Search

BC Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
mlj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC Accommodations

I would appreciate some feedback on accommodations I have narrowed down to (I think)!

Whistler: decided on Alpine Chalet

Tofino: Middle Beach Lodge -- Headlands Lodge Unit

Nanaimo/Parkersville: Coast Bastian Inn or Waterfront Welcome B&B

Victoria: Marriott Inner Harbor, Magnolia, or Delta Ocean Pointe

Vancouver: Georgia Court, Marriott Pinnacle, or Hampton Inn and Suites

Any comments or other suggestions will be much appreciated. We are going for two weeks in October.

Thanks~
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Hi I haven't stayed at the Alpine village but I looked it up and it's in a good location and price seems reasonable. the Delta ocean point is good in Victoria. I've stayed at Hampton Inn and Suites It was very good. I heard that the Georgian court was just newly renovated and that the rooms are large. I would say that all your options are good and I would choose depending on price. Another option at whistler would be The Horstmann house. It is very nice, that's where we usually stay if not at freinds places.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

I grew up in Victoria and now live in Vancouver so my family and I have fairly extensive direct experience with hotels in the region.

Not sure what your budget is, whether you're travelling with children etc., youngish or mature etc., but here's my two cents worth on the properties you mentioned:

The Magnolia is one of my favorite hotels in Victoria -- it is very centrally located within walking distance of many attractions and manages to feel sleek and cozy at the same time. The new Marriott is somewhat larger and more corporate feeling, but it, too, is very well located (worth booking a room with a view in this property). The Ocean Point Resort is a nice enough hotel, but you will need to drive everywhere -- it's on the other side of the harbour.

Somewhat unusual choices for Vancouver. Perhaps a bit more detail of what you would like to be near, value in hotel or neighbourhood?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM
mlj
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We are not traveling with children and in Vancouver would like to be in the downtown area or on the harbor. I think in Victoria, therefore, we will delete the Delta Ocean Pointe. I am really having a hard time deciding where to go in Vancouver. I'm open to suggestions and recomendations!
Thanks again~
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hi If you want to be by the water you may want to look at the Bayshore hotel. It is close to Stanley Park but also just a walk up to Robson. I also like the Delta Inn and Suites on West Hastings.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM

The Westin Bayshore is beautifully located, with Stanley Park right on its doorstep and the harbour right in front of it. It is a brisk 15 minute walk or $5 taxi ride to the downtown area, however.

There are dozens of hotels in the relatively compact downtown area. Whenever possible, I steer people away from the areas which are downright seedy (Granville Street) or which principally contain office rather than retail space and thus tend to empty out at night. One small drawback of staying in the hotels right on the water is the 10-minute walk through the dull commercial zone one must make to get the the shops and restaurants centered around the Art Gallery and Robson Street. However, the two nicest hotels on the waterfront are the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront.

Vancouver is blessed with some large hotels which are highly rated by the Conde Naste's and Mobil's of the world. Those include the Sutton Place Hotel just north of Robson Street and the Four Seasons Hotel near the Art Gallery. Both are excellent and, in my view, preferable to the somewhat generic offerings of the chains in the area -- Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton -- none of which stands out in any meaningful sense. Also on the Art Gallery square is the venerable Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Nice public spaces, but the smaller rooms are very small indeed.

A hotel which is repeatedly recognized as one of the finest boutique hotels in Canada -- an assessment I heartily concur with -- is the Wedgwood Hotel: www.wedgewoodhotel.com. If your budget can accommodate it, I would advise you to let it accommodate you. It has a fabulous bar and restaurant, too, and is steps away from everything.

A more modestly priced hotel with a prime location worth your consideration is the Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Has anyone used the babysitting services at the Westin (or any other resort for that matter?) we will be bringing our (to be) 7 month old with us and wanted to get away for a 4 hour white water trip. Anyone have any experiences positive or negative on using the recommended nanny or babysitting services?
Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM

great, great place.

excellent for nice views, great photos, every sundown is a masterpiece and enjoyable moment.

McKenzie beach is in walking distance (just don’t forget to watch for the tide tables, yes the tides could be very dangerous if you don’t check the hours, they vary during daytime so keep an eye on that)

lovely place, for winter time there is a beautiful hall on the main building with a fireplace. Also a nice viewing deck, but each room has is own view. But when there is wind, it get really cold, so bring your jackets with you.

choose the lodges that are viewing to the ocean or to the north for the best views. The ones that look to McKenzie beach are a little dark and we don’t recommend the view.

nothing more than waking up with the sound of the ocean and the sunlight.

the lodges, remember are fully wood made and off course, you hear noises in the night and cracking of the wood. So if you don’t like that, don’t choose this place ( better go to the TinWis on McKenzie Beach ).

All lodges are twin lodges so just concentrate that your neighbor is not to loud, but on that place everybody is really on a calm Tofino Time Rhythm

so take a big break and enjoy the beautiful place.

another think the road to the lodges is a little bumpy and on some places and curves there are blind spots so don’t rush there are all two way lanes.

but we would definitely go there again.

happy trip

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM

Oooops sorry, I forgot to mention that the recomendation is for the Middle Beach Lodge -- Headlands Lodge Unit
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM

Martha...north facing...?
As in small cabins to the side of Headlands vs. Beach House part of Middle Beach?

Just get confused by their maps. Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:37 PM

Hi Goldmana000 we used the babysitting at a resort in Florida. Our kids were 5yrs and 3 yrs ,we left the 8month old with grandparents, we were at a conference in the hotel. The babysitting was good then. If you are going WW rafting you will probably be longer than 4 hours. ? out of Vancouver. The fraser, Thompson, Chillawack rivers? There is a certain amount of trust you need to take in the people who babysit, this being said once you meet the person if you get good vibes go. if not cancel your plans. I used to be a white water canoeing instructer so I hope this works out. I have a 15 yr old daughter, I'm an R.N. My sister has 16,and 17yr old girls she's a doctor. maybe we should start a side business for our kids?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:03 AM

Our family (2 adults and a 15 year old) stayed at the Waterfront Welcome B&B in the summer of 2003. It was an absolutely beautiful home built as a B&B and the owners were wonderful. You could come and go as you please and literally make yourself at home. They had to go out one day early and it was help yourself to the kitchen etc. The view from the back is amazing and so are the breakfasts. I never had anyone ask me my likes, preferences allergies etc and when we arrived we sat for tea so they could get to know us. They have most of the area restaurant menus there and made a reservation for us (with a view of the water) at the local yacht area. I still have their business card in my wallet and that was almost 3 summers ago. We stayed in quite a few B&B's on that trip and it was right at the top. Hopefully you either have booked the upper balcony (which) we had or the larger one directly below. If it is still run by Gary and Cathy, you will not be disappointed. Remember to comment on the diamond pattern after he vaccuums!!! ( A type personality)
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM

We just returned the other day from Victoria. While not on your list, you might want to consider Abigail's Hotel. Wonderful place! Their website is www.abigailshotel.com. The room was great, the staff were very nice and helpful, breakfasts were very good, and they have a wine/appetizer hour each evening in the library. It is not right in the inner harbor, but about a 5 minute walk. Also very close to Beacon Hill Park which was nice.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM

Sorry, to response a little late.

In the Middle Beach lodge, there're two sections:

1. At the beach, where you can find suites, and it's adult section. And you have access to middle beach.

2. At the headlands, where you can find cabins and suites in the main building (Beach house also), you have access to MacKenzie beach.

We were in a cabin at the headlands (number 47), and the view were amazing.
We didn't have time to go to Middle Beach, so we can't compare between both. But I think the view are excellent in both sections.