Right choice, help

Search

Right choice, help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right choice, help

We will be arriving in Toronto at 7 a.m by plane and we will have to spend one day in Toronto due to our connection to Anchorage .
Next day our flight leaves at 7.30 a.m.
We made a reservation in the very nice Mulberry Tree b&b.Do you think this is ok or should we better stay in a hotel close to the airport?I thought it would be nice to stay downtown and walk around, but our flight leaves early and I don't know if it was a wise decision, considering distance, traffic etc...

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:41 AM

Mulberry Tree b&b is NOT in a very nice or safe part of Toronto. I am not sure what your budget is but there are lots of better places and hotels to stay in if you want to be in TO and not the airport strip of hotels.

More info from you would be helpful!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:19 AM

I do volunteer work with homeless people just a bit south and east of where this property is located. The area is being 'upgraded' but as noted above -this is NOT a good neighbourhood.

Search posts by such Toronto experts as BAK and you will find multitudes of better choices.

cheers

Jerry
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
BAK

On the other hand, I've heard good things about the Mulberry.

It's on the edge of a good neighborhood,it's on the edge of the Gay Ghetto, etc., etc.

There are worse places to stay. And probably better.

As for staying downtown...

Usually I am all in favor of this, but maybe you are an exception.

You could arrive at the Toronto airport at 7 a.m., and take a shuttle bus to an airport area hotel. Do all the front desk work and leave your luggage, (it might be too early to actually get your room) and then head downtown around 9 a.m. for the day and evening.

It's easy enough to spend a day in downtown Toronto, and after dinner head back to the hotel by the airport. Airport hotels have shuttles that will get you to your terminal (there are three at the Toronto airport) in the morning.

Even I would be reluctant to be calling for a cab at 5 a.m. at the Mulberry.

Don't worry about the distance to downtown; it's a small price to pay in order to get away from the airport for an entire day.

Let us know if you'd like a what-to-do-all-day list.

BAK
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help.
Actually I thought it would be nice to stay in a small b&b because we would not have to deal with a big hotel and spend time at registration and when leaving. But I began to feel something was wrong when I found out how early we were leaving to the airport.We are travelling in august and that is a difficult time to get hotels.We were paying 120 dollars for the b&b and we would pay as much as needed to stay in a nice, not luxury place.We arrive from Brazil by Air Canada ,I have to find out in witch terminal and our flight next day to Anchorage is also by Air Canada.
I sure would like some advice about hotels and a one day suggestions for visiting Toronto.We like to walk.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY PLANE ARRIVES AT TERMINAL 1 AND LEAVES NEXT DAY FROM SOUTH TERMINAL, UA COUNTER.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM

I agree with everyone else. I really think you'd be better off at a hotel near the airport. It doesn't really matter which one as far as the terminals are concerned. But I'd suggest getting one that has complimentary shuttle to the airport ( Most of them do).

As for seeing Toronto, I'm a great fan of taking a 2 or 3 hours tour of the city when time is limited. Then in the afternoon you could see the CN Tower, Roger's Centre etc. BAK would be a good one to advise you .
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM

If you go onto the web site,
www.aircanada.com and click on hotels, they will give you a selection of hotesl near the airport. For an example in August they are showing Four Points Sheraton for $139.
THis hotel is over a covered walkway from Terminal 3 in the airport. YOu could take the airport shuttle ( free) from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 an walk over to the hotel.
There are many hotels that show up that are not really convenient, ( eg the ones that say Brampton), so perhaps you could check out some of them and let us know. We could advise you.

Even if you don't book through this site, it will tell you what is available.

Good luck.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
BAK

Various things.

Starting with: >Four Points Sheraton for $139.
THis hotel is over a covered walkway from Terminal 3 in the airport.<

I don't think so.

The old Days Inn across the street from Terminal Thrree has been taken over by Sheraton, and is now a Four Points, and I bet that's the hotel referred to. Lots of renovations, and it is part of Sheraton's fancy bed upgrade program.

The one actually at the airport is a "regular" Sheraton.

That said, the "new" Four Points is a five minute walk from Terminal Three. I was in it's lobby last month, just out of curiosity. Out the door, wait for the traffic light on Airport Road, cross the street and walk past a bunch of waiting limos, and you are at Terminal Three.

Those two, "real" Sheraton and Four Points, are the closest decent walking distance hotels to the airport.

Most of the other hotels have shuttles.

The best of the bunch are probably the Bristol Place Wyndam, the Holiday Inn Select, and the Airport Marriott. the Hilton is probably fine; it is just ugly that that should not affect the comfort of the beds.

For a day downtown...

