Best of Vancouver?

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of Vancouver?

My DH and I will be in Vancouver next month for about 1.5 days. What are the 'must-see' sites? We're more into nature (no museums)and since we'll have a rental car we would like to take a scenic drive. How is the Capilano Suspension Bridge?

Also any recs for dim sum or local's fav. restaurants? I've read that the Imperial is the best for dim sum.. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM

Angela,

We didn't have car whilst in Vancouver so we didn't cross the bridge but had a wonderful relaxing day Cycling around Stanley Park and then visiting the Aquarium in the park.
There were lots of places/small beaches to stop off at and just enjoy the views.

We also spent a day just walking in and around Canada Place and Coal Harbour and then going up the lookout tower to see the City from a different perspective.

These places took you away from the City feel.

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the tips Tedd! My only concern with doing outdoor activities in Vancouver is the weather. The averages are in the mid 40s which is fine for us, but I'm wondering if it will be raining a lot...?
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM

Pot luck with the weather but hope you manage to avoid the rain. We were very lucky in our 18 day stay in the Rockies as it rained only 2 days but this was July and hence we spent a lot of time outdoors.

I'm sure someone can advise on indoor enjoyment in case of the worsed.

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
BAK

It will probably rain.

That said, just dress for it, because the best "natural" part of Vancouver is outside, or almost outside.

When Ihave sparer time there, I like to go down to the harbour near the Pan Pacific Hotel, drive around the seawall at Stanley Park, drive up to the base of the gondola in North Van, take the sea bus from downtown Vancouver over to North Vancouver, and visit Granville Island. There, I buy various pieces of foods fromsdiffernt vendors, and put together a lunch which I eat either outside, or in the seating area, which when last visited still had big windows and a good view.

By getting food from the retailers, I combine cheese, breads, and smoked salmon, plus fruit in season.

BAK
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
ALF

I think the Capilano Bridge is a good place to visit. The bridge itself is fun to cross, over a narrow deep gorge, but then there are some nice short walking trails on the other side. Most folks just seem to cross the bridge and then go back.

Also nearby is the Grouse Mtn gondola lift, which will take you high above the Vancouver area for great views.

You should also consider driving the 'Sea to Sky Highway' which goes from Horseshoe Bay northward along spectacular Howe Sound to the picturesque town of Squamish, and then on to Whistler and beyond. There are several small provincial parks along the way (http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Parks...asp?regionID=5)
You might just want to drive to Squamish to see the great water views. Parts of this highway are perpetually under construction, but still, I think it would be worth it.

Of course, all of the above depend on the weather. You can do Capilano even in the rain, but Grouse Mtn isn't worth it if the clouds are too low. Likewise, I wouldn't drive to Squamish if I couldn't see the mountains surrounding Howe Sound.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM

Not sure from where you are traveling but with 1.5 days in Vancouver in 2008 it might make sense to take the out-of-town trip to Whistler Ski Area, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The scenery on the drive there CAN be gorgeous (although a clear, sunny day is best - not impossible in March given the wind)

Grousse Mountain Skyride is always fun, and there is plenty of nature to be appreciated from that vantage point.

Just driving around Stanley Park and stopping whenever it strikes you to do so is entertaining. Vancouver is a neat city with lots of great views all around and the mountains should be especially photogenic in March.

You can make great use of 1.5 days in Vancouver.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. We are spending a week in Whistler (driving in from Seattle) prior to our time in Vancouver, so we will be doing to the drive up through Squamish to Whistler.

That said - I've read on here you can get cheap lift tickets at the 7/11 in Squamish - does that still hold true?

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

P.S. Also has anyone done the ziptrek in Whistler? Is it worth it? Thanks! =)
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Hi, You can get cheap lift tickets at any 7-11 in Vancouver. If the weather is nice when in Vancouver I would second the Capilaino bridge or Lynn Canyon suspension bridge(free) which also has a nice walk on other side. You could drive up Cypree bowl ski area(Mtn next to grouse) there's a look out 1/2 way up. The gondola up Grouse is good too. Or a visit to Steveston village in Richmond, or a walk along the promenade and pier in White Rock. If it's raining you could do Granville Island, White Rock pier or Stroll and people watch on Robson Just dress for the weather. The weather can be totally different in White Rock,Tsawassen than on the North shore. We get 1/10th the rain and far more sun.