best western inner harbour
holiday inn express
victoria regent
laurel point inn
thanks
oberman
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know which choice is best in Vanvouver but I can tell you about Victoria. First let me know what you are wanting as a priority - location - price etc. There are other good choices in Victoria and also when are you planning on visiting????
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:16 AM

Of your Vancouver choices I have only stayed at Le Soleil. It was OK but there was no view.

In Victoria, Laurel Point and the Regent are on the water, the rest aren't. The Royal Scot has had good reviews here. All are in a good location, except for the Holiday Inn which I would take out of the mix.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody for yours replay.
will be in vitoria for 3 nights in the end of this month and in vancouver for 3 nights first week in august.
my priorities are : safe hotel, location and nice modern room with a nice view.i got 154 cad for royal scot ,159 cad for the holiday inn , 194 cad for the best western and 199 cad for victoria regent and the laurel point/
in vancouver all hotels around 210-220 cad .
thanks again
thanks
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM

In Victoria you don't have to worry about safe area. There isn't a bad area but the hotels you mention are certainly in a good location as far as that is concerned. The only hotels that would give you the view are the Regent and the Laurel Point. Right now there is a special on for the Harbour Towers which is in an excellent location and most rooms would have a view. In our paper this weekend they are offering Sun - Thurs $99 and Fri Sat $109. This is a very nice hotel but you can check their website www.harbourtowers.com

Between the Regent and Laurel Point I would choose Laurel Point. It is directly on the water. The Regent is on a busy street but faces the water. If you didn't have a water view room it may be a bit noisy. There are other nice hotels with water view that are lovely - The Grand Pacific, Ocean Pointe, Coast Harbourside etc. A lot are listed with pictures at this website http://www.victoriahotelbureau.com/index.php If you have any questions regarding any of them just ask!!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Just got back from Vancouver and stayed at the Listel. Wasn't impressed at all and as for Robson Street, not sure what the big deal is! The Opus in Yaletown looks great and fun area. The Westin Bayshore looked great with nice views.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM

That seems like a good price for the Royal Scot. Does it come with a kitchen? Think 'apartment building' because it used to be one. I'd be inclined to go with that (no real view to speak of but convenient location) and splurge on a wonderful view at the Bayshore in Vancouver.

I love the location of Laurel Point in Victoria, with its lawns down to the water. You can sit on a bench and watch the harbour action or walk the lovely pathway toward town. The only downside for me is that the harbour view rooms face north-ish. I would hope for a sunnier water view room at the Regent but there it may be noisier. Having not stayed at either, I can't say which would be my preference.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

thank you all.
a question: is air condition necessary in victoria and vancouver? (for end of july begining or august)
thanks again
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I've lived in Vancouver, without air conditioning, for 19 years. So no, it's not necessary, and in fact most people don't have it. Ditto for Victoria.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:54 PM

You'll be lucky if you need air conditioning in Victoria.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Unless you enjoy sleeping with a fan and an open window, AC is advised for Vancouver in the summer. Virtually every hotel built inVancouver in the last 30 years has AC so I don't think it should be an issue.

True though, most Victoria hotels don't have AC and for 330 days a year that is no problem but there are about 30-40 days a year when the evenings are too warm to sleep without at least a fan and open window.

We jsut returned from Victoria sand stayed at the Hotel Grand Pacific. It was top notch - as good quality as you'll find in Victoria and right on the Harbour with beutiful views. You should be able to swing a regular room for about $200 except perhaps on weekends. It's also one of the few hotels with AC by the way.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:50 AM

For Vancouver, I would pick the Crowne Plaza. It has a great location right on West Georgia between the Four Seasons and the Fairmont, across from the Art Gallery, and is a well regarded hotel. The only thing it probably won't have is much of a view but you could ask.

Le Soleil looks very elegant but has had lots of management problems.

The Listel and Pacific Palisades are a notch down from those two, along Robson Street. I haven't been in either of them but you might be able to get a view.