Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your absolute favorite Italian restaurant in Toronto

Aug 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM
allen

I love Italian food. What is the best place for Italian. I'm staying in Yorkville,but I will travel elsewhere if better.Choices: Verona,La Fenice,Sotto Sotto,Splendido, Mistura,Scaramouche, Il Posto Nuovo, or La Bruschetta. Where would you go to eat? Give in order of top three choices

Aug 28th, 2002, 06:14 PM
al

Tough question...I can't say I have "top 3" Italian restaurant. Certainly, Scaramouche is a great restaurant - get a window table - but it is not usually classifed as an Italian resturant.

Many swear by Sotto Sotto including visiting celebs. Another good Yorkville restuarant is Opus which has a great wine list.

Some other suggestions:
- Biagio (downtown at King and Jarvis) for its patio in the back at lunch time.
- Oro (Elm St)
- Via Allegro (1750 Queensway W) which is in the west end has what many say is the best wine cellar in Toronto.

Aug 29th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Geoff

The best Italian restaurants in Toronto are in fact outside of Yorkville. Try Little Italy (St.Clair Ave. West) -- Filipo's on St. Clair is awesome. Also, most Italian restaurants on College St. West are fine -- real atmosphere.

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Flynn

When I visited Toronto, I really liked an Italian restaurant called Nervosa in Yorkville. It's small, friendly, has a great European vibe and the food was delicious and moderately priced.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Louisa

Il Fornelo in downtown between Bay and Younge, it may be on Elm (not sure as stumbled upon it while wandering around). Absolutely the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant, fabulous wine recommendations, great food and service. We sat on the upstair balcony among the trees with twinkle lights in them. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Louisa

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM
cindy

Il Fornello is a chain; there are quite a few of them around. They're OK, nothing extraordinary in my view. La Fenice is very good, but I agree that many of the best ones would be in Little Italy, which is on College Street as well as in the Oakwood/St. Clair area.

Aug 30th, 2002, 12:47 PM
xox

Marcello's on St. Clair just East of Dufferin on the South side of the street is truly one of the best authentic Southern Italian restaurants in Toronto. The food is excellent, the atmosphere laid back and friendly and the prices are reasonable.

Aug 30th, 2002, 01:00 PM
traveler

If you're open to other than your list, try Al Fresco's (Italian/Mediterranean) in the Entertainment District. I think they have a website at www.alfriscos.com
We were just there a couple weeks ago, and loved it!

Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:52 PM
Sparkle

Grazie Ristorante at Yonge and Eglinton is easily my favourite Italian restaurant in the city. Amazing pasta dishes. Try the Pesaro - penne in a blue cheese pesto with asparagus. Amazing! It's on Yonge just north of Eglinton on the east side.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
gayle

La Fenice is Northern Italian and they have wonderful fresh fish/seafood. It's quite expensive. Very contemporary (looks Milanese) atmosphere. Good wine list. We eat here a few times a year.

Verona is two doors west and is not very good except for an ordinary plate of pasta.

Sotto Sotto is excellent. Very fresh, inventive. The room(s)are downstairs from street level and can feel claustrophobic. Great grill.

Splendido is not an Italian restaurant. It's continental with a couple of pasta dishes.

Mistura is also continental, but they also have a couple of pasta dishes.

Scaramouche is not Italian either...also continental, but they have The Pasta Bar which is very popular and many people love, but we think is horrible. Bad service, average food and very, very high prices.

Il Posto Nuevo is wonderful. Also high end, but a beautiful patio (if it's warm) and a lovely menu.

Via Allegro though very out of the way is very, very good. If you're an oenophile, this is a wonderful place to go with a cellar of about 100,000 bottles. Great food too.

For casual, neighbourhood Italian we enjoy Ferro on St. Clair. It can be a scene but the food is wonderful, portions very large, very well priced and fun.

Enjoy!

Jan 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM
jill

Have a look at www.menupalace.com they have all the Toronto restaurants listed with links to their websites. Very helpful site.

Jan 5th, 2003, 08:14 PM
lolly

We ate at Romagna Mia, on Front across from the St. Lawrence Market. The food was great plus excellent service.

Jan 7th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Kandice

Adriatico is the best Italian in Toronto (even Joanne Kates says so - Globe & Mail, Dec. 28/02!). They specialize in seafood, but they have other meat & veggie items as well. Best sea bream (at least I think that's what "branzino" is) I've ever had; the mussels are fantastic, and a bargain.

Jan 9th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Dina

I agree about Adriatico - the food is always fabulous and never disappointing. Usually the best things are the specials but the pappardelle with monkfish is on the regular menu and is truly mouthwatering. Really nice decor too.

Jan 10th, 2003, 09:44 AM
LJ

I can't believe this thread got so far without a mention of Grano's (Yonge between Davisville and Eglinton). Food is superb, always fresh and changing, prices reasonable and you'd swear you were in Rome when it comes to atmosphere.I am a native Torontonian living away for a year and Grano's is the restaurant I miss the most.