Ottawa during christmas time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be inOttawa from 22nd dec to 25th Dec. Please advice what are the things to do during then? What should not be missed? I cannot skate on Rideau canal as I'm pregnant.
Also, how is Ottawa Marriot? Which rooms have good view? Any good restaurants serving good crepes near there?
If we plan to go to Montreal for a day trip, what should be done? Please advice.
Thanks-Preeya
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM

The Marriott - ask for a room facing Parliament and the Chateau Laurier; the hotel is connected to the Rideau Centre for shopping. And it's not far from the Market with all sorts of restaurants, the National Gallery; I've heard the Christmas lights are super.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
ron

I think SallyCanuck is describing the Westin, not the Marriott. The Marriott is about a 15 minute walk from the area she describes.

The Marriott is in a 20+ storey building, so I imagine any room on a higher floor would give a good view, but to the north would probably be best.

Your prgnancy won't affect your skating; the canal is not open for skating and won't be for a couple of weeks, unless we get some consistent really cold weather.

The only creperie I am aware of is Café crêpe de France in the By Ward Market. I haven't eaten there in years so can't comment.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM

It's the Westin, not the Marriott, which is connected to the Rideau Centre, a large indoor shopping mall. You'll find mostly chain stores there--the more interesting shops are just north of it in the Byward Market.

The Marriott Ottawa is about 5 blocks to the west on Kent St. (There is also a Marriott Courtyard in the Market and a Marriott Residence Inn on Laurier, but I assume it is the Marriott Ottawa where you are staying). It's a good hotel, and has a revolving restaurant on top (Merlot) with great panoramic view. I don't know about guest rooms, but the northern and eastern exposures would be best. However, if you don't get a good view, have a meal at Merlot.

Most attractions will be open until mid-afternoon on Dec 24. Everything will likely be closed on Christmas Day,

There are many museums and galleries well worth visiting, but the top three in my opinion are the Canadian Museum of Civilization across the river in Gatineau, the National Gallery of Canada and the new Canadian War Museum. These are all close to the downtown core.

Parliament Hill is another must see. The Parliament buildings are open to tour, and you shouldn't miss a trip to the top of the Peace Tower for a great view (yes it does have an levator). At night Parliament Hill and much of the downtown area are lit by millions of Christmas lights which are, as SallyCanuck says, simply spectacular.

For crepes, you might try Café Crêpe de France on Murray St. in the Byward Market. It's not far from the Marriott, but a bit too far to walk at this time of year. There are many other restaurants there as well, and I'm sure that some of them will offer crepes.

I think that with the time available you will have plenty to do and see in Ottawa, but if you do want to go to Montreal for the day, the train is a two hour trip, and takes you to downtown Montreal. However, I'd save Montreal for another visit when you have more time.

For more information, check these websites:
http://www.capcan.ca/bins/ncc_web_co...297&lang=1

http://ottawa.ca/visitors/index_en.html

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/forms/index.asp?intSite=1
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sallycanuck, ron and laverendrye! Your info helps!laverendrye, do you think the tour to the top of Parliament will be open now, because I heard the change of guard is closed after Nov! We do have a car, so driving to downtown, museums and other areas to eat should'nt be a problem. I live in Boston, so what are good things to shop from Ottawa, as a speciality or momento? Thanks-Preeya
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Hello Preeya:

The Parliament Buildings and Peace Tower will be open until 12:00 on Dec 24. The Changing of the Guard only takes place in July and August Here's more information: http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/visitors/index-e.asp

For distinctive gifts, I would recommend The Snow Goose on Sparks St (Indian and Inuit handicraft and art works). Canada's Four Corners nearby is also good. The Museum of Civilization and the National Gallery have good gift shops, as do the Parliament Buildings. You will find distinctive and good quality gifts in all of these.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much laverendrye! I'm so looking forward to the trip.
Preeya
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Oops, sorry for getting the hotel wrong.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM

The Westin, by the way, is lovely, if you can stay there. I was there in June and had a view of Parliament and the Rideau Canal. It was breathtaking and the perfect spot to walk anywhere in town. Ottawa is a great walking city. Enjoy - it's particularly beautiful at this time of year! With the major snowfall we recently had in Quebec and Ontario, it will be lovely.