Whistler hotels - Pan Pacific hotels

Jul 31st, 2008, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Whistler hotels - Pan Pacific hotels

I am considering going to Whistler for a few days before a cruise - trying to decide between the Pan Pacific Village Center and Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside.

We are just interested in walking around Whistler..... Is one of these hotels better than the other? We will be there mid September.

The Fairmont is considerable more - I would consider other hotels if there are some good recommendations.

Thanks.
Jul 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ike

Check out the Four Seasons. I would think PP is about the same as Fairmont and FS.
Jul 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
ALF

As the names imply, one hotel is located at the Whistler ski lifts, while the other is in the middle of the Village. They are a short distance from each other, about 4 blocks, so either location is just fine for walking around the village. Mountainside seems to be a little further upscale and I'm pretty sure that it is generally more expensive. We have stayed at Mountainside during the ski season, and it is a fantastic location for skiing, but during the summertime, there is little advantage to that location.

There are just so many choices of hotels/condos! Pan Pacific is at the higher end, but there are plenty of nice places that aren't quite as fancy, for less money:
The Sundial (perhaps more expensive?)
Westin Resort
Hilton Whistler
Crystal Lodge
Executive Inn
Tyndall Stone Lodge
Whistler Cascade Lodge

Go to http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/acc...ions/index.htm to see what's available.
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM

As of this minute, just getting to Whistler will be a challenge...the Sea to Sky highway has been closed by a massive rockfall.
Jul 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I am not going until Sept so hopefully the road will be open and there won't be any problems.

Of all days to decide to go is the day in which there was a rock slide!

I was able to find a promo code for the Fairmont (for $139) and reserved that while I evaluate the other hotels. If I remember correctly, one of the PPs was $119 and the other was slightly higher.

I don't mind spending $139 - the hotel I had reserved in Vancouver was $289 - I was hoping it would come down or show up on Hotwire but prices were holding steady. There are 5 ships in port that day in Vancouver - thus the higher costs.
Jul 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

So while I have the Fairmont held, I am still checking around.....

Ironically - for the time I am looking (Sept), the Pan Pacific Mountainside is cheaper. The more I look, it appears I probably want to stay in the Village so my search continues a tad more.

Four Seasons is very $$$$.
Jul 31st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ike

Why don't you stay at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver then walk across the street and board your cruise. Whistler is a pretty good drive to YVR.
Jul 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

I have been to Vancouver 4 or 5 times. I had Pan Pacific booked for $300/night before our cruise. Fairmont was higher.

I thought I would do something different this time. I just changed my flight so instead of flying in the day before the cruise, I am now flying in 3 days before the cruise.

I figure this will be a perfect time to see Whistler. I won't be in Canada next year and the following year is the Olympics and I will probably avoid the area because it will be $$$$ then.

It looks like a gorgeous place!