how many days in Quebec

Oct 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

how many days in Quebec

I was thinking of traveling to Montreal for four days and a day trip to Quebec. Is this enough time or do think I should spend 3 days in Montreal and 2 in Qubec. My intrest are to stoll and take in the scenery, shop and visit galleries and Museums. I would appreciate all your suggestions
Oct 14th, 2003, 05:34 PM

I would do what you are thinking of .. Quebec for 2 and Montreal for 3. Quebec is charming but small and you can really see everything in a day or so. Montreal has so much to see, 4 days will just give you a taste
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM

You haven't mentioned when you're going. The nicer the weather, the more time in Quebec City.

For me, the four days in Montreal with a day trip to Quebec City would be just fine. In a day, you can easily explore the upper and lower towns of Quebec City, strolling about and covering all the shopping, galleries, museums.

Nearly everyone prefers one over the other, so if you can be flexible, you can make up your mind once you arrive.

We've visited Montreal 3-4 times/year and still haven't tired of the strolling, shopping, galleries, restaurants! For us, one day in Quebec City was enough. But, many prefer Quebec City to Montreal for all of same.

You might want to peruse one of the many "dual city" guides (Fodor's, Access, etc.) in an effort to determine what in each you, personally, would find most appealing for spending your time.
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM

We did exactly that in the summer and it was perfect. I would have loved to have spent more time in Montreal, because I think there's more to see and do there, but I really wanted to see Quebec City, which is more like a fairy tale city.
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:59 PM

djkbooks, we are exactly of the same mind about Montreal We never get tired of it and there is always something more to see.
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:13 AM
gdm

I am surprised to hear that travellers feel that "one day or so" in Quebec city is enough to see everything. The idea that you can see/experience all the galleries, museums, sites, restaurants, shopping, culture, both upper and lower town, and all that is happening outside of the walled city in that time is difficult to believe. The most superficial two day tour would allow you to experience perhaps a tenth of these things.
I live here, and lived in Montreal for many years as well - Montreal is my favourite medium sized city in the world. But if you want to stroll around a beautiful city, admire architecture and quaint streets, visit parks, galleries, and shops, and experience another culture and language, Quebec City is the place to go. That's why Condé Nast readers voted it the top Canadian tourist destination in NA - number four over-all (Mtl made the list too - number 10) I'll accept that many would sacrifice time in Quebec city to spend more in Montreal, but not that you can "do" Quebec in a day or so.
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:19 PM

gdm, I agree with what you say. However, when you are stuck with 5 days and someone is asking you how to divide that between the two, I think in this instance you have to consider the actual size of the place in terms of priorities and experiences. It kind of reminds me of the line in the movie "French Postcards" where one of the characters makes the comment that there were something like 348 (or so) "important" places and she intended to see all of them during her year in Paris. Needless to say, she saw a lot of "important" sites, but experienced virtually nothing. The point is, if you have just a few days, you need to figure out what's important to you. What you want to get out of the experience. I can't imagine anyone getting the gist of any town or city spending a day or even a week anywhere. But I guess it's better than nothing, and you take what you can.
Since you live in Quebec City, you don't visit all that it has to offer in a short period of time unless you have friends visiting your city. I mean, other than Disneyland, I don't go to typical tourist places in L.A., where I live, unless I have someone visiting me. When I lived in London, same thing. I would only go to the Tower of London when I had friends visiting who wanted to go. I think all towns have so much to offer and you're right, it certainly takes more than a day. Still, a taste is better than no taste at all.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM

Kim108-I spent 3 nights in Quebec City Labor Day weekend with my husband and I loved it! We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac, which had a great location, but felt the room was very overpriced. Probably would stay in Lower Town next visit. I've never been to Montreal, but I'm sure there is much more to do there and the restaurants are probably much better. But Quebec City has great atmosphere and the Art Museum and the Museum of Civilization are definitely must sees (very unique and interesting). They are small so you could do them both in 1 day. If you're very energetic and start very early in the morning, you can see quite a bit of Quebec. But I think 2 days is better. Have a nice trip...