Romantic restaurant in Toronto

Apr 27th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Romantic restaurant in Toronto

Anyone know a nice quiet intimate restaurant in Toronto with great food and a good wine list?

Thanks
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Depends on your budget...if money is no object try Susur (abt $400 for 2 with say a $60 bottle of wine, taxes and tip), Opus, Via Allegro (all known for their food and wine). Via Allegro is not as quiet but has one of the best wine cellars in Toronto, dont let its location fool you, its expensive and the food is great!
Check out www.torontolife.com for more information and ideas.
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
wow

Le Select on Queen St.W.
May 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM
wow

Hi, Nickel! I hope that you did not go to Le Select on my prior recommendation. If so, I am sorry. We had dinner there tonight. It was so terrible I cannot (will not) even begin to describe it. I will, however, tell you about one "dinner".Mine. I had the Tiger Prawns & they were awful...tasted like frozen, cooked shrimp which had been heated up. It was served w/ rice which was a big, goopy circular blob plopped down in the middle of the plate. It was so gross...inedible. The 5 or 6 shrimp were piled on top of this "rice goop". Then the entire mess was encircled w/ a sauce....teriyaki? black bean? who knows??? What the heck was it supposed to be?? Le Select?

The other dishes were pretty bad too....Very disappointing. This is a restaurant that has been on Queen St W for over 25 years! They are supposed to be moving to "a new location" on Wellington. I say it shd just close its doors. Au Revoir, Le Select.
May 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Quartier on Yonge St. south of Eglinton. Wonderful ambiance, food, wine and service. A truly french bistro.
May 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Just a few comments on the recommendations above - Quartier is great - the service and food are both exemplary. Susur has groundbreaking food but I wouldn't call it romantic by any means and it isn't really quiet either.

Another suggestion would be the Corner House which is located near Casa Loma and has a french leaning. Opus, suggested above, would also be a good pick, as would Auberge du Pommier which is at the north end of the city. You might also want to take a look at Celestin (midtown) or Gamelle (on the College Street strip)
May 14th, 2005, 01:27 PM

The Sultan's Tent & Cafe Moroc is in Old Town - 49 Front St. E. Google them. Very sensual and exotic. Moroccan food. Draped fabric. Belly dancers. I've only been once but it left an impression.
Jun 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Our favourite is a little Italian restaurant called Positano in our neighbourhood (mid-town). Owned by 2 lovely Italian guys, one from Capri and one from Siciy. Specials are always spectacular, wine list is great and it's small and intimate. Give it a try!