Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to determine time of year to go to Italy???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband and I are beginning to plan our first trip to Italy and are trying to figure out when would be a better time to go (considering weather, tourist time, prices, etc). As of now, we aren't exactly sure where in Italy we want to go to, but we'd like to hit most of the typical places (Rome, Venice, Tuscany, etc). We are looking at going either around Memorial Day, beginning of July or beginning of September. (If my husband had it his way, he'd say Memorial Day b/c I've told him no kids till we go to Italy and he wants them now!) I've read that summers are extremely hot in Italy and therefore September would be a better time to go. I've also heard that its a little cheaper then too.
Not sure if this makes any difference, but we'll probably do a couple days in Paris either before or after Italy.
Sorry this is such a broad question, but in my quick search, I wasn't able to find anything that addressed this...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Erica
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM

July would probably be quite hot, depending on where you want to go. I went to Rome and to Liguria in mid-June and it was absolutely beautiful. You might want to check on www.weather.com and look at the averages for rain/heat and then talk to your travel agent.

We went at the height of the tourist season and I wouldn't change it. We went for two weeks and it rained once for 20 minutes the first week and another time for about 10 minutes the second week. BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:23 PM

Erica,

I went to Rome this past Feb and had 4 very good days - weather wise. I prefer the off season - cooler, less crowded and cheaper to get to Europe. The flights in July and Sept will still be expensive and Italy and Paris will be hot. It might be cheaper to fly to Paris first and then take a budget airline to Rome. This is how I did it - went to London first and then took Ryan Air to Rome - much cheaper than if I had flown California to Rome directly.

I would suggest going in the off season if it is possible. I loved Rome and want to go back and explore more of Italy. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:36 PM
cmt

Of the choices you gave, I'd pick September. But really, I'd prefer to go even later. I wouldn't go in summer unless there were no other time I could go. However, for people who can only travel in summer, I certainly don't think they should avoid going just because it's not an ideal time. when I was a young teacher with summers off, I traveled in the summer, and was thrilled to be able to do so.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM

High season in Italy is now from Easter to the middle of Oct.--supply and demand at work. Prices do not change until Nov. I prefer May or after Sep 15 and before Oct. 15. Do not go in July or August. See my sample itineraires at slowtrav.com
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Of those, definitely May or September.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:39 PM
rex

And May beats September; cheaper, and the days are longer. (May 1 is 50 days from the summer solstice; Sep 1 is 70 - - and May 31 is 20 days away; Sep 30 is 100).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:47 PM

May is wonderful!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:50 PM

July and August are the hottest months and also peak seasons. I would go September ..although I am really going this coming August.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM

I've been in both may and Sept and had wonderful weather in both. I dont think you can lose with those 2 months!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:20 AM

We were there the last two weeks of May and the weather was perfect. Sunny and 75 degrees during the day and cool enough in the evening to wear a light jacket or sweater.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Personally, I would choose September, my husband and I will be traveling throughout Italy this Sept. I will post a trip report and let you know how my holiday was. Good luck in planning your trip!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:02 AM

..If doing the major cities as outlined, definitely avoid the summer..I'd probably choose early May or end of Sept...However, if you had no interest in any beach type places (Positano ect), go in the OFF-OFF season if you want to see the museums, save on hotels and flight..BUT for a first visit you may want to spend time walking, sitting in outdoor cafes and as the weather can get cool and rainy in the winter months the late spring early fall makes more sense..just avoid easter week.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:51 AM

"Message: May is wonderful!"

Not this May it wasn't!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Hi all,

what are your thoughts on Rome, over the Thanksgiving holidays? does this tend to be a good combo of tolerable weather and better prices? (I know, climate is what you expect, weather is what you get...)
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Flygirl, I have been in Rome over the Thanksgiving holidays, and it was great. Had the Vatican practically to ourselves. Walked in about 11 a.m., no lines. Same with the Forum. It can be cold but I would rather be cold than hot and sweaty. I particularly love Florence, Rome and Venice in November.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM
tmh

I also have traveled to Italy over Thanksgiving. Besides cooler weather, lower costs, and few travelers I was also able to use 5 days of vacation but be gone 11 days ( obviously leaving Wed before TD).
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM

tmh - exactly why I am thinking of that timeframe! although I will only add a day or two to it, make this a loooong weekend.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I was in rome in early to mid jan, and it was great, no lines, cheeper prices (well maybe not because of the crappy exchange rate) it did rain a little, but it was not really that cole 40's 50's and beacsue i walked everywhere my body stayed pretty warm, and i was able to get out of two weeks of frigid north east weather