LOST?????? Canadian passport.

Feb 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

LOST?????? Canadian passport.

I will need to renew my passport soon as it if full. This is the first time I have ever filled a passport, and this will probably be the last time this will happen. I have my passport, but I know this may sound crazy, i'd like to keep my passport because I've done so much travelling on it. If I declare the passport lost, I can keep it, but I am scared that this may cause some problems and that my new passport maybe flagged. And, yes, I know I need a police report. Any advice about what to do would be appreciated, I am very attached to this passport, to some people it is just pages of paper, to me it is 5 years of memories travelling to all the continents and finally being able to fill a passport with entry/exit stamps.

Thanks in advance.
Feb 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Take color copies of each page, make a nice collage, frame it... and get a new passport.
Feb 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I did try to make color copies, but some of the stamps didn't come out too well. Sorry, if I this sounds crazy, I am very attached to this passport.
Feb 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Hi help,

They used to ask you if you wanted your old passport returned or destroyed. Is it no longer an option?

JQ
Feb 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Hi again,

I just looked at the on-line application form, and there is still a box you can check if you wish to have your old passport returned to you.

JQ
Feb 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Yes you get it back if requested, they just punch a hole through the front of the passport so you cannot use it again. I have all of mine.
Feb 10th, 2009, 05:31 PM

"... they just punch a hole through the front of the passport ..."

Yes, either a hole through the whole thing or they clip the corner off it.

helpmeplease, the last thing in the world you want to do is to declare your passport lost if you haven't actually lost it. Just tell them you'd like to keep your old one and they will happily oblige.

AA
Feb 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM

I just renewed my passport and I did get my old one back. Just make sure to tick the box.
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM

I replied to this thread on the Lounge.

Don't declare your passport lost or stolen if it is not. It costs more money to get a replacement, it's much more hassle, and you will be subject to increased scrutiny every time you return to Canada after a trip which can mean longer wait times at the airport.

Also, if the replacement passport is lost or stolen, you will have a very very hard time replacing that one.

They will allow you to keep your old one; they'll just mutilate it a bit to make it invalid.
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Each time I have renewed my passport I request the old one be returned. This has never been a problem.

I then remove the identity page and the pages containing stamps for countries I've been to. I have been saving these for close to 40 years now.

As others have mentioned, just make sure you 'check-off' that you want your old passport returned.
Feb 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM

I just dropped off my passport renewal last night and my old one was cancelled, they cut the corner off the front cover and gave it back to me no problem.

I needed my old one back because it still has a valid Brazilian visa in it that (I think) I can still use by presenting both passports.
Feb 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will go to the passport office next week to renew my passport without declaring it lost.