Extra passport photos--non-essential?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone bothers to carry around extra passport photos, which I have read a few sources recommend. It would seem you should be able to buy them in Europe if for some reason they were needed and would be just one more thing to get. We WILL bring a spare copy of the front page of our passports. Any experiences? We're leaning toward not bothering with them; will be in UK, France, Germany & Austria.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't personally remember reading any advice to bring extra photos. What folks generally advise is to bring spare copies of the photo page from the passport itself.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM

If you are fairly sure that you won't lose your passport, no need to bring extra passport pix along. If you have to replace your passport, I would imagine that it would be more of a nuisance to get new passport pix in a country where you don't speak the language than carry two itty bitty passport pix.

The copy of the first page of the passport does not help in the issuance of the actual replacement passport. It's only helpful to prove your citizenship to the consular official.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The copy is generally not intended for replacing a lost passport. It is for when you need your passport while walking around like for VAT paperwork, etc. . . . .
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I have read/heard that having the 1st page really DOES help when getting a replacement passport issued. Fortunately, I have no personal experience on the topic and hope never to. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the issue. I have also read/heard that it is handy to have a copy of the 1st page when making large purchases, etc.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM

I get extras when they're taken for renewing and always carry them. You just never know...
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There's something I'm not understanding here. Is the idea to carry extra passport photos in case you need to replace your passport? If so, don't bother. If you think you might need a photo for a travel pass or something, passport photos are too big. There are automatic photo booths everywhere.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've read/heard that it can be useful to carry them around, just in case you need to get a replacement passport. I would think if you need a replacement, getting new photos would be the least of your concerns. In any case, I'm leaning toward not boethering at this point. We didn't take any "spares" when we got our photos taken.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 02:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That's exactly what I was thinking: "least of your worries" in you need to replace your passport! (Just for the record, every U.S. Embassy has a list of local photographers that can take the weird U.S. passport format.)
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM

I guess one reason for this belt/suspenders and belt again bringing of photos, might be if you were facing a long-holiday weekend in another country, and photographers' shops are closed.
But then even the US consulate or embassy might also be closed; I am, luckily, not familiar, with emergency services.
If I had the extra photos, I might take them. If I didn't, I wouldn't worry about it. I do carry a passport page photocopy page with me when I travel--it lives in my suitcase.