Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scenic drive from Montreal to Quebec City?

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Please recommend a scenic route to take to go from Montreal to Quebec City. We'll stay 1 night in Quebec City. Leaving next week--Sat.

What stops to make along the way? Anything particularly scenic or quintessentially Quebec? Quaint villages? Where to stop for lunch? Local foods and specialties to look for?

We have to drive back to Montreal from Quebec City too, so we could split the sightseeing on the way there and back.

Heard about the waterfall outside of Quebec City. Worth making an excursion there?

Also, recommendations on what to do in and around Montreal & Quebec City would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM

The waterfall you are probably referring to is the Chutes Montmorency. I would recommend going.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-fr/f...s/3197018.html

As for a scenic route, there is none, unless you are ready to turn a 3 hour drive into an 8 hour drive! You have basically two highways, called "20" or "40". They are both as unscenic as could be....

About what to do in Montreal and Quebec, a lot depend on your likings, age, physical shape, restrictions....
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response.

Hmmm... I'm disappointed to hear the drive from Montreal to Quebec City is not scenic at all, and there's not much to see in between. Maybe it's not worth going to Quebec City at all or for 2 days (1 night)?

We only have 4 days total--3 nights in Montreal, 1 in Quebec City. Or should we just stay in Montreal?

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Hi JC98,

The 138 (chemin du Roy) is nice - check the interactive map http://www.lecheminduroy.com/en/cartes.php, it shows some things to do and historical places to see along the way. If you are pressed for time, take the quick 4-lane highway #40 from Montreal to Quebec, on the north shore, and get off in Batiscan or Deschambault, and drive the rest of the way to Quebec City on route 138.

Since you like quaint villages, here's another link for you:
http://www.beauxvillages.qc.ca/
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, vendest. Your suggestion sounds very interesting. Any particular villages you would recommend stopping by?

Thanks!

Another option is to drive all the way to Quebec City on the fast road. And the next day, go further east from Quebec City. Heard the scenery there is pretty -- can see beluga whales and such. Doable in half a day?

thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I would recommend Deschambault. Quite pretty and nice vista of river.

Drive from Quebec City to Baie-St-Paul (route 138) and then La Malbaie (via scenic route 362) and back is doable in 1/2 day. To see whales, you have to go further down river to Tadoussac. Then it would be more like a one-day affair.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions.

ventdest, I like your suggestion of taking the 138 when we get closer to Quebec. Does anyone know how long is the drive on 138 from Deschambault to Quebec City? Google map only shows the route on 40, and that takes 45 minutes.

Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Never mind. Playing w/ google, I found out that you can drag a recommended route to a different one. Cool!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to the beautiful villages.

Found several villages on Il D'Orleans, east of Quebec City. Anyone know it's worth going there for a few hours on Sun before we drive back to Montreal?

Going next Sun.

Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Ile d'Orleans is to my understanding interesting. However, with only 4 days total for Quebec City and Montreal, I would tend to suggest focusing your energy more on exploring Quebec City proper.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM

I would recommend stopping at Deschambault on your way back. There is a small café (Café Zéphirin I think)by the road that serves the BEST desserts ever. And the owners are the nicest people. I always stop on the way.

It does take longer to drive on the Chemin du Roy, but it's worth it in my opinion. Plus, when you've had enough, you can always make your way back to the highway.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM

OMG... I LOVED driving up the St. Lawrence toward Quebec City... and I really loved that I accidentally opted to leave the big #40 Fwy in favor of the #138 more near to the water, and through the small towns.

Just instinct alone, and now the map I'm reviewing has the green dotted line for "scenic route" right there...

My very favorite element of the small towns along this route was the CHURCHES which were so prominent and immaculately constructed.

I'm not even religious, but it was really interesting to see these communities which had sprouted near the river's edge, each with a spectacular church as the centerpiece.

So I say take that #138 from Trois Rivieres into Quebec City and know that, if you find you're dissatisfied with the path, that you can easily go north to the big highway at any time (I never did so once).

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I'm all excited about the trip! I make sure I'll drop by Deschambault. Even the name sounds interesting. Don't know what it means though.

Google map somehow by default suggests route 20 to go from Montreal to Quebec, but the time difference between that and 40 is only a few minutes. I wonder if that's worth taking if we need to take the faster road or 40 would be good enough?

On the way there, we would definitely check out parts of 138. Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM

The 20 or the 40, same difference. One is on the South shore of the St-Laurent river (20) and the other is on the North shore (40). As for which on is the best, it depends where you leave from. It you plan on going to Deschambault or other great villages on the way by the Chemin du Roy (near the 40), here is a great link : http://www.lecheminduroy.com/en/index.php