Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

7 nights in Canada: 2 in Quebec City, 3 in Montreal: Where do I go for the other 2?

7 nights in Canada: 2 in Quebec City, 3 in Montreal: Where do I go for the other 2?

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm headed for a weeks vacation (Maybe 8 days) I have read that 2 in Quebec and 3 in Montreal is sufficient. Where else should I go? Is it worthwhile to take the train to Toronto or are there closer places of interest? Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Where are you coming from?
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM

Personally, I did 3 days in Montreal and wished I had stayed at least another day. I spent one day in Old Montreal, one day at the Biodome/Olympic Tower/Botanical Gardens and one day downtown. It would have been nicer to have 2 days downtown and two days in Old Montreal just because there is so much to see.

If it were me, I'd do 3 days in Quebec and 4 in Montreal and know I had time to relax a bit while I'm there.

If you're set on doing a third location, two days in Toronto is definitely not enough. You could do Ottawa or the 1000 Islands area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I am coming from Florida. I am meeting a friend who is flying in from Texas. We both like to see and do all we can when we travel.

After looking at how far Toronto is, I thought maybe a side trip from either Montreal or Quebec City would be a better idea.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM

I would do an extra day in Montréal and one in Ottawa.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

You could either do a side trip from Quebec City to the Charlevoux area, which is very scenic and rural; or you could drive two hours west from Montreal to Ottawa, which is an interesting city especially if you like museums. Ottawa also has perhaps the best urban bicycling trails in North America.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM

Hmmmmmmm, a puzzler indeed.

I contend that the path between Montreal and QC will afford you plenty of rural Canadian scenery.

(by the way, if you're driving, I suggest that between Trois Rivieres and Quebec you should opt for the smaller highway #138 along the river and through the townships vs. the bigger freeway #40 which runs parallel)

The Ottawa idea is a good one... and the path from Montreal to Ottawa is far more enjoyable than the dull countryside along most of the path between Mtl and Toronto.

If you went to Toronto you'd be arriving in the largest city in Canada without enough time to do it justice.

Just gazing at the map of the area... as I've been to most of the spots already mentioned, if it were me, I might go north on the highway 55/155 from Trois Rivieres for a while just to see what's up there (with a *scenic* designation on the road all the way)

Maaaaaaaybe your answer is to just be a bit more leisurely on the itinerary you already have without cramming something else into it.

good luck

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Hi noles,

I agree with others that an extra day in Montreal and then a day in Ottawa could be fun.

Ottawa is compact enough that a full day could give you a nice idea of what the city is about.

What time of year are you visiting? If you need any help for the Montreal portion of your trip, I am a native so you can feel free to email me. aucho53 @ hotmail dot com

Layla
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I was not planning on renting a car and it appears there is sufficient public transportation. I was planning to take the train from Montreal to Quebec. Should I rent a car instead?

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Agree with Ottawa - a very nice city and one that we enjoyed very much.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Hi noles22,

I wouldn't rent a car, driving in Montreal is not always the most "pleasant" experience to say the least lol! The train is quick and comfy to QC city.

Layla