Montreal or Quebec City for Sept Get-Away

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at places to go for four or five days this fall. We are considering Quebec City or Montreal. We like good food, wandering atmospheric historic areas, and visiting fun pubs. Which city better fits the bill?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM

That is one of those very tough questions that is so hard to answer. Both cities are wonderful. How old are you?
That is the only question that could help me to guide you the right way, although you could have a fabulous time in either place.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM

If you want something more romantic, Quebec city it is.

If you prefer big city atmosphere, Montreal it is.

If you like museum, Montreal it is.

If you want historic places, both have some but Quebec city is much much better.

For good food, both cities will accomodate any budget.

Fun pubs? That's a tricky criteria. Pub as in "BRITISH pub" or pub as in "nightclub pub"?

Now, you can do both cities. 2 days in Québec city, 3 in Montreal and Voilà!

Arrival in Québec city, visit the city for 2 days then take the train to Montreal (3 hours), visit the city for 2 days, leave from Montreal.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Quebec is far more historic in appearance, feel and has more sites to visit. It would also be easier to get into the country for some tremendous fall vistas from Quebec City.

Plus, it has a very European sensibility - a much more unique experience than Montreal.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Montreal would be my recommendation.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM

With 5 days you can do both. Fly to Montreal. Enjoy a couple of days in Montreal. Then take the train or fly to Quebec City.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Both cities perfectly fit the bill, so I can't say one fits the bill better than others. Both, perhaps surprisingly to some, have a not insignificant "pub" culture even; Montreal's St. Patrick's Day parade is well-attended every year and plenty of pubs to go to afterwards.

I don't find Quebec City (been maybe 7 times) really has more of a European sensibility than Montreal (live here), but it does have a greater % of French-speakers (Quebecois de souche, who are as much North Americans as those of the English-speaking variety) and a larger old city than Montreal, but both are still great for wandering. Quebec City (1608)predates Montreal (1642) by ~30-40 years; the architectural styles are fascinatingly different.

Just my two cents. Happy travelling.

DANIEL
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds like they are both great and I believe we have time to visit both. I didn't realize they were only three hours apart and we could add a day or two. Is three nights in each city too much? I don't like two night stays as it only allows one full day and I always feel like I am getting ready to leave as soon as I get there.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I love Quebec City, but for my tastes, it is kind of a "weekend getaway". The tourist and historic area that you will spend most of your time in - the old walled city section called "Vieux Quebec" - is relatively compact and can be seen in 2 days. If you're into scenery, you could spend an extra day driving up the St. Lawrence to where the Saguenay River converges (there is good whale-watching there).
Montreal is a big City which combines modern North American Urban with some French-European atmosphere. It also has an Old section, but not as extensive as Old Quebec. However there would be more big city attractions such as museums, a wider range of restaurants, bars and nighclubs, shopping, etc.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM

I would definately do both - we did just that last Fall. We did 4 nights in each place. Flew from Boston, arriving QC on Friday, 10/10, departed QC by train on Tuesday, 10/14 for Montreal. Departed Montreal on Saturday, 10/18. Friendly people, wonderful food, beautiful foliage (and I from New England).
Our trip was "built" around the Boston Bruins schedule and the fact they were playing the Canadians on Wednesday night at the Bell Center. We went to that game and had an awesome time. We did 4 nights in Montreal because we knew we had one "game night" and wanted to have some leisurely dinners - so I do think 3 nights in each place in fine.
We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in QC and the Hotel Nelligan in Montreal - highly recommend both.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM

I'd say Montreal. We combined the two cities in one 10 day trip. Quebec City is lovely and in September all the more so. That being said, Montreal has sooo very much to see and do as well as a good metro system. I never had a bad meal there as well. I recommend The Auberge Sans Soucy in the Old Port area. You get a full breakfast there including homemade croissants every day. The staff is absolutely lovely. Check and see if the Lantern Festival will be open yet at the Botanical Garden. It is a must see.

If you decide on Quebec City, I highly recommend the Dominion 1912 as a place to stay.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM

So happy to hear about anyone discovering Quebec City. It is absolutely beautiful and since you are into food as you said....you won't be dissapointed. While in Quebec City do try Aux Anciens Canadiens for an authentic delicious Quebec meal. It is served by period dressed wait staff in a very old establishment and the food is marvelous. My second choice would be Portafino on the Rue Couillrd....an Italian Bistro with THE BEST EVER oven baked pizza and homemade pasta. Last but not least try the Dorsey Pub for great food and a great atmosphere.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I think we have decided to spend 3 nts in Montreal and 3 nts in Quebec City. We are leaning towards the Omni Mont Royal hotel in Montreal and Dominion 1912 hotel in Quebec City. We will check out some of the restaurant recs as well.