Toronto has several excellent museums. The Royal Ontario Museum is a broad, general, huge place. The Bata Show Museum and the Gardiner Ceramic Museum are specialized. the Art Gallery of Ontario is a giant, first rate place. But there are dozens of small commercail galleries with a vast range or works, too. (Mostly closed on Sunday and Monday)

The Yorkville area has storews on a par with many in London, New York and Paris... certainly fancier than Anchorage. But the Queen Street West area is funky and fun and people enjoy walks there.

Lots of coffee shops where you can rest your feet, and lots of good restaurants for a leisurely lunch.

CN Tower, tour of the sports area with a removab;le roof (Rogers Center) , Hockey hall of Fame... lots to do in this city.

BAK

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM

Oopps! Thanks for the correction BAK.

Just curious ? Am I the only one who dones' 'get' Queen Street West? I read so much about it on the different forums and I just don't get the attraction. Am I just too old?
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

I entered Air Canada site and found prices for Sheraton Gateway( 262 plus tax) and Four Points(166 plus tax) for the night of 15 th of august.It is a very busy time and they do not have the lower rates anymore.The Sheraton site says that beggining in july they will have a connection to terminal one.I could not find out where terminal south , united airlines counter is, but I think it is terminal 2.Would you know?
As I will definetely stay at the airport I will follow your suggestions for sightseeing.
Thank you all for your precious advice, because I was really confused.
Is there any good art show, play or ballet that we could see?
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:02 AM

I'm sorry you could not get a better rate. When trying to decide on a hotel, don't worry too much about which terminal it is near as long as it's not too far from the airport in general. All the terminals are in the same basic area and all the hotel shuttles go to all of them.
I'd suggest you look on some of the other discount sites, even to get the names of the hotels in the area and then go to the hotels own site. Many of them now are saying they will give the best rate.

I'm sorry I can't help when it comes to art shows, or ballet.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:21 AM

I just did a search for budget hotels + Toronto airport and it came up with a lot of sites to check.
For example I went to www.choicehotels.ca and found Econolodge Inn and Suite at 6355 Airport Road and it is $87.96 a night for August 15.

Also I found Monte Carlo Inn Airport and it is $85.90 a night. This one is a bit further away, but what I like about it is that it looks fairly new. YOu'd have to make sure it does have a shuttle. It's about a 10 minute drive from the airport.

SO go with one of these, or do a search. We'd be glad to help if you find one you really like, before you make the final decision.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi
It took me some time to research all previous forum information about airport hotel plus your new additions. I found out a hotel Courtyard Toronto
Airport that belongs to the Marriot chain, that seems nice and has a better price.Has anyone stayed there or could tell me if it a nice location, fine hotel etc.?
Thank you all .
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
wow

Go w/ Sheraton Gateway. I stay there frequently & like it for its proximity to check-in counters. It's @ Terminal 3. Walk out & hop on shuttle to your terminal. I don't know about you, but @ 5 in the morning I like to keep things really simple!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM

Great work, Carioca. I know it took time, but you made a good choice.
The Marriott Courtyard's are good. I have stayed at them, although not this particular one. If it's the one at 231 Carlingview,the location is good. Just make sure they have a shuttle. It's only 5 minutes from the airport.

Are you familiar with www.tripadvisor.com
If you go on that site you will see that this hotel got good reviews from other guests.

Good luck.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

to wow
I will be arriving in terminal 1 and leaving to Anchorage from south terminal, UA counter, that I imagine is terminal 2.The Sheraton is terminal 3. Does it make a big difference staying in a Hotel outside the airport if I will have to take the shuttle anyway?
How far are the terminals?Do you think it is much easier staying at the airport to take the shuttle?This are things difficult to realize just from reading and not knowing the place. The Sheraton is more expensive but if it will make us much more confortable and relaxed we should consider the extra cost.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
wow

To me it makes a big difference. When I stay @ Sheraton Gateway T3 I just walk out the door & hop on the shuttle to T1 or T2. Sometimes I leave from T3 but I have not done that for a while. I just like being "right there, at the airport". But I am sure there are others here who will say that it makes no difference. A shuttle is a shuttle. I have never stayed @ any other hotel near the airport so I can't compare.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM

I'm one who will say ...a shuttle is a shuttle..
I have stayed at the hotel at the airport, and I've stayed at hotels on the 'airport strip' and I don't thing it makes much difference...well, maybe 5 or 10 minutes at the most.
If the prices were very close I'd say go for the Sheraton, but truly, the Courtyard is very very close to the airport.

All the terminals are very close together, but not close enough to walk. It's a huge area where the shuttles go round and round.
Quite honestly, your Courtyard shuttle from term 1 might be just as fast as the airport shuttle taking you to term 3 where the other hotel is.