Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What stops to make on way from Halifax to PEI?

Apr 24th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

We are flying in to Halifax and will spend one night there, and then begin the drive the next day to PEI.
we need some advise as to which route to take and what to see along the way. Also, is the Bay of Fundy easier to see on the way to PEI or is it a trip we should take once we settle in on PEI?
Any feedback on the Marriott Halifax Harbourfront?
Thanks!
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Why donīt you stay in Nova Scotia instead of going to PEI???
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Because our cousins have rented a house there and have invited us to join them.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:30 AM
ltt

so do you only have one day to drive to pei? are you taking extra days to go visit the bay of fundy or does this having to be incorporated into the drive to pei?
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Recently stayed at the Mariott. Had a great harbour view. Good location for downtown Halifax - rooms are nothing special but newly renovated.

In regards to driving to PEI - you have two choices. You can spend a leisurely day and travel to Pictou, enjoy the Town of Pictou and surroundings and take the ferry across. Or you should take a drive up the Sunrise Trail - Truro, Tatamagouche, Pugwash to New Brunswick. ANother option is the opposite shore Truro, Parrsboro, Amherst into New Brunswick and the Confederation Bridge. You will enjoy both routes!
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

We will have one day to do the drive. We are going to head out of Halifax after breakfast.
I would love to go to the Bay of Fundy on the way, but checking the map it appears to be in the opposite direction.
We will be flying home via Moncton in the late afternoon. Maybe it makes more sense to leave PEI early that day and see Bay of Fundy before heading back up to the airport. Not quite sure because I need to find the tidal chart.
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I think Tanya's 3rd option is viable if you want to see Bay of Fundy. Leave Halifax in morning, drive to Truro, take Highway 2 to Parrsboro along Minas Basin, continue along Fundy Shore Drive through Joggins, onto Amherst then into N.B. towards Confederation Bridge
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I agree with Scotia. Even without low tide it is a pretty drive. You won't want to miss stopping at Raspberry Bay Stone, Joy Laking Gallery, The Dutchman (gouda cheese), Parrsboro for lunch, Cape d'Or, etc. You are approximately 45 minutes from Halifax to the turnoff for this route. Leisurely you can do the route in 5-6 hours.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM

ROFL @ Pugwash, NS - I've been there. I think I have a photo of a railway car with a sign on it that says: "Pugwash, NS", taken in the pouring rain.

Nowthen, as to the drive... I'd go from Halifax, to Truro, and then due west to Parrsboro and then up toward Amherst/Sackville. You could probably do a Fodors search here for "Parrsboro" to see how many times I've endorsed that same drive in previous posts.

Perhaps the single best spot to get the most dramatic effect of the high tides in the Bay of Fundy would be Hopewell Cape, NEW BRUNSWICK.

This would add 83 miles EACH WAY from Sackville, New Brunswick (on the highway to PEI).

Use the following link to TIDE TABLES to figure out the ideal times to visit Hopewell Cape. (at extreme LOW TIDE if you can only go once)

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30

If I were you, RIGHT NOW, while you're thinking about it, I would PRINT A LIST of ALL of the tide tables for a couple of spots in the area, JUST IN CASE it might come in handy.

For you, I'd use "Truro" and "Hopewell Cape". Then you could know in advance when the optimum time to visit Hopewell Cape would be on the chance that you have some leisure time.

And these aren't the tides in the bathtub, and nothing makes that more clear than the ominous sign at Hopewell Cape which states: "Warning, you must be off of this beach by _____ to avoid being trapped by the incoming tide!"

But this is no worry because tides are PREDICTABLE.

C'mon, won't you risk a sheet of paper in preparation, just to print the tide tables for the full duration of your time in the area... just on friendly advice from somebody who loves it there?