Sofitel vs. Le Germain

Aug 1st, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Sofitel vs. Le Germain

What is the best luxury hotel in Montreal? After much research, I have come to the conclusion that the Sofitel is probably the best place to stay. Any thoughts on the Sofitel vs. Le Germain? (The Le St. James also seems very nice but is twice the price.)
Aug 1st, 2004, 09:16 AM

I am in the same situation, and am hoping to see replies to your posting. I am currently booked at St. James (for the first leg of our trip), but am wondering if Le Germain would be better based on what I've read. For our return visit to Montreal I am considering between the Sofitel and Loew's Vogue. Any advise from anyone who has stayed at these hotels? How are the rooms? Thanks!
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM

I just topped a thread comparing the Sofitel, Le Germain and Vogue that havaneses had posted a while back.
My hotel is the Le Germain, the Sofitel would be my second choice.
Have you looked at the sites online and photos of the hotels?
Aug 1st, 2004, 09:43 PM

Yes I have looked at the sites online and photos of the hotels, but it is hard to tell what they are really like. I was tempted to cancel my reservation at le St. James and book Le Germain (better deal and great reviews) but I noticed my AAA book only gives Le Germain 3 diamonds, while St.James, Sofitel, and Vogue (the other hotels I'm considering) all received 4 diamonds. In my experience the rooms in hotels rated 3 diamonds are generally not as nice nor as clean as those rated 4 diamonds. So I am confused as to Le Germain's strong recommendations. Can anyone comment on this and compare the above mentioned hotels?
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:20 AM

Cleanliness is really not a factor; le Germain is impeccable !! I think it has to do with amenities maybe.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:04 AM

The difference between three and four diamonds is service... as the AAA puts it "At the four and five diamond levels, service is key."

If a property deemed to be of four or five diamond potential, an undercover inspector is sent. If the service is anything less than outstanding, even a stunning, immaculate property will only receive three diamonds.
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:02 AM

The Ritz has traditionally been the #1
hotel in Montreal. It has a gothic
stone exterior.

The Omni which is virtually across the street from Sofitel was
the former Four Seasons. It has a good
mainfloor restaurant and a sushi restaurant.

Both are on Sherbrooke in the heart of downtown.

I'd stay at the Ritz.
Aug 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I can't comment on the St-Germain, but I can lend a voice on the Sofitel and the Vogue.

A few years back, I organized a business conference at the Vogue and the participants were put up there, as well. These were people in the advertising industry coming from all corners of the world. Without, exception, they loved the Vogue.

Among business people in the city, it is now considered one of the prime places to hold events and book rooms for clients.

I personally stayed at the Sofitel on my wedding night and loved it. Beyond its reputation as an upscale, luxurious hotel, the Sofitel is known in the city for having some of the most comfortable beds and pillows. Words can't describe them.

As for decor, the rooms at the Vogue are probably more richly decorated, while the Sofitel's rooms are clean, bright crisp and where urban-chic is the order of the day.

As for location, they're both great. The Vogue is a little more in the middle of things (which means the street gets really busy and while I don't know for sure, there may be a little more noise at night). The Sofitel is on our famous Sherbrooke street, but it's a short (very short) walk to get to the thick of the action.
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM

The Ritz is a wee bit tired and needs a real cheering up. It had it's day but for most people, these younger more modern luxury hotels seem to be more satisfying when one wants to be pampered.
The Omni is very nice. We stayed there when it was the Four Seasons, then the Westin then the Omni
We always got a Jr Suite on a high floor facing Mt Royal. But my preference has changed towards the more European personal touch that one gets from the smaller boutique hotels.
doc, do let us know what you pick and how it was!
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:55 PM

We just returned from Montreal and had a wonderful time. We stayed at Le Germain for the first leg of our trip. For our return visit we stayed at the Sofitel. We would highly recommend both hotels, but the Sofitel was our favorite. The beds were so comfortable and the rooms were beautiful and very clean. We also loved the feel of the hotel as well as the location on Sherbrooke.
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM

Topping for Booyah