Driving Times-Canadian Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long would it take me to drive from Edmonton to Jasper, then from Jasper to Lake Louise. Planning to visit next summer. Trying to determine where I should book lodging. Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:26 AM
ltt

edmonton to jasper - i'd plan on 3 1/2 hours - 367 km. the speed limit most of the way is 110 km/hour. there is a town 1/2 way called edson if you want to stop for a break. nothing exciting but they do have restaurants.
jasper to lake louise via the parkway is only (i think) technically 2 1/2 hours (232 km) but you want to allow at least 4 so you can make stops. if you want to do any trails or go up on the glacier, allow more time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Itt....
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:43 AM
BAK

I would not plan a trip based on averaging speeds close to the speed limit.

The rocky mountains head north on an angle, and it's not much further to drive from Edmonton to Calgary, and then west to Lake Louise. Depending on where you want to end up, plan a circle, in either direction, Edmonton - Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Edmonton.

Jasper to Lake Louise can easily take a day, if you stop at the Columbia Icefields, visit some of the lakes, and generally enjoy yourself.

And Edmonton to Jasper can be done in the evening, including some driving after dark, because the trip is so dull. In the summer in northern Alberta, it stays light well into the evening, too.

BAK

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:48 AM

You may want to consider topping up with gas in Hinton (about 45 to 50 minutes from Jasper townsite) because the gas is usually cheaper there than in the Mountain Parks.

I would suggest booking lodging in Jasper and then in Lake Louise. That way you can spend time in the Jasper area visiting the local attractions and seeing the sights before you travel south on the Icefield Parkway to Lake Louise.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:56 AM

Oh, I don't know BAK - the drive from Edmonton to Jasper is rather pretty, especially between Hinton and Jasper, because it travels through the boreal forest (the foothills).

The drive to do in the evening is Edmonton-Calgary; you can put the car in cruise control and practically sleep the entire way!!

By the way GailLK - be careful if you decide to drive Edmonton-Jasper in the evening. The sun will be in your eyes, and there are many deer along (and often on) the highway, especially from Wabumun Lake to Edson. We have personal experience with this, & how difficult it is to stop when travelling at (ahem!! cough! cough!!) 110 km/hr and suddenly a deer jumps on the road.