

For the Thousand Islands, take a cruise from Gananoque. If you plan to stay there, however, you should probably reserve ahead.
Jul 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM

Kvli - you're missing an oppotunity by blowing off Montreal as uninteresting, lacking historical perspective or any other reason that you have stated for just bypassing it.

You haven't stated your interests when traveling, but since you seem to appreciate the historical aspects of Quebec City, I think you are ignoring the beauty and value of Montreal as an ancient, at least in this hemisphere, settled city. You might want to do a bit more research before you pass up the opportunity to visit one of the great historical metropolises on this side of the great pond.