How to split 5 days between Montreal and Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering an August trip- we only have five days off. We'd fly into Montreal and take the train to Quebec City. How would you suggest splitting the trip up; how many days each city? (I have been to Montreal before - maybe 25 years ago - my husband has never been there). Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

That is tough. Montreal is a larger city. Quebec is older and sooo romantic! It probably depends on what you want to get out of the vacation.If you and your husband are looking to walk along old and narrow cobblestone streets lined with artisans' shops and fabulous restaurants offering Quebec's unique regional cuisine, allow enough time in Quebec City. One of the 5 days will be pretty well used up by travelling if you count getting to/from the train stations and hotels. There are excellent B&Bs in Quebec City and in Montreal. Worth exploring if you want to grasp the true flavour of French Canada.

Montreal is a great city for the Arts. Lots of theatre and performances, a Centre for Architecture, unique in Canada. The Botanical Gardens are a must if you like gardens. They have beautiful Japanese and Chinese gardens.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM

I think 3 night in Montreal, and 2 nights in Quebec is a good split. The drive to Quebec City is 2.5 hours. You may consider driving instead if you are already renting a car in Montreal. I haven't been to Quebec City for a while too. I am planning to go for a night or two this summer.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Hi..
I agree with chocoholic ( and not just because I am one too
Montreal is so full of things to see and do! QC is small and charming but we found 3 days were too many..I have been going to Montreal for a few years now and we still find plenty of new things to do.
You are gonna love it
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:02 AM

I can't believe it but I just went to the site to ask the very same question that this poster has posed. I look forward to any other comments. We have never been to either Montreal or Quebec City. I figure this would be like a trip to Europe with a bit less hassle and money.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I would also recommend 3 nights in Montreal, 2 in QC. Sadamsrec, Quebec City is about as close to France as you can get on this side of the Atlantic. Except for the American cars, you could easliy be in Europe! Montreal, on the other hand is more like New York, but with a strong French influence.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM

You can easily spend a day in Old Montreal: visit the Notre Dame, walk around the old port (in the summer there are events), St-Jacques. A day downtown, shopping at the Eaton Centre, Les Ailes de Modes. If you are driving, drive up to Mont-Royal look out point at night to see the city lights. and many other things...
www.montreal.com
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:02 PM

here is the current website.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

the www.montreal.com is outdated.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I think we may want to wait until we have more than five days to spend. We are coming from the Western US so it's a whole day of travel to get there and back. So I think we will have to put this trip off.