Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

name change on passport: do you sign your new name?

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been 6 months but finally my name has been legally changed. I started the procedure on March 16, 05. I got my passport back on 9/14/05 (that took only 2- 3 weeks)

It took a long time because my finger prints are unreadable. I had to go back and got my fingerprint done the second time. The result was the same but they accepted it. I would make a very good criminal. My husband believes I sandpapered my fingers so that no one could track me down.

Now I wondered if I should sign my new name on the first page along side with the old name or should I just leave it alone. I've read a few posts about this but no one mentioned if they signed their new name.

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM

I am confused. You had a valid passport correct? And all you had to do was have your passport amended to your new name (I assume your new married name). I have never heard of having to have your fingerprints taken to amend your passport. Are you talking about a US Passport?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Why ARE you asking US this question? We are NOT passport, Immigration, etc., officials.

And if you get advice here about this important matter and it is incorrect what are you going to do then...say you heard it on a travel board?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:28 AM
P_M

Hi, tiaw. This does not sound like the process for a US passport, so please state your nationality. It's possible that someone from your country will have the answer, but regardless, I would ask the authorities.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

It's a US passport. I changed from married name to my maiden name.
Anyway, called passport office and they told me I don't have to sign my name on the front page. Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

I guess I wasn't clear. The name change procedure is separate from changing the name on the passport. I have to get the name change done first through the court. To do that they need to check my background by using my fingerprints. Then get the court order and had a public announcement. Then I get the final paper from the judge saying that now my last name has been changed from A to B. After that I sent that court order along with current passport to get it amended.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
hsv

Well, I have no idea as to what the correct procedure would be, but common sense would tell me that it would be sort of confusing to have a signature on a passport that differs from the name on it - provided the signature is readable.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM

When you get your passport amended, the passport office will print up an `Amendment' page -- the old front page will have a stamp on it telling officials to look at the Amendment page.

There is a place for you to sign your new name on the Amendment page. At least there was when I did it.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I read in the N Y Times the other day, that in the near future, passports will no longer be amended, replacement passports will be necessary.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Hi elaine, kswl posted that she received an email from the State Dept. advising after September something (I don't remember the exact date) that passports will not be amended. A new passport will be issued. And then someone else advised that it is on the Gov'ts website under "Press Releases". That was a couple of days ago.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM
KT

That was me who posted the State Dep't press release. Here it is again, with its URL:

Effective September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, Passport Services will no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.

If the change is within one year after issuance, they will submit a U.S. Passport Re-Application Form (DS 5504), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge for routine processing.

If the change is more than one year after issuance, customers will need to submit an Application for Passport By Mail (DS-82), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new pictures. The cost includes the $55 application fee and $12 security surcharge, for a total of $67 for routine processing. Of course, if the requested data change is due to a printing error by Passport Services, there will be no charge.

Those only needing to add visa pages to their passports will submit an Application for Additional Visa Pages (DS-4085). This service is always free of charge when routine.

If expedited service is requested for any of these changes, except an error by Passport Services, there will be an additional charge of $60 per application. The purchase of two-way overnight delivery remains optional but is recommended if time is short.

All of these forms will be available online at travel.state.gov. The Passport Amendment/Validation Form (DS-19), previously used to amend passports, will no longer be valid. For more information on applying for a U.S. passport, forms, and a wealth of other international travel information, please visit our website at travel.state.gov.

Here's the URL:
www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2005/53505.htm
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Hi, KT, thank you or reposting this important information! Take care.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I am currently holding an amended passport due to my name change after marriage. The front page with my picture is unchanged-- no new signature. On the very back page it has a statement of the official name change.

At least 80% of the time security people don't notice, but once in awhile there is a lengthy pause as they compare the boarding pass to the passport. I usually speak up and say, "My name was changed when I got married", and that's the end of it.

I am up for renewal next year, so I anticipate getting a new passport reflecting the married name only. I guess I'll see!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Hi rsb, yes when you renew your passport next year you will of course show your "new" name on the renewal application and you will receive your renewal passport in your new married name. Wishing you and your DH many decades of travelling to everywhere you two want to visit.