COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Passport Copy

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Passport Copy

I have seen several comments about carrying a copy of one's passport and leaving the original in the safe at the hotel. Does one copy all the pages or just the cover and picture page?
Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:05 AM

Just the cover and the picture page. But if you need to cash traveller's checks, you'll need to have the real passport with you.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Picture and signature page does it.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:08 AM
MGB

Usually just your specific information is copied so if you lose the passport they have your number etc,. We usually never leave the passport in a safe but carry it with us in a secure hidden pocket type device.

The copy is usually retained elsewhere from your person so if you lose the original you have the copy. A thought now is if you have remote access to your computer files, scan the passport in and have a copy there.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Jed

We copy and carry just the picture page, but we have never been asked for it.

Has anyone actually been unexpectedly asked to show a passport in a foreign country while touring outside of the hotel?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:15 AM

I've read a thread a while go stating that it's against the Federal law to copy government documents, including passports. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Has anyone encountered problem with a federal officer?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:30 AM

I don't believe that it's a problem legally, to copy the ID page of your passport. It's easier to replace it should it be lost or stolen because it has all of the pertinent information including the passport number.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Jed

I suspect there is a difference in copying your passport for identification purposes, and copying someone else's passport for who-knows-what purpose.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:53 AM

what I read was that it was illegal to COLOR copy a passport.

an old fashioned B&W copy is still ok.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Hi
I have been asked for my passport while shopping, in order to arrange for VAT refund paperwork.
Once I just used the photocopy, which was fine.

Someone recently pointed out to me that it would also be a good backup plan to leave a set of the photocopies you carry (passport, credit card numbers, atm numbers, etc) with someone reliable at home, who could fax them to you in an emergency. That same reliable person could, with necessary passwords make the local phone calls on your behalf to your bank or credit company in case of lost cards.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:05 AM
SRC51102

Yes yes, just to add to the above, always make sure relatives have a copy of your passport before leaving the country. It doesn't hurt to give them copies of your birth certificates as well. I learned all this the hard way, when our passports were stolen in '97 at the Athen's airport, on our way home. Anyone you leave copies with should also be willing and able to fax things to you in the event of an emergency--and as in our case, in the middle of the night.

As a result, we never leave our passports anywhere. When abroad, I always carry them on my person--mainly out of fear for what happened 6 years ago.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Well I made color copies of my pic page(and my wifes'). Guess I'll see if I get in any trouble. As far as credit cards go... I called all of mine and got the collect number to call while in Europe. That why I can call, free of charge, if I need to report a card lost or stolen.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Jed

Let's look in the horse's mouth. Check out the US State Dept - Passport web site. <http://travel.state.gov/tips_for_travelers.html>

It advises you to make 2 copies of your passport identification page, take one with you and leave one home. There is nothing about color.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Also- I had to have my passport ammended after I was married. They printed the notice that my name was offically changed in the back of the passport, so I also carry a copy of that page along with a copy of the first page.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM

With regard to the collect numbers for reporting credit card loss, it isn't just that it is free. You must use them or some other ordinary number. You cannot call an 800 number outside of the US.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:14 AM

About showing you passport for the VAT refund in a store: we show our drivers license & that seems to be enough.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:21 AM

You should also photocopy any relevant visa pages.

I was asked for my passport when I bought a plane ticket at Iberia's offices. I'm not entirely sure if it was a security issue (because I was buying a plane ticket) or an identification issue because I wanted to use a credit card. The agent explained something to me in Spanish (I caught about half of it), and she might have said that in Spain, they sometimes want to see your passport when you use a credit card for an expensive item. I expect a copy of the photo and signature would be sufficient.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM

What do you mean Gretchen??? I do understand that you cannot call an 800, 877, etc number outside the US(and perhaps Canada) but how are the other numbers not free? Get the operator on the phone and tell her(him) you would like to make a collect call. Give them the phone number (Non toll free number). Doesn't get any more free than that. Each of my credit card compaies offer this service. Some post the number on back and tell you call collect outside of the US, the others you need to call ahead of time to get that number. Point being, you should not have to pay to report your card lost or stolen.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM

I just copy the first double page in B&W. I always assumed this was simply to make it easier to replace your passport if it was lost/stolen because it shows all the information/numbers, not that you'd actually use it as a form of ID. Actually I carry my real passport & keep the copy tucked in my suitcase.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I always carry around a copy of the page with the info and my photo, no need for the cover as it doesn't say anything but your country, which is on the inside page. I have used that copy to cash travelers' checks with no problem quite a few times. I don't think a place would have to accept it, but they always have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO