Vancouver

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver

Hi all. We are planning on visiting Vancouver from mid to late March. We have our 1 year old daughter traveling with us. I just have a few quick questions. Is a car necessary to get around Vancouver? We are planning a trip to Whistler and possibly Victoria. I figure we need a car to get to Whistler but not to get around Vancouver. Is this accurate?

Also, what is the weather in mid to late March like? Lastly, any good hotel recommendations are appreciated (preferably ones with a kitchen). Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Yes, I think you are accurate. You don't need a car in the city, but it would be great to drive up to Whistler. There is a train that goes to Whistler. I did a day trip to Whistler a few years ago on the train.

The weather should be very spring like. Perhaps rainy... but mild.

Sorry, can't help with hotels.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM

the Coast Plaza on comox@denman in the west end near stanley park has some one bedroom suites w/ kitchens. it's built above a super market and shopsits a great location w/ lots of dining out opportunities as well and well served by public transit

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM

We'd feel better if we knew in advance from where you are visiting.

Mid to late March could bring almost any sort of weather common to the area.

If it is sunny then the air will probably be chilly and it will be windy.

If there is no sun, it will probably be rainy and wet most of the time.

IF you are coming from Nunavut or the like, this will be wonderful weather by your standards. If, however, you are coming from California, you may be unhappy.

Generally speaking, getting around Vancouver is much easier than in most cities of comparable size. The downtown area is pretty flat, and surrounded on most sides by water. There is lots to do within a small-seeming area and the diversity makes the dining and shopping quite interesting as well.

Enjoy!

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM

The Bayshore and the Hotel Vancouver are expensive. I recently stayed at the Sunset Inn and Suites off Davie. We had a studio apartment for $114 Canadian, including taxes, which had a full kitchen. It was lovely. It is close to the bus stops on Davie and a short walk to English Bay, and Mole Hill. It is also about a five minute walk to the transit stop for the bus to and from the airport.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM

It just occured to me that another hotel to consider is the Days Inn on Pender. It is right downtown. Across the street is an entrance to the Pacific Centre Mall. We paid about $130 per night, but that was a special and it was five years ago. (Although, the economy what it is, you might get a similar special).