BC hotels--Vancouver & Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM
mlj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC hotels--Vancouver & Victoria

Hello Again!

I am still searching for hotels. Have made some decisions (Whistler, Tofino, Nanaimo/Parksville area). Still need suggestions for the following:

1 night stay in vicinity of Buchart Gardens so we can stop along the way in the Cowichan area on our way from Parksville and then do the Gardens next morning.What about:
Gazebo B&B, Beacon B&B, or Waddling Dog Quality Inn?

In Victoria I am down to Magnolia (which I really like the looks of) or Marriott Inner Harbor.

In Vancouver I "think" I am down to the Wedgewood or the Fairmont Waterfront. The prices for the Fairmont Waterfront are over $100 cheaper on the Travel-Tourism Vancouver site than their own site. Has anyone used this to make reservations?

Will appreciate any and all suggestions. I have spent hours and days and cannot seem to get the hotels selected!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM

I booked at the Victoria Marriott Inner Harbor and at Renaissance Vancouver Harborside for our trip in late May. I really like the Marriott chain and the location of both hotels appears to be real good. We will just do a day trip from Vancouver to Whistler, about 2 hours each way.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM

The Wedgewood and the Fairmont Waterfront are both great choices. I would take the one with the best price. My friend works for tourism BC and they negotiate good raates with several hotels. They are often better than the rack rate quoted by the hotel.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM

By Beacon B&B do you mean the Beacon Inn in Sidney? It's a charming, tidy looking place (judging by the outside). The Waddling Dog is on the highway by a gas station, McDonalds, etc. If I wanted a highway pub hotel I'd probably pick the Sidney Travelodge. Haven't heard about the Gazebo in years so I don't know what it's like these days.

I know someone who enjoyed their recent stay at the Marriott (which is close to but not on the harbour, by the way), but I would check out what construction is going on nearby when you plan to visit.

The Wedgewood is nice enough but I would rather have a water view in Vancouver.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM

can you post the address of the travel webiste for vancouver? i want to check the rate for the fairmont
waterfront. thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:36 AM
mlj
Original Poster

The tourism Vancouver site is:
http://travel-tourismvancouver.com/

Their rates for the Fairmont Waterfront are a lot less than the hotels site. I am also looking at the Wedgewood--but the rates are as good on the hotel site for it. I am trying to find out if there will be construction going on next to the Fairmont Waterfront in October when we plan to be in Vancouver.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:05 AM

This is also a useful map with recently reviewed hotels and restaurants.

http://www.eatsleepgo.com/BritishColumbia.html
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM

The VERY best place in all of Victoria is the Prior House Bed and Breakfast -beautiful rooms, great location and exceptional hostess, Candis!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I will second Prior House and will add a second (to be seconded...) Fairholme Manor. Both are fabulous B&Bs, though quite different in feel. (Take a look at the websites for an idea... but in a nutshell, the decor is more traditional at Prior House and modern at Fairholme Manor.)

http://www.priorhouse.com/
http://www.fairholmemanor.com/

Both properties are in a residential area a 15-20 minute walk from downtown and offer very good value for your money.

At Prior House, I would choose Linden Lea or the Windor Penthouse if you need more space and don't mind stairs (it's on the 3rd floor).

At Fairhome Manor, the Fairholme and the Olympic are the two I would opt for.

I also stayed at the Wedgewood in Vancouver. While it is quite nice, I don't think I would return (unless a place is fabulous, I like to try someplace new). The small but very pretty bathroom had been recently renovated, but the rest of the room needed updates. (Dark and a little dated). The front desk staff were competant though not very friendly (there were even points I felt a little intimidated by them ?!?). They did have one of the nicest evening turndowns that I experienced on my whole trip. (And I am a sucker for turndown service.....)
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Goldilox, We stayed in Hobit Gardens at Prior House -were traveling with kids and needed the extra room and it was great! The turn down service there was great too. As I see you have been to Wedgewood, and I am helping a couple plan there honeymoon to Vancouver/Whistler, and I had thought the Wedgewood or Westin Bayshore looked like the best places, do you know anything about the Westin Bayshore and how it would compare to Wedgewood. They are going and in December and that fireplace is really a nice amnenity for them.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Melanie8 (and everyone else)- I have not been to the Westin Bayshore, so am afraid I cannot comment. My stay in Vancouver was the end of a three week trip that included 15 hotels/inns/b&bs... so I just wanted to stay in one place for two nights!