Best Marriott to Stay in Paris and Suggestions rel Christmas in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Paris this Christmas and would welcome any thoughts regarding which of the following 4 Paris Marriotts would be the best (we're using points so we're limiting our choice to Marriotts):
Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees - 70 Avenue des Champs-Elysees;
Hotel Le Parc - Trocadero Paris - 55-57 Avenue Raymond;
Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel - 4, Rue du Mont Thabor;
Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel and Conference Center- 17 Blvd. Saint Jacques.

Suggestions regarding unique things to do and see in Paris at Christmastime (particularly inexpensive things) would also be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM

We just spent 5 days at the Rive Gauche and it was really wonderful. The staff were great, the rooms were comfortable and decent sized. What we liked most about it was that while it wasn't right in the middle of the tourist area, the Glacier metro stop is just a few yards from the front door, (but there is no noise whatsoever from that). From there you can connect to Denfert-Rochero (that's not the right spelling) metro or other lines and be all over Paris in 15 minutes or less. You can also catch the bus if you like seeing where you're going, also very close.
We used our reward points and then upgraded to the executive level and the lounge is great, lots of good food, computers, TV's, all kinds of drinks, and the staff there were very accommodating.
Everything in the hotel worked fine, they couldn't have been more helpful. I left my camera there on the day before we departed for the US, called them and they immediately found it, registered it, and when we arrived they brought it out and made sure it was OK and that it really did belong to us. I was thankful for that, just in case someone else could be dishonest.
There is a nice restaurant, bar, lobby, parking, a large fitness area, even a hair salon.
I think you would like this one, but I'm sure the others are quite nice, too.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Renaissance Paris Vendome is in a lovely neighborhood and is a very nice Marriott. Rooms are nicely decorated in tans and browns and perhaps a bit masculine but comfortable, clean, and not dated.

Location is excellent for all the touristy things and I think would be quite nice at Christmas.

Can't help with Christmas ideas but have a good trip.

gruezi
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM

I've stayed at the Rive Gauche location and at the Champs-Elysees Marriott. I liked the Rive Gauche location better of the two but that's personal opinion. At the time I stayed there, maybe 2-3 years ago, Marriott had just taken over the hotel from another vendor so things were a little chaotic. I remember a few mix-ups about charges for online access but I also remember they were cleared up in my favor.

The Champs-Elysees location is very glam; just down and across the street from the new Louis Vuitton store and of course in the middle of the C-E glitz. Hotel itself was small-ish (for a Marriott) with good service. With your points the room will be no cost but watch the other costs--the bar price list, breakfast, coffee, etc. were all very high.

All you have to do is go out on the street and you'll find a Paul and other similar places for a quick bite to eat. There's a Monoprix on the corner as well. I think the Paul was carryout only, unlike some which have tables. And, on the side streets just off the boulevard we found reasonable cafes and restaurants.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM
cw

Can't help with the hotel part, but there are many things to do on Christmas.

The Jacquemart-Andre Museum, the Pompidou Center, and the Natural History Museum are open. Many people go see the Christmas windows of the big department stores.

We found quite a few cafes and restaurants open. Just for an example, look at the Flo brasserie group: http://www.flobrasseries.com/

I'm sure your hotel can help you with other suggestions.

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:39 PM

bookmarking
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM

Hi Murph,
We stayed this spring at the Champs de Elysee (4 days) and then the Trocadero (5 days) for a change of view. Our daughter stayed at the Vendome.
The Champs de Elysee has the largest rooms w/ the largest bathrooms (but you really won't spend that much time in your room while visiting Paris). Their staff was extremely helpful in directing us about Paris. One of the best parts about the location is its convinience to the metro - just a block away. The sidewalks on the avenue are at least 20 feet wide w/ crowds of people walking up and down them (especially at night).
The Trocadero was more quaint, smaller room and bath; we didn't find the staff to be as helpful or knowledgeable about information....and the metro was a much longer walk away. But there was something special about staying in that area, it was walkable to the overlook of the Eiffel Tower and the neighborhood restaurants were cozy. It almost felt like we lived in Paris while in that neighborhood.
The Vendome was like a boutique hotel, more like an inn and convenient to metros.
We saw the Rive Gauche, but did not stay there, it felt as if it was far from most of the sites.
If you have to choose, be assured that any of the 3 that we experienced would be fine. If we went back, we would split it up just like we did this time to get a feel for different areas. Depending on how long you're staying, you could do the same (we stayed w/ points also)....we used a cab to transfer from one hotel to another about 4-5 pm (checking out early and asking the 1st hotel to hold our luggage while we did our sightseeing for the day). Have a wonderful time - it's quite a bargain to stay in Paris using your points!