Staying in Vancouver

Feb 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Staying in Vancouver

Does anyone know a reasonable place to stay for a couple nights in the west end of Vancouver, BC for 4 adults? There will be one friend that has difficulty walking long distances. Do you need a car in Vancouver?
Feb 16th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Hmmmmmmmph... well, because central Vancouver is surrounded on most sides by water, it is fairly compact and not particularly hilly. The bus system is fine, and decent people are walking the streets at all hours of the night - in numbers not matched by most North American cities of considerable size. The weather, while variable, doesn't typically get too bad for too long, to limit walking outdoors.

So I'd generally think you don't "need" a car to be a tourist in Vancouver.
Feb 16th, 2014, 05:57 PM

There is a Hop on Hop Off Trolley that works well for some sightseeing-

I am not really sure what you mean by "west end." I stayed at the Rosedale on Robson - very nice hotel- I had a suite - it has a full kitchen - close to many activities, it has a restaurant in the ground floor

Check Hello BC website for things to do- you can even call and talk to them about hotels-
Feb 17th, 2014, 05:16 AM

I've stayed in 3 different places, all in the Denham/Robson area near Stanley park. Times Square Suites is lovely if you want kitchen facilities and two bedrooms. If you are bothered by street noise forgo the view and ask for a suite at the back. If you prefer discount, look at Buchan. Some of the rooms have shared bath down the hall, not everyone's cup of tea. Coast Hotel also has suites and is acceptable but doesn't have the intimate feel of Times Square. I've always relied on public transit during our stays but the Hop On option is likely a good choice for your party.
Feb 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM

The West End is the western end of the downtown peninsula - anywhere west of Burrard Street, bordered by English Bay, Coal Harbour, and Stanley Park.

No, you don't need a car at all, as Vancouver, especially it's downtown core is all walkable, but if your friend has difficulty walking, who's to say - you might want to splurge on a car. Otherwise, public transit is excellent, and it would be worthwhile paying the $9 or whatever it is for a day pass, as that would be more convenient than paying the $2.75 in change every 90 minutes you wish to use the bus, the Skytrain or the Canada Line.

The issue with having a car in Vancouver is that it's expensive compared to other North American cities. Parking meters run from 9am until 10pm 7 days a week and cost around $3 an hour. Hotel parking often costs $20-40 per day, and most attractions have paid parking.

"Reasonable" is a relative term - what's reasonable for Vancouver hotel prices: the Times Square Suites, the Sandman Suites on Davie, the Burrard, the YWCA Hotel. These are all reasonable for Vancouver. Perhaps expensive compared to small town Texas, or cheap compared to Tokyo or London... but for Vancouver, these places are good, all in walkable places with restaurants, shops, the seawall, etc. nearish enough.
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Hi, i always stay @ the coast plaza on comox @ denman. nice rooms w/ views and some w/ kitchens. great friendly staff and you are just a few blocks from english bay and stanley park. denman is lined w/ restaurants and shops including a safeway supermarket. the number 5/6 robson/davie bus is 2 the corner w/ access to the skytrain via the 21 0r 23 2 blocks away on davie

i'm off for 2 nights there next week!
cheers
AndrewDavid