Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your U.S. passport when you don't have any more empty pages?

What do you do with your U.S. passport when you don't have any more empty pages?

Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Posts: n/a
What do you do with your U.S. passport when you don't have any more empty pages?

Only one more page left and I will need to get my new passport. However, I would like to keep my passport with all those stamped pages and some of the stamps are very unique (Galapagos, Mauritius). Is it possible to keep my passport or do I have to return it when I'm applying for a new one?
Were you able to keep your passport?
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:34 AM
Posts: n/a
The last time I had a passport renewed, they sent the old one back with the corners cut off.
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:54 AM
Posts: n/a
Actually, unless your passport is expiring soon, you don't need to get a new passport at all. You just need the Holy Grail for those of us who are obsessed with passport stamps: Passport Extension Pages.

If you still have a couple of years of validity for your passport (I would probably do it even if I only had a year and a half!), you can just send it into the goverment with a special form (I've pasted a link to the form below), and they will add something like 24 blank pages and send the whole thing back to you. Yay!

The next time you apply for a NEW passport, if you're feeling optimistic, you can request a larger passport, which comes with more pages than the usual one does.


Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:56 AM
Posts: n/a
If you're referring to an American passport, you don't have to get a new one unless your current passport is expiring. If its still valid for awhile, you can simply have supplemental pages added to the existing passport. The extra pages will be attached in the middle of your current passport. You'll have to send it in to a regional passport office to have this done. I did it a few years ago and don't remember which, if any, forms or fees are required for this, but check the U.S. State Department web site to get the details.

If your passport is actually expiring (which mine did this past May), you will have to submit the passport along with new photos and accompanying forms to a passport office to have a renewal passport issued. I believe the fee for this has just gone up, from $40 to $55. Again, you can get the details on the State Dept. web site, and download the forms that you need to send in. They will return your old passport to you.
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Posts: n/a
Thank you for such great information. My passport expiers April 2006 so I will apply for the passport extension pages.

We went to Greece twice and never got our passport stamped. Did you?
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Posts: n/a
You can also try calling your post office. The one near me had a passport specialist come in periodically.

Sometimes the immigration officials won't automatically stamp your passport, and you have to ask them to do it.
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Posts: n/a
Nancy, western European countries don´t usually stamp passports.
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Posts: n/a
If you want to keep your passport, just say you lost it and there is no charge -- I actually really lost mine.

Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Posts: n/a
My friend just sent in her passport for new pages and the cost was $35. She did it through the travel agency, whoo were booking her trip, which also required a visa.
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Feb 13th, 2009 12:56 PM
Jul 30th, 2007 07:32 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:01 PM.