Help planning July/Aug family trip to Italy with teens/young adult

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy 7/25 - 8/10, 2009 (16 nights)with our children, ages 15, 17 and 20. We have already booked our flights and a villa in Tuscany. So far, this is our itinerary:
Sat 7/25 Arrive Rome 5:30pm
Sun 7/26 Rome
Mon 7/27 Rome
Tues 7/28 Rome to ?
Wed 7/29 ?
Th 7/30 ?
Fri 7/31 ?
Sat 8/1-Fri 8/7 Tuscany
Sat 8/8 Tuscany to Milan (by car) to Paris (by air)
Sun 8/9 Paris
Mon 8/10 Paris to Home(Depart Paris 3:55pm)

I need advice on (1) where to stay in Rome (price range $300+ per night per room) (2)how to spend the week before Tuscany. I was originally thinking Rome for 3 nights, then Portovenere & Cinque Terre. Now I'm wondering if we should just stay in Rome and do day trips from Rome, like Pompeii, ect. or maybe Rome for 3 days, then Umbria. The kids and spouse have never been to Italy, and kids will enjoy some sightseeing/museums,but will also enjoy r& r, biking, hiking, mountains or beaches--am thinking 7 days in Rome would be too much of a big city...
(3) How to spend the 7 nights in Tuscany? (We are staying near San Gimignano at IL BORGHETTO di Cortennano based on the advice of 2 friends)
Also, I know the 1.5 days in Paris at the end is crazy, but that's hubby's idea--just a taste of Paris for the next trip!
Sorry this post is so long,
Thanks in advance, love reading this forum, have learned so much.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM

A week in Rome is definitely not too much, unless you really hate cities. There is so much to see there. I would definitely suggest more than two days. Stay there until at least the 30th so you have four days.

Will you be visiting Florence from your Tuscan location? If not, the two days left could be spent there.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

If you were not going to Italy at the end of July, I would encourage you to stay in Rome all those extra days because on 7/26 you will be very jet-lagged and may be also on the 27 and 28. But in July/August it will be VERY hot. I mean, 90 degree, high-humidity hot. Walking around city streets then is not much fun, IMHO. However, if you are used to that kind of weather, then go ahead and stay, because there is so much to see, not just in Rome but places like Ostia Antica and Tivoli, on day trips.

If you stay, rent an apartment. You can get one for less money than renting rooms in hotels, you will have more room to relax and be together, and you can make some of your meals. Just be sure to get a place near the historic center so you are not standing in the hot sun waiting for buses, which are not very cool inside. And get an apt. with A/C, obviously. Look on slowtrav.com for apartment reviews.

Be aware that the beaches in Italy will be jammed with Italians and other Europeans while you are there. It's their holiday time.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Dear Lebb64

I am replying to your post because my family and I (husband, two kids ages 14 and 12) will be going to Italy from July 19 through the 31st and then to Paris for five days (daughter's idea)! We are planning to spend the first six days in Rome, then traveling to Venice for four, flying to Paris for the remaining five days. I wish I had not planned the Paris part as I would rather spend the time in the Italian countryside as you are doing, but I had a weak moment and booked this crazy trip.

We will be staying in apartments as I like the additional space and we will make some of our own meals. For that time of year, I am definitely looking for an air conditioned apartment, although I haven't booked our accommodations quite yet.

I agree with other posters that slowtravel has very good apartment reviews for Rome. I am sure you will find something.

Please keep posting to let me know what your plans are and where you'll be staying.

ddtripper
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Hi Lebb
This looks like a great trip. Yes Rome will be hot but we have never found it unbearable - and we have always had to visit in July/August. Either stay in Rome and day trip or take a couple of days on the coast (Sabaudia or Gaeta perhaps) but as Charnees says everywhere will be very busy.
Hotels in cental Rome are expensive - are you looking for 2 rooms or 3? Would a convent be suitable?
I notice that you are starting your rental in Tuscany on Saturday 1st August - are you travelling there by car? If so, be aware that the traffic is likely to be terrible as this will be the day most of Italy starts out on holiday! The A1 can be particularly bad. Off the main roads things will be better. Get your family to choose one place/activity each and don't try to see everything - just enjoy and have a great time
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information. Spiral, thanks so much for the traffic info for our drive to Tuscany--yes we plan to rent a car. And now I'm thinking maybe we should spend 4 days in Rome, then go to Florence for 2 days as SusanP suggested. Then we're only an hour or so from the villa on Aug 1.
ddtripper, I love the idea of an apt for the extra space and time together, but I've had a hard time finding Rome apts in a good location for less than 7 nights. My gut instinct is that 4 days in Rome will be plenty for my fam--ok to leave sights to see the next time...Anyone know of apt that rents for less than 7? One other question: Anyone have any thoughts about staying a couple of nights in Orvieto or Perugia?
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM

what do your kids want to do? where do they want to go?
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM

We stayed at the Westin in Rome and it was lovely; don't know the price/night in July (we were there in august). I'd check on venere.com for options and just make sure you have A/C. Where are you staying in Tuscany? Have you seen Florence or could you adjust the timeline a bit and do Tuscany villa on 7/30 to 8/3 and then head up to Florence before using Milan as your transportation/jumping off spot to Paris. Milan has a lot of offer (last supper, la scala, duomo, ferrari store, etc) as well.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Momliz and Spiral for suggestions to involve my kids in the planning--they are so busy it's just easier for me to do it all, but I like the idea to have each one pick one or more places/activities that they want to see or do. I've certainly got enough travel books cluttering the house for them to consult! Grazie!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Our boys were teens when we began going to europe. I was amazed at how opinionated(in a good way) they were about where they wanted to go and what they wanted to see. When we said Italy...they immediately said Venice and 'David'. This was after we'd already been to Rome. Your children will also be old enough to either be left alone (as at the villa in tuscany at a pool) while you spend time as a couple or they can easily head back to the hotel if they get tired of the touring in a city. You'll have a wonderful time no matter what!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Hi Lebb64,
We are going to Italy June/July next year in a group with two 18s, one 16 and one 20 year old. We feel that we should mix city, country and beaches for them in case there attention span for museums etc. runs out. So for you, maybe a few days in Cinque Terre would be great (hiking, swimming, kayaking, snorkelling) with four nights in Rome without the day trips as you really only have 3 full days to cover the main sites. I suppose that you will be visiting Florence from your base near San Gimignano, so your kids might like the Segway tour in Florence. Lucca is also on our list for bike riding. Have fun!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM

in discussing our trip to France when we got back, I found out that my oldest, then 15, wanted to do a few things that never even crossed my mind. Mostly, he wanted to meet some kids and hang out, and get to know them. I wish I had involved him in the planning so that we could have tried at least to do that.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM

There are lots of apartments that rent for less than 7 days!! Our apartment in Rome rented by the day. We found it on sleepinitaly.com. Slowtrav.com has lots of apartment reviews.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 01:38 PM

Lebb64

You might try asking for a booking less than the full week. I booked a rental apt in Paris for four nights when the listing said weekly. I think I'm paying an extra cleaning fee, but that's OK. Give it a try.

Good luck!